Contribute
Register

Moving User Folder off of Boot Drive - long term results?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I want to move my User Folder from my small boot drive to my larger data drive. I'm running Mojave 10.14.5.
I know how to move the folder, but I would like to know if anyone else has done this and did you encounter any problems.

I searched the forums for this subject, but the only posts that I found were several years old.
Thanks

I've been running my User folder from a separate drive for ages including Mojave and the Catalina Beta builds. Absolutely no problem other than an annoying message in Catalina that it wants me to convert the drive with my User folder to apfs in order to use i-Cloud. So, since Catalina moves user data to an apfs volume on the drive, Catalina sends you a not too subtle message if the User folder is on an HFS+ volume. Convert the volume to apfs, and Catalina appears to be happy.

My biggest issue since I moved my user folder to another drive was keeping track of what got backed up and what did not. Sometimes my second drive was not online and I accidentally fired up, say any app that needs the user folder - like iTunes, and iTunes simply created a new library and went on it's merry way like there was nothing wrong. Once i even added music to my library without realizing that I was using a different library and managed to royally confuse myself.
I use CCC to make complete copies of my drives but sometimes the user folder ends up on a diff drive... well, you get the picture. I've had to dig out 80GBs of music from CCC "protection" folder more than once...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back