Contribute
Register

MSI GeForce GT 710 2GB the "Jack of all Trades" Graphics card $60 @ Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think SMBIOS = MacPro6.1 is also a recommended choice.
For a hackintosh yes, but you can't install one in a 6,1 Mac Pro. They can only use AMD FirePro cards. Edhawk was talking about Macs that Apple builds and sells.

And if noise is a consideration for you then there is a silent/fanless version too :

View attachment 526309

Yep, these are very good cards. Sadly just like the Zotac same model I also have, there are graphic artefacts present in Preview and the Photos app when running Big Sur.

Last edited:
When most macOS compatible cards start at over $300 or more, it's good to see you can still get something that works with Sierra through Big Sur for less than $70. Gives you graphics acceleration and Metal support. You can put one in most any form factor case, use HDMI 1.4 or the DVI ouput with most any monitor. Plug and play, it just works with no effort on your part. Provides only iGPU like graphics performance so don't expect to game with this unless it's Dota 2 on medium settings at 1080p. Install it on AMD hacks that have no iGPU that works in macOS. Most flexible of any card you can buy for use in a hackintosh these days. Best of all, these are in stock too.

View attachment 526305View attachment 526386

You say this card is compatible with Sierra thru Big Sur - yet it had Nvidia chipset, does it not? I understood there were no Nvidia drivers for anything newer than High Sierra. I'm currently running a GTX750 on High Sierra but the latest updates from Adobe Lightroom CC require a higher Mac version. What drivers does this card require to run with Mojave/Catalina/Big Sur? And which system? I am currently using iMac 14.2.

You say this card is compatible with Sierra thru Big Sur - yet it had Nvidia chipset, does it not? I understood there were no Nvidia drivers for anything newer than High Sierra. I'm currently running a GTX750 on High Sierra but the latest updates from Adobe Lightroom CC require a higher Mac version. What drivers does this card require to run with Mojave/Catalina/Big Sur? And which system? I am currently using iMac 14.2.

I think SMBIOS = MacPro6.1 is also a recommended choice.
Recommended for What?

The Mac Pro 6,1 is the 'Trash Can' 2013 Mac Pro model. I don't think it allows you to install an alternative Nvidia dGPU.

Apple have never offered it with an Nvidia dGPU.

So it matches the criteria for Apple to drop the support of the Kepler range of dGPU's.

Recommended for What?

The Mac Pro 6,1 is the 'Trash Can' 2013 Mac Pro model. I don't think it allows you to install an alternative Nvidia dGPU.

Apple have never offered it with an Nvidia dGPU.

So it matches the criteria for Apple to drop the support of the Kepler range of dGPU's.
I don't know what to say, but not everyone can buy AMD GPUs that can be used with Low Profile.
Displaying MacOS on the screen with an available GPU doesn't seem like a bad choice to me.

I was using an Nvidia 710 for years in my first Hackintosh computers because it was cheap and easy to get.
I later move on to the 730 because the 710 was not supported during upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra.
Is it easy to use today ?

I want to upgrade to 5700XT or Radeon Vega but they are too expensive to day.

When will supply of NEW graphics cards come down ?

Is it easy to use today ?

I want to upgrade to 5700XT or Radeon Vega but they are too expensive to day.
Certain models work with all versions of macOS from High Sierra through Big Sur. I've not tested Monterey yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back