Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97N-GAMING-5
CPU
i5
Graphics
RX 580
My success with installing macOS onto Hackintoshes has been roughly 60% since I first attempted back in 2014. The last two systems (Gigabyte Z3xx-series and Gigabyte Z97-series) pretty much were the least painful installs I’ve dealt with, the installations going flawlessly (I wish the others were that painless).

However

On a whim—and needing to build a small form factor Hackintosh—I picked up an MSI B360I Gaming Pro AC motherboard in the hopes of building up an 8th gen Core i5 Mac Mini killer for my sons to use; none of the other mini-ITX form factor mobos were available for under $200.00. I found a reasonably-priced MSI B360I on NewEgg. Built it up yesterday. I followed the MSI 9 Series Motherboard setup thread here (since nothing specific to my particular MSI motherboard was found):

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/msi-9-series-motherboards-os-x-setup-and-configuration.143167/

Yet, once I select the USB installer from the boot menu, I get the Apple logo with a status bar for roughly eight seconds, then I get the “DENIED” symbol. Any clues as to how to go about getting this system working would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My success with installing macOS onto Hackintoshes has been roughly 60% since I first attempted back in 2014. The last two systems (Gigabyte Z3xx-series and Gigabyte Z97-series) pretty much were the least painful installs I’ve dealt with, the installations going flawlessly (I wish the others were that painless).

However

On a whim—and needing to build a small form factor Hackintosh—I picked up an MSI B360I Gaming Pro AC motherboard in the hopes of building up an 8th gen Core i5 Mac Mini killer for my sons to use; none of the other mini-ITX form factor mobos were available for under $200.00. I found a reasonably-priced MSI B360I on NewEgg. Built it up yesterday. I followed the MSI 9 Series Motherboard setup thread here (since nothing specific to my particular MSI motherboard was found):

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/msi-9-series-motherboards-os-x-setup-and-configuration.143167/

Yet, once I select the USB installer from the boot menu, I get the Apple logo with a status bar for roughly eight seconds, then I get the “DENIED” symbol. Any clues as to how to go about getting this system working would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hit space bar and select verbose, don’t reboot on panic and keep symbols. Post a pic.

Thanks for your boot arg advice. I double-checked my BIOS boot settings before attempting again yet somehow the UEFI USB boot option was not selected for the primary boot device (no idea how this changed) so I changed it back – I followed your advice with the boot arg entries and noticed that one of them that was automatically selected had something to do with Nvidia drivers, so I disabled that one. I am now booted into the High Sierra installer! Thanks for your help! I hope I will have success installing and rebooting into a sucsessful Hackintosh build.

---many minutes later---

Seems as though the USB keyboard/mouse aren’t responding within the installer. I have unplugged and re-plugged into all USB ports (except the one the USB installer is in) and cannot get any mouse/keyboard input. This is kinda lame.

---many minutes later---

Have tried all USB ports for keyboard and mouse and cannot get any activity once I get to the High Sierra installer screen. Any ideas how to get the USB working?

---many minutes later---

Just lovely. Now I am getting this message when I attempt to boot from the USB installer (attached image). Something clearly is wrong. I’ve never experienced any of this garbage with Gigabyte motherboards, perhaps there is a connection here?
IMG_7847.JPG

Last edited:
The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you.
Please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card(s).
If you have multiple systems add them to your signature or build signature.

Seems as though the USB keyboard/mouse aren’t responding within the installer. I have unplugged and re-plugged into all USB ports (except the one the USB installer is in) and cannot get any mouse/keyboard input.
May require USBInjectAll.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
May require XHCI-300-series-injector.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
May need PMHeart’s patch for 10.13.6 to remove XHCI USB Port Limit to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, I added the “USBInjectAll.kext” and rebooted to get this lovely garbled screen upon booting from the Clover boot menu. Nice stuff, yes? I guess I need to remove the “USBInjectAll.kext” and instead try one of the other kexts mentioned in this thread. Crossed fingers; wish me luck (there goes an otherwise lovely afternoon wherein I ought instead be out riding my mountain bike in the local rock gardens hittin’ the gnar and chunk.

UPDATE: Booted to the installer with the “XHCI-300-series-injector.kext” in place, but no USB action for keyboard/mouse on any USB ports. Now going to try with the other remaining option suggested by BreBo.

Nevermind, this geek crap is beyond my comprehension. I’m not a hardware or software programmer, rather, I studied something stupid and futureless in school: graphic design. I think I will just sell the parts on eBay to some sucker and just buy a 2010-2012 MacPro to get me by for what my needs are. Thanks for the help, but this is getting me nowhere.
IMG_7848.JPG

Last edited:
Meanwhile, I added the “USBInjectAll.kext” and rebooted to get this lovely garbled screen upon booting from the Clover boot menu. Nice stuff, yes? I guess I need to remove the “USBInjectAll.kext” and instead try one of the other kexts mentioned in this thread.
You don't need to remove the USBInjectAll.kext

"Still waiting for root device".
When installing this means that your USB flash drive cannot be found.
This is usually because the flash drive is in a USB3 port.
If this is the case move it to a USB2 port, if it is already in a USB2 port move it to another and try again.
Repeat until you have tried all USB ports.
Use a USB2 flash drive.
If it still doesn't work you could try another flash drive.
You might also try enabling Legacy on your USB3 ports in your BIOS settings.
If you only have USB3 ports try with your USB flash drive in a USB2 hub.
Make sure Fast Boot is not activated in your BIOS.

Update: (yaay prepare for a fun read!!! HAHAHA!!!)

Somehow I managed to get the thing to get all the way to the “Welcome”/“Select your country” screen. But that’s where the fun really starts. The USB just stops working. Unless there’s some special Easter Egg “don’t turn off USB once my OS loads” function hidden within the BIOS settings, I think this motherboard is garbage.

I have found that once an OS loads to the login screen, ALL USB ports become unresponsive. Yes, ALL USB ports. I have tried with Windoze 7, Windoze 8.1, Windoze 10, and obviously High Sierra (I have multiple drives from many machines); same problem rears it’s ugly head in each OS upon attempt to log in (or in the case of High Sierra, attempting to start at the new installation “Welcome”/select your country screen). USB works FREAKIN’ AWESOME in BIOS settings screen. Seems to work BLOODY BRILLIANTLY in Clover Bootloader and macOS High Sierra installer……………… well, I put my money in the wrong bag.

I can only assume that this motherboard has issues. I of course did a useless Google search with my problem and found nothing. Serves me right I suppose for attempting to use a motherboard brand other than Gigabyte. In the meantime I swapped an older Z97 mini ITX Gigabyte (gee, no surprise there, HAHAHAHA!!!) motherboard, and WHAMOLA HOOCHIE BABAY!!! the shizzle just works… and works BLOODY BRILL it does mates!

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that since I am not technically a PC user, I do not own a PS/2 keyboard or mouse to attempt proper login/welcome/etc.

Moral: when you use one brand and it always (OK, so 80% of the time) works, then why switch? Don’t be a cheapass and buy a lesser-quality brand just because it’s $30 cheaper or you’ll be feeling the soreness from rectal reamage I have been feeling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back