Contribute
Register

MSI 9 Series Motherboards - OS X Setup and Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I set the z97 Gaming 9 up with mostly (lol) no problems...What would be a good work around for the sound? And what should I do about wifi and bluetooth? What is the process for getting this things to work?...

Sound works with Multibeast and use the ALC1150 (as well as optional 3 Port (5.1 Audio))

Wifi I used a Dlink DWA-160 and for BT an IO Gear BT 4.0 USB connector

The dlink you need to load a 3rd party KEXT to get it running. The included drivers WILL NOT Work

For BT I used the:
[h=4]GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter[/h]mentioned in the buyer's guide.
It is plug and play on our systems, where windows installation took 30min.
:D

Great review and tutorial. I have personally the gaming 5 series with the same CPU Tonymacx86 use in this tutorial and for the life of me the only way I can have the OS installed and actually running is adding the flag cpus=4. Im tried using clover and Multicast and the same thin happens. Also I have even tried the 1.60 version of the BIOS installed in my board to see if that changes anything and is the same thing. The latest is 1.80 and no changes whatsoever. To my knowledge the cpus=4 or 1 flag was for AMD CPUS or for unsupported CPUs. If that's the case then how can you installed the OS with the same processor?? I'm trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel with this thing but Im far from it.

Great review and tutorial. I have personally the gaming 5 series with the same CPU Tonymacx86 use in this tutorial and for the life of me the only way I can have the OS installed and actually running is adding the flag cpus=4. Im tried using clover and Multicast and the same thin happens. Also I have even tried the 1.60 version of the BIOS installed in my board to see if that changes anything and is the same thing. The latest is 1.80 and no changes whatsoever. To my knowledge the cpus=4 or 1 flag was for AMD CPUS or for unsupported CPUs. If that's the case then how can you installed the OS with the same processor?? I'm trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel with this thing but Im far from it.

That's really odd...I'm using the same board as you and the install was easy. The only boot flags I think I used were -v -x maxmem=4096 . Are you doing the install with the HD4600? If not you may want to try that before you add in your graphics card.

Are you using Clover or Unibeast/Multibeast?

FYI - Using the new 1.8 BIOS.

I use clover. What processor you have? How much memory sticks you had while installing? What method you use? What bios options you set?

I remember some of the errors I get are about CODE SIGNING

Thanks

I have a 4790k, 16gb of memory, gtx 780ti. Take out all memory except for one stick, remove video card and use onboard graphics, disconnect all drives except where OS X will reside.

Here is the basic method I used:

1. BIOS: CFG disabled, VTD disabled, efi only for booting

2. Make your usb installer according to the guide on this site and use the HD4600 config.plist file. Use the EFI method not the legacy.

3. Install OS X (didn't need any boot flags for Clover) and make sure you use UEFI boot option.

4. Install Clover on the ssd/hdd

5. Install kexts either to the EFI partition or to S/L/E...your choice, it works either way. Use Clover Configurator to fine tune your config.plist file. Use Toleda's clover ALC for sound (there is one edit in the config.plist you need to make for ALC1150).

6. Re-install the graphics card

That's about all I remember...I'm out of town right now but will edit this post if I remember any other details.

I am having a "no sound" issue after sleep on my Z97 gaming 3.
Ethernet also takes a while to activate.
Running 10.10.1 and ran Multibeast 7.1 again. Activated trim and alc codec again.

Also It freezes after about 15 minutes with two ram sticks installed.
Seem to run fine on one 4gb right now.
Any setting in the bios I can try?
Left the ram defaults.

I am having a "no sound" issue after sleep on my Z97 gaming 3.
Ethernet also takes a while to activate.
Running 10.10.1 and ran Multibeast 7.1 again. Activated trim and alc codec again.

Also It freezes after about 15 minutes with two ram sticks installed.
Seem to run fine on one 4gb right now.
Any setting in the bios I can try?
Left the ram defaults.

Have you tested your ram with memtest86? That's the first place I would start. Also, make sure you have the dimms installed in the proper slots for 2 sticks...consult the manual.

Thanks for the reply. Do you really need to put the FakeSMC, NullCPU and Ethernet kext in the EFI partition on the usb to install YS using clover? Also when you said CFG is that CFG lock off right? When you refer about booting UEFI only boot you mean to set that option in bios instead of Legacy-UEFI boot? I normally use the boot menu option and choose my usb drive name under UEFI. Which USB port should I use when installing? 2.0 or 3.0? You said not to use any flags but in a few post before your reply you mentioned to use -v -v maxmem=4096. Is that right? Lastly I have seen my computer KP and reboot instantly when using -x as flag.

Thanks brother and happy thanksgiving!

Thanks for the reply. Do you really need to put the FakeSMC, NullCPU and Ethernet kext in the EFI partition on the usb to install YS using clover? Also when you said CFG is that CFG lock off right? When you refer about booting UEFI only boot you mean to set that option in bios instead of Legacy-UEFI boot? I normally use the boot menu option and choose my usb drive name under UEFI. Which USB port should I use when installing? 2.0 or 3.0? You said not to use any flags but in a few post before your reply you mentioned to use -v -v maxmem=4096. Is that right? Lastly I have seen my computer KP and reboot instantly when using -x as flag.

Thanks brother and happy thanksgiving!

Yes you need those kexts on the USB drive to install using Clover. CFG lock off in BIOS. Turn off any legacy booting in BIOS, UEFI only. Use a USB 2 port. The post earlier talking about boot flags was referring to installing using Unibeast method instead of clover.

No idea why -x would cause a KP...its the flag for booting in safe mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back