i7-11700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a OCZ Petrol SSD III 128 GB Flash drive, I installed Lion and it works great, but Mountain Lion does not boot of it just a spinning wheel is all I get. Installed lion again and it works, installed MT just a spinning wheel or circle what ever it is. I tried both fresh and over Lion install. I have MT on a normal hard drive and it works great. I even copied ML from the hardrive to the SSD and still didn't work, just spinning wheel.

You could try an ATA Secure Erase command on the SSD and do a fresh install using UniBeast/Mountain Lion or whatever method you're comfortable with.

This is a known problem with OCZ Petrol and Octane drives.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...Lion-Boot-issues-Octane-Petrol-OctaneS2/page4

OCZ is "working on it"...has been now for about two weeks.

You can make the existing setup work with a hack or two. You need to remove a specific file _each time you shut down_, then boot into Single User mode, then exit single user mode.

Works for me. I wrote an AppleScript that will delete the required file and shut the computer down gracefully. Still have to boot in single user mode every time though. If you forget to erase the file before shut down you can delete it from Single User mode, too. Details on request.

So this only happens to Mountain Lion, since Lions works flawlessly on the SSD? Was wondering how will they fix it?

Yes, it only happens with Mountain Lion (as OCZ says n the link I posted). The only possible way for OCZ to fix it would be via a firmware update for the SSD.

Well I'll try to get a different SSD tomorrow, today I was unable to boot win 7 off the drive, the drive was not found in BIOS. I did manage to get osx to see it so I quickly ported my saved game folder of it. Usually Bios sees UEFI Petrol and SSD Petrol, they both belong together. Sometimes I only see UEFI Petrol and SSD Petrol is missing, sometimes both are there, and sometimes none are showing. Tomorrow I'll get the next SSD with the name ADATA S510 SSD 120 GB. Hope no problems with this one. Thx for the help, if this new SSD works then this topic is closed and for others to read.

Did that, anyways I already returned my drive, I don't get my money back thou, I have to wait for a replacement drive then I can get a different drive once the drive was replaced, that would be sometime next week when I get the new drive. Right now I use the old mechanical drives for mac and win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back