Graphics
RX5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all. Seeing a new and unwelcome behaviour today. After sleeping, Hackintosh wakes up in a strange state. Mouse movement is very jerky and stuttery (but keyboard seems fine). And kernel_task is hogging about 80 percent of the CPU.

I tried unplugging oddball USB HID stuff... no change. All my mice act the same, so it's not the mouse itself.

The funny thing is that this was not happening a couple of days ago; I could sleep and wake and sleep as many times as I liked with no issues. And I haven't changed anything on the MacOS side. What happened in between was that I left Win10 running for a day or two. I installed Logitech Gaming Software under Win10 and did a wee bit of configuration on a Logitech gaming wheel. Also ASUS ROG driver/utility for Win10, but I didn't do anything with it, just installed. I don't recollect touching anything to do with mice.

I don't see how Win10 could have changed something in how Mojave behaves, but maybe it can? If I restart, the problem goes away. Booting off SSD of course, a restart is pretty painless. But it bugs me that I used to be able to sleep and wake fully functional, and now I have this weird pointer malf.

I read one suggestion that the CPU and GPU can get stuck in "low power mode" at slow speeds. So I'll check on that, but I don't know how to fix it if so. Of course the first thing I tried was sudo nvram -c but it didn't fix anything.

It's seriously irritating when my Win10 install seems to be more stable than Mojave: something's wrong with this picture!

Just had two hiccups where my screen actually blinked. Could it be something to do with graphics card?

Paranoid theory: Win10 tries to sabotage dual-boot hosts!

Been up several minutes now and kernel_task still getting 65% of CPU... nearly unusable with this mouse stutter... time for a restart...

[30 seconds or so later] now everything is just dandy, mouse works fine and kernel_task isn't even on the radar as far as CPU consumption. Core Clock and Memory Clock look about the same as when it was acting up though. So I know how to "fix" it but I would prefer to wake from sleep in a functional condition, like I could 2 days ago!

I tried this experiment but oddly enough, if I

1) reboot to get my video/mouse functionality back
2) put the Hackie to sleep and then
3) wake it again

I can't reproduce the problem.

[UPDATE] yes I can. but the Hackie has to sleep for long enough (whatever that is).
Putting it to sleep then waking up right away doesn't do it.

Right now my best description of the problem is:

On the FIRST clover boot of Mojave AFTER running Win10 for a while...
My mouse and video performance is very stuttery and laggy.
If I reboot Mojave (Restart)...
then the problem goes away.
Unless I put Mojave to sleep for ??? minutes and wake it again.
Then the problem comes back.

No mention of TSC in logs, just a whole lot of diskarbitration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back