Contribute
Register

Mouse lag then computer completely freezes. Tried multiple solutions, none worked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GeForce GTX 570 1280MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone,

I'm new to having a Hackintosh, this is my first. A friend offered to build one for me as I needed a Video Editing Machine but couldn't afford a Mac Pro. So far I've loved it but have been having an issue with it randomly freezing and crashing. Some days I'll get through the entire day with no problems, then the next day (which is what happened today) I can't do anything. I've had 6+ crashes today. Here's my build...

Mac OSX 10.7.5 - Boot/Applications on 256GB Crucial M4 SSD Drive - Firmware 0000f
3.39 Intel Core i7
16GB 1333 MHz DDR3
GeForce GTX 570 1280MB
Identifies as MacPro3,1

Don't know if this matters or not, but I use a VoyagerQ Toaster, plugged in through eSata for a lot of my editing drives. The drives I use are all 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm.

I'm not sure what else to put. It's crashed doing various things, but tends to crash the most when I'm using Premiere Pro CS6. I'm also worried that the crashes are affecting the hard drives I'm working on (2TB Seagate Barracuda Drives) as when I try to work on them in Windows through MacDrive, I'm told they're corrupted or unreadable. OS X can read them fine though. Still, it makes me nervous.

+While writing this, my system froze. Figures...

Anyways, here are the things we've checked.

+ I've checked my heat/fans. All the fans are working fine and the temps stay around 30/40*c. Every now and then it spikes up but never higher than 65*c.

+ Thought it was the SSD, so I made an OSX Boot on a Seagate Barracuda 1TB drive...still froze.

+ Ran Stress Tests - Passed fine.

+ Read that someone had an issue with their mouse, can't recall exactly what happened but they said switching to a wireless helped. I did that. Still freezes.

+ Read somewhere else that the wireless card was causing problems. Turned off wireless. Had great success on the first day doing that...thought we'd figured it out. Today it's crashed 6+ times. I've barely gotten any work done.

+ Was previously in 10.7.4. Upgraded to 7.5. Also upgraded Multibeast. Still freezing.

I am at such a loss and am running out of options. It's been terribly frustrating and because I bought this to be my primary work/editing computer, I've not been able to get much work done. I'm pretty sure all the information I've given is correct. I've sent it to my friend to make sure, but he is unfortunately dealing with Hurricane Sandy so I may not hear back soon. I'll update/edit as needed. Thanks everyone. Any feedback is appreciated.

Also, I realize that it may seem strange that I got a machine to use CS6 on Mac when it works fine in Windows, but when I got the computer, which was over summer, I was still using Final Cut Pro 7 and needed the ability to go back to old projects in FCP. Just thought I'd explain that bit.

*EDIT*:
Something interesting just happened. I decided to try using USB 3.0 with my VoyagerQ/Seagate drive. It wouldn't read. I don't really know what I'm doing so I decided to avoid installing this without someone's guidance. Still learning and very cautious. Anyways, I wondered what would happen if I tried in Windows. So I did, and as I said above, this drive is typically seen as unreadable or corrupted when plugged in through eSata...but when it was plugged into Windows through USB 3.0 - it can read the drive. I also realized that I had plugged in my wireless keyboard and mouse into the USB 3.0 ports while on Mac. If it's not reading USB 3.0, could that be causing issues if I have stuff plugged into those ports? Could the problem be eSata? Just thought this was interesting...

In case anyone else is ever dealing with this issue...Here's an update

So, yesterday, I realized that my USB3.0 ports weren't working. I did, however, have my keyboard and mouse plugged into 3.0 ports. So I unplugged those and plugged into normal USB ports, then reinstalled USB3.0 through Multibeast. Tested it with a 3.0 device and they're working now. This same device used to be plugged in through eSata and is now plugged in through 3.0.

So far, I've gone last night and all day today without a crash. I've really worked my system hard today too, using Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, iTunes, Chrome, Mail and at times, intentionally leaving these on together just to see how it'll handle. Everything has handled amazingly.

So maybe it was 3.0 not working properly or eSata. Not totally sure but so far the system is doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back