Contribute
Register

Moving and resizing Windows/OS X partitions, multiple HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was wrong with the bootloader on your old HDD? Does your HDD still boot correctly?

I don't know what was wrong, somehow it got borked when I deleted a partition and resized the one with the OS X on it. It's fine now.

So after cloning your HDD OS X partition to your SSD, you were able to boot it with your Unibeast USB (or USB with Chimera only)?

No, I can't boot with SSD in any way possible at the moment, although I cloned a partition with a working bootloader. When I have just the SSD in my laptop, it yields the same error (no operating system) that I had when the bootloader wasn't working on my old HDD, and when I pop in the USB stick with chimera on it, I get the screen that I attached in my last post.

No, I can't boot with SSD in any way possible at the moment, although I cloned a partition with a working bootloader.

The bootloader is multi-part. There is part that lives on the MBR of the disk, outside the partition (usually boot0md). There is a part that lives on the PBR inside the partition but outside the file system volume (usually boot1h). And there is a part that lives at the root of the volume (/boot). The only portion cloned with a partition restore would be /boot. The rest must be installed after cloning.

When I have just the SSD in my laptop, it yields the same error (no operating system) that I had when the bootloader wasn't working on my old HDD,

Probably because no bootloader is on the SSD. And/or no active(boot) partition.

and when I pop in the USB stick with chimera on it, I get the screen that I attached in my last post.

Try your Unibeast USB instead.

Have to make one first... Thanks, I'll update once I make some progress

Have to make one first... Thanks, I'll update once I make some progress

I'm surprised you didn't already have one... after all you kind of need it to do the clone (it is best to do all cloning without the volume mounted).

BTW, if you can boot from your current HDD, you should be able to do this:
- connect both drives
- boot into the OS X installer with your Unibeast USB (always keep it -- it is an important recovery tool)
- go into Disk Utility
- create your partition(s) on the new SSD
- clone your HDD partition to the SSD partition (use Restore)
- now boot using your HDD.
- Chimera should come up and you should see two copies of your original install (the first one is the HDD, second is the cloned one)
- you should be able to boot the cloned partition from the SSD using the bootloader on your HDD
- after you reach the desktop (of your cloned partition), run Chimera standalone installer to install the bootloader to the SSD

I had one when I first installed OS X, then I needed the usb drive, so it got formatted... Not a good idea...
Ok, so I made a new usb stick with unibeast on it, but it won't boot. I tried using boot flags you mentioned in the guide (PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No -x), but it gets stuck at some point and just hangs there indefinetly. This is where it got stuck when I added -v to boot flags: http://i.imgur.com/Q9IPTTR.jpg

I had one when I first installed OS X, then I needed the usb drive, so it got formatted... Not a good idea...
Ok, so I made a new usb stick with unibeast on it, but it won't boot. I tried using boot flags you mentioned in the guide (PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No -x), but it gets stuck at some point and just hangs there indefinetly. This is where it got stuck when I added -v to boot flags: http://i.imgur.com/Q9IPTTR.jpg

You have a Sandy Bridge CPU on 7-series board. Try removing AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext from /S/L/E on the Unibeast USB.

Phew, ok, it's over... Got SSD to boot, updated to 10.8.5, enabled trim, and all working now (but I did get a kernel panic after enabling trim, after one restart it booted normally). Thank you very much.

Sweet little piece of hardware :)

gptsync does not sync MBR - Multible drive problem

I have 2 OS X partitions on my internal disk and a second disk where I want to install WIN7, Transfer-Partition (exFat) and Ubuntu.
On the OS X disk I kept my previous OS X installation, deleted the old Transfer-Partition (which should go to the second drive after Win7 now) and made a second Mac partition for my savety OS X system.
The only mistake I made is that I ran gptsync on that OS X drive too, and I'm not sure if it's a problem.
The second disk in the drive bay is also GUID formated and partitioned following rehabmans guide to installing Win, Mac OS X, Ubuntu Multi-Boot system.
After repartitioning and formating with gparted (from Ubuntu from USB-stick) I get the following error with gptsync: GPT partition of type 'Unknown' found, will not touch this disk.
In fact it is not recognising my ext4 Ubuntu-Partition. Repartitioned again - same problem. I am stuck there right now.

Previously I tried to setup only Win7 and the transfer-partition on the second disk but the Windows Installer wouldn't let me install on the selected partition. So I decided to strictly follow rehabmans guide - but still no success. Does this have anything to do with the partitions on my first drive?
Any help is welcome.
Thanks.

I have 2 OS X partitions on my internal disk and a second disk where I want to install WIN7, Transfer-Partition (exFat) and Ubuntu.
On the OS X disk I kept my previous OS X installation, deleted the old Transfer-Partition (which should go to the second drive after Win7 now) and made a second Mac partition for my savety OS X system.
The only mistake I made is that I ran gptsync on that OS X drive too, and I'm not sure if it's a problem.
The second disk in the drive bay is also GUID formated and partitioned following rehabmans guide to installing Win, Mac OS X, Ubuntu Multi-Boot system.
After repartitioning and formating with gparted (from Ubuntu from USB-stick) I get the following error with gptsync: GPT partition of type 'Unknown' found, will not touch this disk.
In fact it is not recognising my ext4 Ubuntu-Partition. Repartitioned again - same problem. I am stuck there right now.

Previously I tried to setup only Win7 and the transfer-partition on the second disk but the Windows Installer wouldn't let me install on the selected partition. So I decided to strictly follow rehabmans guide - but still no success. Does this have anything to do with the partitions on my first drive?
Any help is welcome.
Thanks.

Some screen shots of what you see in gparted might be helpful...

Thanks rehabman for your quick reply. Here are the screen shots.

/dev/sda/
Screenshot sda.png
/dev/sdb
Screenshot sdb.png
gptsync output
Screenshot gptsync.png

What would be the suggestions for formating/partitioning my setup:
First Disk partitions: 1. Mac OS X ; 2. Mac OS X (safety System)
Second Disk partitions: 1. Win7; 2. Transfer (exFat); 3. Ubuntu
Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back