Contribute
Register

Moving from Z370 to Different Z370 OR Z390 board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good sound advice from @pastrychef! Saying that, I needed a dual boot machine. So, I ended up rolling with the Asrock Phantom Gaming ITX-ac board. Quite a different beast to my previous X79 hackintosh/PC DAW setup in that it's way smaller, but oh-so-more powerful. Mine is also teamed up with an i9-9900K and runs like a dream so far.

Wow. Thank you for such a well answered reply. Thanks you for all the information. After reading this I’ve decided to just upgrade to a much better z370 board. I am using a gigabyte Z370-HD3 so will I be able to just swap and boot if I choose another gigabyte z370 gaming board?

Wow. Thank you for such a well answered reply. Thanks you for all the information. After reading this I’ve decided to just upgrade to a much better z370 board. I am using a gigabyte Z370-HD3 so will I be able to just swap and boot if I choose another gigabyte z370 gaming board?

If you configured your current hackintosh correctly, you should be able to just transplant the drive to the new motherboard and be up and running.

I had a problem with my Mojave 10.14.4 installation on my AsRock Z390 system. After a lot of time making no progress, I debugged the problem by moving my SSD from my ASRock Z390 system to my Gigabyte Z270x and the Z270X booted without problem. Once I debugged my BIOS problem on my ASRock Z390 system I could then boot it from both the Z270x's hard disk and the original Z390 system's hard disk. To be honest, I was really surprised this worked :cool:

I upgraded to a Gigabyte GA-Z370 Ultra Gaming 2.0, and it booted right up, no problem. But, now I’m selling this build and building a dual system in an Obsidian 1000D case. An ITX w/9900K and GTX 1080 Ti, and a X399 w/RTX 2080 Ti.

Hey @krisrob34, I have seen a second hand Gigabyte Z370-HD3. Why are you changing yours? Do you think it's a good buy for me? What's the bad side? I am thinking for a 8700K.

If you can get your hands on a Z370, I think it's a better choice for hackintoshing.

Yes, Z390 is newer, but what new features does it give you? Nothing. Only two things separate Z390 from Z370, (1) Intel CNVI Wi-Fi and (2) Intel USB 3.1 gen 2. Neither of these two features are "new", just different and with questionable compatibility with macOS.
  • Generally, Z390 motherboards have better VRM than Z370. However, that's not to say that you can't overclock with Z370. I overclock my i9-9900K to four cores 5.1GHz/four cores 5.0GHz on Z370 with air cooling.
  • Z390 gives you the new Intel CNVI Wi-Fi, but you can't use it with macOS anyway. Whether or not you can replace the CNVI Wi-Fi card with a card that will work with macOS is also questionable. A few have successfully done it, but most have failed. The M.2 slots used on Z370 motherboards for Wi-Fi can be used with Apple branded Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards for plug-n-play compatibility.
  • Z390 includes Intel USB 3.1 gen 2 but I have yet to see any confirmation on whether or not they actually work at USB 3.1 gen 2 speeds in macOS. On Z370, USB 3.1 gen 2 is provided by ASMedia chipsets that have native macOS support. I've personally tested this on my Z370 motherboard and it works perfectly.
  • Also, since the USB 3.1 gen 2 ports on Z390 are on the same controller as the USB 2 and USB 3.1 gen 1 ports, users will have considerably less ports than Z370 once the proper USB 15 port limit issue is addressed.
  • As of today, native NVRAM is not working with Z390. Native NVRAM works perfectly on Z370. In my opinion, native NVRAM is a big deal because without it, you lose kernel panic reports on reboot. This can be invaluable for troubleshooting.
Thanks for the details reply. Do you still recommend z370 for a new build now? I am planning a new build and confusing on the motherboard selection. Thanks.

Thanks for the details reply. Do you still recommend z370 for a new build now? I am planning a new build and confusing on the motherboard selection. Thanks.

It's just my opinion, but, yes, I still prefer Z370 over Z390 for hackintoshing. That's why my Z390 motherboard is still in my closet.

It's just my opinion, but, yes, I still prefer Z370 over Z390 for hackintoshing. That's why my Z390 motherboard is still in my closet.

May I ask one more about NVRAM, since I do not quite understand native NVRAM.

So, for now, Z390 still do not support native NVRAM and the current solution is a kind of simulation?

May I ask one more about NVRAM, since I do not quite understand native NVRAM.

So, for now, Z390 still do not support native NVRAM and the current solution is a kind of simulation?

Please see this post and this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back