Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Plus
  4. Portable
  5. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Adding OpenCL compatibility info to your GPU list would be hugely helpful and would avoid making incorrect purchases. In my case I bought a recommended GTX 960 only to find it was useless as an OpenCL card. My understanding is the GTX 970 does OpenCL well. I wish I had known that. The issue is that it's really hard to find definitive info as to card compatibility. At least I haven't been able to find it in my searches. I needed OpenCL for FCPX and Motion performance so I went out and got a used R9 280X which outperformed the 960 significantly. As it happened I just tested my son's old (he got a 1070, lucky kid) GTX 670 and it's a very good OpenCL performer.

In conclusion I'm sure everyone on this wonderful forum could run Luxmark and send back their results to tonymacx86 to include in his list. Essentially, in the ball render if the background is blank and the final result throws a red render error then the card is not OpenCL compatible. Thanks.

The GTX 960 does support OpenCL (as does every other GPU made in this decade), but AMD cards are much better at it, especially in Apple tools like FCPX and Motion, because Apple has tuned it for their latest iMacs and the MacPro.
AMDs advance in compute power isn't OS X specific though, you'll also see that in PC benchmarks.

That render error in LuxMark happens on all Maxwell based GPUs, but it doesn't matter in most apps.

@Fl0r!an so in a new x99 i7 5820k hackintosh build geared to fcpx, would you recommend AMD over a 980ti? And if so, which card would you recommend? I've been racking my brain about this for quite sometime and can't decide.

I hear hackintosh support is better with Nvidea cards vs AMD, but in terms of GPU performance in fcpx, people say AMD performs better. I need to put this final nail in this coffin so I can start buying my equipment. FYI ...I'm starting from scratch...stenopad and all...lol.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

I hear hackintosh support is better with Nvidea cards vs AMD, but in terms of GPU performance in fcpx, people say AMD performs better.

That's exactly the problem. The latest perfectly supported AMD chipset is "Tahiti" (also sold as "D700" in the nMP), which is now 4 years old. El Capitan introduced some power management issues with AMD cards which result in broken sleep/wake.

Newer GPUs are hit-and-miss. "Hawaii" is very powerful but also very buggy in OS X. "Tonga" will only work if your CPU has an iGPU (which yours doesn't). "Polaris" has early support, but isn't stable yet.

From a value for money point of view a pair of R9 280X's should provide best performance. You won't find them new though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back