2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I have a 2TB mechanical hard drive, about 1.3GB used.

I'm thinking of getting a 500GB SSD, and using the 2TB old drive for my /Documents and home folder.

Of course, I can't use SuperDuper to restore 2TB to 500GB. So what's my plan of action?

Do I have to do a fresh install of OSX from scratch on the 500GB SSD? Then afterwards just change home folder and point to the 2TB home folder?

Then afterwards just change home folder and point to the 2TB home folder?
Leave your old home folder in old /Users, log in to your fresh install and create a new directory where you want it.

Code:
sudo chown -R you:wheel /path/to/home

replacing 'you' with your new username

Change home folder path in user preferences, don't symlink. Check it works, then move everything you want between the directories.

Don't delete your old /Library and other OS folders right away, there's probably some things you might copy over to the ssd once you start using your apps.

Another way to move your home folder is to permanently mount your HDD on /Users with an /etc/fstab entry (that's how I have mine setup).
Something slightly un-UNIX about this method, if your target volume is not HFS+ (presumably APFS is fine as well) then macOS doesn't seem to like it at all.

Something slightly un-UNIX about this method, if your target volume is not HFS+ (presumably APFS is fine as well) then macOS doesn't seem to like it at all.

How so? Why would your /Users not be HFS+?

How so? Why would your /Users not be HFS+?
Once i realised APFS would be no use for HDD storage, ended up moving my hard drive data onto OpenZFS. The relocated home folder was causing long freezes on login and in general when using the Finder. I think the ~/Library folder specifically macOS didn't like, but cannot confirm this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back