Graphics
EVGA 980 TI Hybrid
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
EDIT: Moved to the SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner. The program creates and clones the recovery partition for you afterwards if you select yes. The process took about 10 minutes with 50GB of data on the system disk. I thoroughly recommended Carbon Copy Cloner it was an absolutely painless process!

Hi all,

Currently running El Capitan 10.11.4 on an Asus Z170-A, i7 6700K, 16GB of DDR4 Corsair Vengeance and an Nvidia 980TI Hybrid. I have a 480GB SSD that my windows/games run off which is ideal but I am now at a stage where I rely on my hackintosh on this system to work as I am self employed so could use the benefit in read/write speeds - so I have invested in another SSD for it to run from.

Currently the system is on a 4 partitioned 2TB SATA III drive. OS X is on 'El Capitan', A shared windows/mac exFat datadrive, Time Machine partition and Carbon Copy Cloner backups the system daily to 'OS X Backup'. Can someone please advise me on the best method of cloning the OS X and clover partitions to the new SSD? Do I use CCC to clone the OS X Partition then boot to it, run multibeast and install clover again?

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 19.20.50.png

Effectively I only wish to use the 2TB drive moving forward as a backup for CCC and time machine. I would like for Clover and OS X to run from the new SSD independently.

Thanks all - this community is a great resource.

I rely on my hackintosh on this system to work as I am self employed

A shared windows/mac exFat datadrive

If as you state, you rely on this machine to earn your living, I cannot advise strongly enough against using the exFAT file system.

exFAT was designed for flash drives and has very poor resilience meaning that the slightest error can result in data loss. Sharing the drive between operating systems increases the risk of data loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

If as you state, you rely on this machine to earn your living, I cannot advise strongly enough against using the exFAT file system.

exFAT was designed for flash drives and has very poor resilience meaning that the slightest error can result in data loss. Sharing the drive between operating systems increases the risk of data loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

Hi P1LGRIM,

Thanks for your concern I never actually knew that. I use dropbox for business for important files, the datadrive is currently empty with the exception of a few movies, so its currently no big problem however I would like to rely on it more in the coming months.

What file system would you recommend to be read/write accessible for Windows and OS X?

Thanks

What file system would you recommend to be read/write accessible for Windows and OS X?

It is not an issue that I have much experience with as I seldom use Windows at all now.

If I was going to do it I would use a Client-Server arrangement where all of the data is stored on a server with a RAID5 system for redundancy and with a sound backup regime.

I suggest a separate drive with NTFS if you need to access it from windows as well as OS X. There are 3rd party apps for OS X to read and write NTFS (NTFS for Mac 14 by Paragon is a popular one that works perfectly).

It is not an issue that I have much experience with as I seldom use Windows at all now.

If I was going to do it I would use a Client-Server arrangement where all of the data is stored on a server with a RAID5 system for redundancy and with a sound backup regime.

I suggest a separate drive with NTFS if you need to access it from windows as well as OS X. There are 3rd party apps for OS X to read and write NTFS (NTFS for Mac 14 by Paragon is a popular one that works perfectly).

Many thanks, any input from anyone on how best to move to the SSD?

I just upgraded my SSD to a larger drive. I used SuperDuper to make the swap. Once installed on the new SSD, you will need to use UniBeast and "reinstall" your Mac OS to install the recovery drive and other odd things that don't get transferred.

I used it as an opportunity to do the 10.11.4 update.

Hope this helps

Once installed on the new SSD, you will need to use UniBeast and "reinstall" your Mac OS to install the recovery drive and other odd things that don't get transferred.

Thanks fireguyed. I didn't even think about the recovery partition. I think what I will do is use my original UniBeast USB to install OS X to the SSD like normal to get the EFI and recovery partitions and then use CCC to restore the image to the SSD.

Thanks

I have updated the original post for anyone who comes across this thread via search in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back