Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Gaming M5 Z170A
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700k @ 4.00 GHz
Graphics
N/A
Hi, i'm new to this forum and this is actually my first post. I've enjoyed and learned a lot by reading on this website. It's a really rich source of information. I've done lots of research of what gear to buy. When i realized that skylake processors were finally compatible, i jumped right onto the skylake boat as i was targeting the 4790k instead of the 6700k. And now i also realize that it's not as easy as i thought it would be.

So, basically, i'm a total noob as far as Hackintosh goes.

The problem is the following :

I can reach the installation screen (now) (i had lots of trouble at the beginning), i can choose what language i want and even access Disk Utility. I've formatted my drive in HFS+ (MacOSX Extended Journaled) so that i can install MacOSX. The installation starts as normal and after about two minutes, the installation window is still there but only displaying a button to restart the computer (which didn't work for me). When this button appears, the progress bar is nowhere to be seen. And it does this even though it was displaying "13 minutes left" a few seconds before that. I've been trying lots of different stuff in the past few weeks and i've basically hit a wall. I was able to finally reach the installer just yesterday, only to find out about the installer crashing mid-way.

What i've tried since the beginning :

-I referred to the list of compatible components on tonymacx86 to decide what parts i wanted to buy. I bought an MSI because i had a really great deal on a gaming m5 z170A (Which was probably a mistake if i really wanted to build an hackintosh but, i realized that later on)

- I've read a lot of different guides from all over the place. The following guides are the ones i was relying on the most. I've tried each and every one of them and except for that last one, nothing worked. And i was only able to reach the installer by booting it in safe mode with the boot arguments, which was not even suggested in any of these guides. And i was also referring to them to set up my BIOS, especially the last 2 links.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/msi-9-series-motherboards-os-x-setup-and-configuration.143167/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-msi-z170a-gaming-m7-i7-6700k-gtx970.181299/

- I've tried different Unibeast setups. I've tried injecting ATI graphics (I've got an old radeon 5770, soon to be replaced by a GTX 970). I've tried bypassing it by simply disconnecting the GPU and using only the MOBO graphical output. I've tried both Legacy Boot mode and Clover Boot mode. Clover seems to be doing the trick for me at least, it's the only way i was able to boot the installer at all.

- Once my USB installer was ready, i booted up on the clover screen. Tried launching the installer as is and i was stuck at the apple logo. Tried launching the installer with a bunch of different boot arguments (i.e.: nv_disable=1, -x, -v, etc.) and i got the same result. After that, i tried replacing the config.plist, a kext file and a driver (as suggested by the third link) and i got the same result. Then i said to myself "What the hell, let's try it out in safe mode" and this is what did the trick for me to launch the installer. Yet, i'm still stuck only a step further.

So, because i'm a noob at making an hackintosh build works, i'm here to ask help to people that have a better knowledge than me. Is there a way to make it work on my MSI MOBO ?

Thank you ! :)

And i'm sorry if my english isn't top notch ;)

Anyone has an idea? I'm really up to the point where i consider selling my mobo to get another one (a more compatible one) unless i have a winning solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, I'm also a noob to this stuff but I have a similar setup to you (Z170A Gaming M5, i7-6700K and GTX 970) and I have managed to install Sierra on on my system.

I followed this guide to create the bootable USB drive: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-create-a-macos-sierra-public-beta-installation-usb.195077/

And used the UEFI config.plist attached.
I also replace the standard OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi from here:
https://nickwoodhams.com/x99-hackintosh-osxaptiofixdrv-allocaterelocblock-error-update/ because I was encountering the issue mentioned there.

Now it boots fine but I'm having some graphics issues and when I install Nvidia web drivers it tries to boot but fails after a few seconds. I can boot again if I use nv_disable=1 boot arg. A lot of people seem to be having issues with the web drivers though so hopefully they'll be fixed soon.

Anyway, there is hope so don't go selling your Mobo just yet!
Hope this helps and I'll update if I manage to get up and running properly.

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm looking forward to try that out this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back