Contribute
Register

Move OS X Lion From 1TB HDD To SSD Using Time Machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Not really sure how one would do this but I would like to restore a Time Machine backup of OS X Lion from the installed 1TB HDD to a 60GB or 128GB SSD.

My guess is that the iBoot + MultiBeast method would be used to boot into Snow Leopard install then you would mount the USB HDD with the Time Machine backup and choose restore.

Or, I have an older Snow Leopard Time Machine backup on my HP EX490 MediaSmart Windows Home Server (Lion won't see the server for backup). Perhaps I can restore Snow Leopard to the SSD and then install Lion again?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks a lot!

I'll give those suggestions a go. I don't have to worry about partition sizes I'm guessing? The OS X Lion install is only about ~30GB.

So I would use iBoot or rBoot after the clone and update or install the latest version of Chimera that way,.....thats it? Sounds simple.

Thanks again!

To install Chimera, would you boot with iBoot to get into your OSX installation? Then install Chimera?

Octavean said:
Thanks a lot!

I'll give those suggestions a go. I don't have to worry about partition sizes I'm guessing? The OS X Lion install is only about ~30GB.

So I would use iBoot or rBoot after the clone and update or install the latest version of Chimera that way,.....thats it? Sounds simple.

Thanks again!

Just to clarify.

After carbon copy is done, don't reboot just run the chimera installer and change the install location to the SSD drive. You should then be able to boot from the SSD directly without any need to use iBoot or rBoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back