Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey there,

since my update to Sierra a few days after release I'm seeing an issue that slowly steals my patience:

Whenever the mouse cursor changes (like when you hover over the edge of a windows and get these double arrows or that single slim vertical line in a text field) it doesn't change back or only changes back in a weird way. It looks like this is primarily an optical problem as the click point still seems to be where it should be with the cursor that is intended do display at this point. The weird thing is that it's totally hard to do exact clicks in for example graphics software at this point.

I'm using an Apple Magic Trackpad and a Logitech MX Master over Bluetooth. No matter which one I use or if i disconnect on or the other (or even remove the Logitech Options software) this behaviour doesn't change. To me it looks like this is not tied to a special mouse or the Bluetooth connection but more like a software problem.

I already thought about which Software that I have installed and that may interfer here but I couldn't find the reason so far.

Has anyone seen this issue or heard of it? May this have to do with the graphics Driver (Using a GTX970 with a Dell UP2715k Display). Already tried removing/closing SwitchResX, BetterTouchTool and others but didn't help unfortunately.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

Logitech just released an updated driver/software for the MX Master noting "Bug fixes". Try that.

Thanks, but I already do have the latest version. Apart from that it's quite obvious that this can't be the reason.

- happens without drivers installed
- happens with both devices disconnected via Screens/VNC
- happens with both devices independent from each other and the other one disconnected

This really seems to be tied to a piece of other software or macOS Sierra (never happened on El Capitan before)

Yeah, the cursor changes about half way across the screen (Right -> Left) as if span mode is corrupting how the screen is setup (2x DP connections). It is very random, but seem tied to how the Mac sends/receives the signal from the 5K 2x DP connection.

The worst part is that it jumps and skips when it changes icon, when the mouse is on the LEFT half of the screen.

Not sure if it's anything but in "about this Mac" -> "Displays" it says 81,5-inch (5120x2880)... quite a large screen!

Anyone who can chime in on what we can try?

Last edited:
I don't have jumping and skipping but the weirdest problem besides the cursor changes is that the clicking point is offset and so It's a lot of guessing.

I think I can replicate that on yours. When its going funky (left-half-screen-mouse-change), try putting Tonymacx86.com in Safari, and let it stretch between both half's of the screen... now when you go to the left part of the screen, the mouse will offset-jump when you go to mouse hovers (like hovering on "Home" "Buyers Guide" "Installation Guide" on this website etc). It's basically all button/links that wants to make a "pointy finger icon" on the mouse.

God it's annoying :)

I have the same problem here; using 2xUP2715K. Left part of the screen, lots of mouse cursor offset to click properly through links, etc.

Please make a test, if you can provoke the mouse error with these steps (follow all! its important)

1. Boot with the screen on.. and wait
2. When all system/apps are loaded go to next step
3. Make sure you click both "screens" with the mouse (the display should be SPLIT INTO 2 SCREENS, because of the 2 displayport connections, but not running 5K yet), making the menubar translucent and non-translucent. Do this several times.
4. Now click the off-screen (so you have a translucent menubar on your display)
5. Shut the monitor off, wait 5 seconds, now turn it on
6. Did it work?

See if you can provoke the stupid mouse error.

I tried this 2 times opening a few programs and messing about with mouse icon changes, and couldn't f*ck it up. Maybe you can.
If I don't follow these steps, I can provoke the mouse error in 3 seconds (just enlarge Application Menu in the bottom, and bam enlarge icon stuck on left screen).

Good luck, I hope this can be a workaround for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back