Contribute
Register

Mov file cannot be played on Hackintosh, but plays fine on Macbook pro and mac mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mavericks 10.9.4
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I need help...

I have this .mov file, it plays fine on my macbook pro Retina (Mavericks) and Mac mini (Mountain Lion)
But when I try to run it on my Hackintosh (Quicktime), it only plays sound and I do not get video, only black screen.

I have used VLC and it runs fine on my hackintosh, I get sound and video both

I have uploaded the 2M video clip, http://speedy.sh/gC5jV/portals-01.mov

Can someone help me with this issue? Are there anything I should do to fix the issue?

The movie file seems to need Perian to run correctly.
Quicktime reports the video track as H.264, but with AVC coding.

I just get sound with a black screen if I uninstall Perian.

Perian is available here:
http://perian.org

Can I copy codecs from another working Mac computers?

Since I have a macbook pro that can play this Mov file, I can copy codecs from /Library/QuickTime.

and paste it to my hackintosh...will this work?

You could just download and install Perian, which would do the same thing and be much easier.

Perian does not work....

If you want it to be compatible with the Apple ecosystem, then use handbrake to convert to a native apple format in all respects. Otherwise just be happy with VLC. I actually prefer VLC to Quicktime since it plays basically anything. The only time I care is if I want to load it in to iTunes, which requires transcoding to be compatible with iPads and iPods, etc.

What did you install on the Apple computers for them to play? It might be that you don't have full video card functionality for some reason if you did not install codecs on them. I think it might be less a codec issue and more a video driver/drm issue ultimately.

Can someone please test the video file I uploaded to see if your hackintosh can play it with quicktime?

Can someone please test the video file I uploaded to see if your hackintosh can play it with quicktime?

It played fine on my desktop (see profile/signature for specs).

It played fine on my desktop (see profile/signature for specs).
I wonder if its my GPU or Mavericks boot USB was bad...no matter what I do, my Hackintosh cannot show video, it only plays audio and black screen....

Do you have any GPU in your desktop?

I wonder if its my GPU or Mavericks boot USB was bad...no matter what I do, my Hackintosh cannot show video, it only plays audio and black screen....

Do you have any GPU in your desktop?

Using onboard HD3000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back