Contribute
Register

MSI GE72 7RD Apache (Intel Graphics Help please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI GE72 7RD Apache-Clover
CPU
i7-7700HQ/HM175
Graphics
HD630, 1920x1080
First of all, thank you so so much everyone involved in supporting this forum...

The Graphics issue is solved. I simply rebuild the cache AFTER booting with the fake IG id, a step I did not do earlier. On to the next step: Enable Audio and disabling Nvidia. Mods, please remove "Intel Graphics Help please", I would like to remain here as a Guide for my laptop model.

The problem was:

I successfully installed High Sierra 10.13.4 on my system (specs of which are below). I also got most of the hardware running, essential at least. The only thing missing is the Intel Graphics Driver & Audio. I did manage to get Audio yesterday with Voodoo audio driver but have not installed them again after a fresh install. Anyhow, my main issue was that Clover was getting stuck in the boot process to High Sierra when I use the HD boot option BUT there were no issues if I booted using the Clover boot loader from Installer USB. I ended up changing ig-platform-id to fake 0x12345678 and to my surprise the system booted up but ofcourse without the GPU properly detected.

I have checked in Windows GPU-Z, the dedicated memory to Intel is showing as 128MB and there is no way for me to change that in BIOS. Am I correct in assuming that DVMT patch is not required in my case? Or am I wrong in assuming that it is only for devices with 32MB dedicated memory for the Intel Graphics? In any case, I have gone through a lot of topics here; even put everything up from MSI G62 laptop that golden egg has done but it also did not solve my issue. I did try disabling the said patch from Clover Configurator but despite being disabled, the same thing, it would not boot unless I give the fake 0x12345678.

So please guys, can someone tell me what my next course of action should be? I am attaching my Clover folder also without Themes as required. While I have put the specs below as well as the steps I took (for personal future reference as well as others with the same laptop).​

Laptop:
MSI GE72 7RD Apache
Motherboard/Chipset: 1799/Intel HM175
Processor: Intel Kabylake i7-7700HQ
RAM: 8GB x 2 = 16GB
Storage: 256GB NVMe SSD (Windows 10) + 1TB 7200 RPM HDD (Storage) + 128GB SSD (High Sierra - This is connected with the laptop using a Caddy but everything shows as Internal)
Network: Atheros 2500 Killer GB LAN + Intel Wifi (I will have to look up exact model once booted into Windows again)
Graphics: Intel HD 630 128MB Dedicated + GTX 1050 4GB
Display: 17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz/5ms
Clover: Rehabman's latest Clover

The process I followed for installation:

• Created High Sierra Installer USB using Unibeast, which booted without issues to Installer where I created two Partitions on the 128GB SSD, one 64GB for High Sierra and another 64GB for Time Machine Backups - which serves an excellent purpose thanks to Apple.
  • After first boot, installed Clover from Rehabman's repository with options:
    • "Install for UEFI booting only "and "Install Clover in the ESP"
    • "BGM" Theme
    • "OsxAptioFixDrv-64" and "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi''
    • "Install RC scripts on target volume"
  • After EFI drive showed up, copied FakeSMC.kext & VoodooPS2Controller.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • Also copied HFSPlus.eft & APFS.efi to /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI
  • Installed the following Kexts using Kext Utility from their respective repositories, meaning they are the latest:
    • ACPIBatteryManager.kext
    • AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
    • FakePCIID.kext, FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext, FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext, FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
    • FakeSMC.kext, FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext, FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext,FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext,FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
    • IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
    • Lilu.kext
    • USBInjectAll.kext
    • VoodooPS2Controller.kext
    • AppleBacklightInjector.kext using Terminal
    • Patched AppleHDA.kext with AppleHDA Patcher for Realtek 898 (skip the error that pops up)
  • DSDT/SSDT Patches applied following Rehabman's Pinned Guides & that of goldenegg for a similar model of laptop here.
    • DSDT patches:
      • [usb] USB3 PRW 0X6D Skylake (instant wake)
      • [sys] IRQ Fix
      • [audio] Audio Layout 3
    • Brightness with custom SSDT-PNLF.aml from goldenegg, followed by Clover patch and AppleBacklightInjector.kext which was already installed.
    • USB Config with USBInjectall.kext which was already installed along with patched SSDT-UIAC.aml from goldenegg.
  • Followed up above with "sudo kextcache -i" to rebuild cache.
  • Reboot
  • Boot with Fake Graphics ID 0x12345678, rebuild cache command "sudo kextcache -i" again. Reboot once more and you'll be golden.

What's currently not working/To attempt:
  • Wifi [Intel not supported]
  • Sleep [Tried to fix but not a priority for me at the moment, I can live without]
  • Shutdown, does happen but it boots up again [Not a priority for me at the moment]
  • Remove NVMe Drive since that is Windows only and don't want it to show [Not a priority for me at the moment]
  • Check up on performance of SATA/USB/Graphics/LAN Speed/Battery timing/Fixing clock to sync with Windows

Last edited:
First of all, thank you so so much everyone involved in supporting this forum...

The Graphics issue is solved. I simply rebuild the cache AFTER booting with the fake IG id, a step I did not do earlier. On to the next step: Enable Audio and disabling Nvidia. Mods, please remove "Intel Graphics Help please", I would like to remain here as a Guide for my laptop model.

The problem was:

I successfully installed High Sierra 10.13.4 on my system (specs of which are below). I also got most of the hardware running, essential at least. The only thing missing is the Intel Graphics Driver & Audio. I did manage to get Audio yesterday with Voodoo audio driver but have not installed them again after a fresh install. Anyhow, my main issue was that Clover was getting stuck in the boot process to High Sierra when I use the HD boot option BUT there were no issues if I booted using the Clover boot loader from Installer USB. I ended up changing ig-platform-id to fake 0x12345678 and to my surprise the system booted up but ofcourse without the GPU properly detected.

I have checked in Windows GPU-Z, the dedicated memory to Intel is showing as 128MB and there is no way for me to change that in BIOS. Am I correct in assuming that DVMT patch is not required in my case? Or am I wrong in assuming that it is only for devices with 32MB dedicated memory for the Intel Graphics? In any case, I have gone through a lot of topics here; even put everything up from MSI G62 laptop that golden egg has done but it also did not solve my issue. I did try disabling the said patch from Clover Configurator but despite being disabled, the same thing, it would not boot unless I give the fake 0x12345678.

So please guys, can someone tell me what my next course of action should be? I am attaching my Clover folder also without Themes as required. While I have put the specs below as well as the steps I took (for personal future reference as well as others with the same laptop).​

Laptop:
MSI GE72 7RD Apache
Motherboard/Chipset: 1799/Intel HM175
Processor: Intel Kabylake i7-7700HQ
RAM: 8GB x 2 = 16GB
Storage: 256GB NVMe SSD (Windows 10) + 1TB 7200 RPM HDD (Storage) + 128GB SSD (High Sierra - This is connected with the laptop using a Caddy but everything shows as Internal)
Network: Atheros 2500 Killer GB LAN + Intel Wifi (I will have to look up exact model once booted into Windows again)
Graphics: Intel HD 630 128MB Dedicated + GTX 1050 4GB
Display: 17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz/5ms
Clover: Rehabman's latest Clover

The process I followed for installation:

• Created High Sierra Installer USB using Unibeast, which booted without issues to Installer where I created two Partitions on the 128GB SSD, one 64GB for High Sierra and another 64GB for Time Machine Backups - which serves an excellent purpose thanks to Apple.
  • After first boot, installed Clover from Rehabman's repository with options:
    • "Install for UEFI booting only "and "Install Clover in the ESP"
    • "BGM" Theme
    • "OsxAptioFixDrv-64" and "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi''
    • "Install RC scripts on target volume"
  • After EFI drive showed up, copied FakeSMC.kext & VoodooPS2Controller.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • Also copied HFSPlus.eft & APFS.efi to /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI
  • installed the following Kexts using Kext Utility from their respective repositories, meaning they are the latest:
    • ACPIBatteryManager.kext
    • AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
    • FakePCIID.kext, FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext, FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext, FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
    • FakeSMC.kext, FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext, FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext,FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext,FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
    • IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
    • Lilu.kext
    • USBInjectAll.kext
    • VoodooPS2Controller.kext
    • AppleBacklightInjector.kext using Terminal
  • Followed up above with "sudo kextcache -i" to rebuild cache.
  • Reboot
  • Boot with Fake Graphics ID 0x12345678, rebuild cache command "sudo kextcache -i" again. Reboot once more and you'll be golden.

What's currently not working/To attempt:
  • Audio
  • Wifi
  • Disable Nvidia 1050
  • Check up on performance of SATA/USB/Graphics/LAN Speed/Battery timing/Fixing clock to sync with Windows

It seems you forgot to read the FAQ:
IMPORTANT!: Contrary to many of the guides you will read, Windows is NOT a valid way to determine what DVMT-prealloc is set to. There is no correlation, especially with Windows 10.

It seems you forgot to read the FAQ:

Heh, sorry, I just skimmed through but have got the laptop up and running thanks to your guides so keep up the good work! I cannot thank you enough.

I am currently learning about the DSDT patching, I will write there if any confusions or here. Anyhow, right now, I have another something I wanted to ask about. I have got NVMe present with Windows, I do not wish to have it load in Mac at all. Is there anyway I can disable it from running/mounting?

I guess another way would be to have a script unmount it at runtime, if that's doable?

Heh, sorry, I just skimmed through but have got the laptop up and running thanks to your guides so keep up the good work! I cannot thank you enough.

I am currently learning about the DSDT patching, I will write there if any confusions or here. Anyhow, right now, I have another something I wanted to ask about. I have got NVMe present with Windows, I do not wish to have it load in Mac at all. Is there anyway I can disable it from running/mounting?

I guess another way would be to have a script unmount it at runtime, if that's doable?

You could spoof the NVMe with a bogus class-code, which without HackrNVMeFamily, would keep any kext from loading against it.
Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/

Thank you so much @goldenegg for your guide here about MSI GF62VR 7RF, which assured me that I can make my laptop work too. At first, I simply copy pasted everything from your Clover as well as Config list but it did not work. Then I headed and read almost each topic concerning the issues here pinned by @RehabMan and only then I was able to make sense of it all and do the custom work except for two-three files which I used from GF62VR config.

I am extremely surprised at the dedicated work that is put in here by the whole community esp. @RehabMan here. The stuff is so so so detailed that even a noob can come up and set things up. Apple has surely created a good product with its OS but its guys like you who make it accessible to just about everyone!

@RehabMan , I will def. try out spoofing the NVMe with a bogus class-code and see how it turns out. For now, I want to take a breather as I have been working non-stop for the last three days on this, lol. Now, most things are working so I can relax, arrange all installation files for future and create a backup.

Thank you guys!! So much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back