Contribute
Register

EFI Agent v1.3.2 (menu bar utility)

Hi all,

Well I tried 1.1.3 and it's working now :thumbup: but the green EFI label isn't showing for me either:

However, clearly it's getting there.

I just ran Hackintool and it shows same as @jaymonkey - no 'efi-boot-device' variable in NVRAM (I've just updated my post as I tried 2.0.3 and nothing showed at all. 2.0.9 works okay :thumbup:) .

Last edited:
Any chance you can copy and paste your Variable Value code for 'efi-boot-devce'
I'll replace your UUID with mine and see what happens ....
I wouldn't recommend it. Most likely would render your machine unbootable.

I did briefly look it up and apparently you can set the variable using the following command from Terminal:
sudo bless --setBoot --folder /

But I would still like to know if I could get this value some other way.

Last edited:
v1.1.3 works here

I wouldn't recommend it. Most likely would render your machine unbootable.

@headkaze,

I also looked into the issue in a bit more detail and i think your right, whilst the settings for 'efi-boot-devce' is fairly straight forward, there is also another NVRAM variable called 'efi-boot-data' which is not so simple to interpret.

I did briefly look it up and apparently you can set the variable using the following command from Terminal:
Code:
sudo bless --setBoot --folder /

But I would still like to know if I could get this value some other way.

I too found out about the 'bless' command but it seems that Apple dropped this method when Apple introduced SIP ... however as i have SIP disabled I tried it to see if it would do anything but the NVRAM variables it inserted where not correct/truncated/corrupted so i deleted them.

It seems the 'bless' command has been replaced with the terminal command "systemsetup -setstartupdisk" ...
Some info on 'bless' and its replacement here :-

Unfortunately this command seems to need not just a disk id but a path to a specific Apple boot efi file so again its not so straight forward :banghead: .. I'll continue to look into it and let you know if i get anywhere.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I also looked into the issue in a bit more detail and i think your right, whilst the settings for 'efi-boot-devce' is fairly straight forward, there is also another NVRAM variable called 'efi-boot-data' which is not so simple to interpret.

Setting the efi-boot-device value to the boot disk is quite simple and I could even add it to Hackintool but as you mentioned efi-boot-data seems to be binary data and not so easy to set.

I'm wondering if setting System Preferences->Startup Disk sets these values?

Attachments

• StartupDisk.png
    StartupDisk.png
    284.3 KB · Views: 183
Setting the efi-boot-device value to the boot disk is quite simple and I could even add it to Hackintool but as you mentioned efi-boot-data seems to be binary data and not so easy to set.

I'm wondering if setting System Preferences->Startup Disk sets these values?

@headkaze,

I tried ... System Preferences->Startup Disk but it does not seem to set the NVRAM values like 'Bless' used to and 'systemsetup -setstartupdisk' does ... also it does not list my clover/EFI boot partition as an option.

I guess you could add an option to MountEFI's context menu .. "Mark as boot EFI" and write your own variable and value to NVRAM .. If it exists in NVRAM it would over ride your current code/logic to highlight the boot EFI .. just a thought.

Cheers
Jay

MountEFI 1.1.4 Released
- Visual improvements for both light and dark themes

Attachments

• MountEFI_Light.png
    MountEFI_Light.png
    421.1 KB · Views: 110
  • MountEFI_Dark.png
    MountEFI_Dark.png
    428.9 KB · Views: 106
Thank you for a really useful utility. Working wonderfully here.

Thank you for this utility.
Here are a couple of screenshots of how it works for me.

Thanks for the utilty very userfull :clap:

Back