Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion wont boot, "Still waiting for root device..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System make and model names > See Rules!
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 6870
I was previously having trouble installing Mountain Lion on my hackintosh, but i eventually got it installed (i had to do a clean install) but then it would only boot into safe mode and only if i set the flag "GraphicsEnabler=No" but then i was able to get it to boot (i did not do anything it just booted up perfectly) but it only boots maybe once out 10 times that i try. When i boot verbose, it runs and then it prints "Still waiting for root device..." every few minutes it reprints the message. Any help would be appreciated.

My specs:

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev: 1.3 F8
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6870
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue
SSD: Samsung 830 Series

Attachments

• IMG_20121111_175031.jpg
    IMG_20121111_175031.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 703
Make sure that your OS X hard drive is set as primary boot. I had this once and it was just a setting in the bios wrong.

I checked the boot priority, and my OS X drive was listed as number one, i also then tried the -x npci=0x3000 and it got right passed the apple logo screen, and then it was a white screen and i could move the cursor. Coincidentally it seems to be booting properly right now, but i dont understand why. I literally have not done anything beyond the suggestions that have been given to me and on occasion the machine won't boot, but sometimes it does... still more suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated because i am by no means an expert at any of this. Thanks for the help so far.

ok here it is, i dont know if this matters, but my monitor resolution is 1920x1080

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

it worked on the first attempt. I am going to keep trying to make sure though. Thank you so much i really appreciate it.

Unfortunately it seems I have spoken too soon the second time I rebooted its was unable to. The spin wheel under the apple logo spun until a quit logo appeared over the apple logo. Like before when I boot verbose it keeps printing still waiting for root device.

This is what happened when i tried:

Jamels-Mac-Pro:~ jamel$ cd
Jamels-Mac-Pro:~ jamel$ /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS
-bash: /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS: is a directory
Jamels-Mac-Pro:~ jamel$ sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x4a\x00\x00\xeb\x03|\x8b\x4a\x00\x00\xe8\x 01|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
Can't open IOAHCIBlockStorage: No such file or directory.
Jamels-Mac-Pro:~ jamel$ sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x0e\x48\x8d\x3d\x72\x92\x00\x00|\xbf\xc8\x 00\x00\x00\x90\x90\x90\x90|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
Can't open IOAHCIBlockStorage: No such file or directory.
Jamels-Mac-Pro:~ jamel$ sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
Jamels-Mac-Pro:~ jamel$

I put the code into the terminal wrong, which is why i received the message that the directory did not exist. Once i noticed my mistake i corrected it and now i can boot flawlessly into Mountain Lion and the other issues that i was having with the animations for notification center and launch pad are also gone. Much thanks to you man for helping me.

In my case the BIOS reset itself.
I used GA-B75-D3H Motherboard and i3 CPU.

I updated bios and went it to check the params.
I set SATA to AHCI from IDE
XHCI to enable
Intel Grahpics Card Sleep and Deep Sleep - disable
I use intels built-in one
init IGFX first
256MB of Graphics memory

This "Still waiting" has to do with IGFX and possibly SATA

In my case the BIOS reset itself.
I used GA-B75-D3H Motherboard and i3 CPU.

I updated bios and went it to check the params.
I set SATA to AHCI from IDE
XHCI to enable
Intel Grahpics Card Sleep and Deep Sleep - disable
I use intels built-in one
init IGFX first
256MB of Graphics memory

This "Still waiting" has to do with IGFX and possibly SATA

OS X does not and cannot run under IDE mode. Change it to AHCI. If that doesn't fix the problem, disable XHCI if you don't have RehabMan's GenericUSBXHCI kext. If you have XHCI enabled make sure you have his kext installed (it's needed for most PCs w/ USB3 at least as I'm aware)

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back