Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion - USB 3.0 - Gigabyte UEFI Success! (Sort Of)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HackPro
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
Gigabyte GV-R6870C 1GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
UPDATED - SUCCESS! Mountain Lion - USB 3.0 - Gigabyte UEFI Success!

I have been battling with USB 3.0 functionality on my Hack Pro since I installed Mountain Lion, and I think I have finally had some success. I want to try to detail each step of the way and what the outcomes were for them, so here goes.

1. After upgrading to UEFI (U1h) on my GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 1.3, I made sure that "xHCI Handoff" and "EHCI Handoff" were both enabled, and that both USB 3.0 headers were active.

2. Selected the NEC/Renasas kext from MultiBeast. Fixed Permissions, Rebuilt Cache. Reboot

3. Upon reboot, ports were recognized as "USB 3.0 Super-Speed Bus" in system profiler, but both of my USB 3.0 card readers (one realtek, and one kingston) would show up as connected with a max link speed of 480Mbps. Also, when a card was inserted, nothing would happen, nothing would mount.

4. I purchased a Syba 2-port USB 3.0 PCI-E x1 card - N82E16815124113 from NewEgg, which is based on the AsMedia 1042 controller. I installed the card and rebooted. Upon reboot, the only difference was that a third "USB 3.0 Super-Speed Bus" was added to my list in System Profiler.

5. I downloaded the CalDigit ML kext from CalDigit's support site and it didn't work either, after reboot, I KP'd.

6. Got my KP fixed by removing the CalDigit package, then I removed the PXHCD kext from /S/L/E, repaired, rebuilt, and rebooted. Upon reboot, none of my USB 3.0 ports were recognized.

7. Found a post on OSX86.net, which detailed the process and a zip file for getting the AsMedia 1042 working under ML, but stated that a DSDT patch was required. I don't have a DSDT, so I figured that I was boned. Since I was looking for a hail mary, I installed the kexts from that post using KextBeast and rebooted. KP!!, great...

8. Got back to functional, and found a piece of software at CalDigit's site called "CalDigit Uninstaller", so I DL'd and ran it. Turns out, there is a CalDigit kext included with ML, CalDigitHDPro.kext or something like that. The uninstaller removed that kext (I'm assuming, not totally sure the entire process that it runs.) and rebooted the machine. NO KP! :D

9. After reboot, I tried reinstalling the kexts from the OSX86.net post above. Ran KextBeast, rebooted.

10. Upon reboot, ALL of my USB 3.0 ports (including the on-board ones) show up in System Profiler as "CalDigit USB3.0 Super-Speed Bus", and just like when using the MultiBeast kext, both of my USB 3.0 card readers show up with a max link speed of 480Mbps. The HUGE difference this time is that when I insert a card into either the AsMedia ports or the on-board ports with either card reader, the card is instantly recognized and mounted!! Woo-Hoo!

11. The card readers are the only USB 3.0 devices that I have, so I don't have confirmation that another device will mount at 5Gbps or not. I am disappointed that the card readers link at 480Mbps, but this is the most progress I've made, and everything is working.

So... Really long story short, remove your PXHCD kext, repair/rebuild/reboot, Run the CalDigit Uninstaller, reboot, KextBeast the kexts from osx86.net, reboot, and you should have funtional USB 3.0 ports without the add-in card that I purchased.

I hope that someone who owns a USB 3.0 external HDD will follow this procedure and post successful results showing a 5Gbps link speed in System Profiler.

So here is the update. I got a USB3.0 SATA dock from NewEgg today. I plugged in a 500GB 7200 RPM Hitachi DeskStar SATA II HDD. I formatted the drive to one HFS+, GUID partition, then I ran BlackMagic disk speed test. When attached to the USB 2.0 ports, this was the result:
HDD SATA II 7200RPM USB 2 PORT.jpg
Then, I plugged the same drive into one of my "480Mbps" USB 3.0 ports, and this was the result:
HDD SATA II 7200RPM USB 3 PORT.jpg
72MB/s is waaay higher than the theoretical limit of USB 2.0 (@ 60MB/s), and is right in line with what I expect the write performance on rotational media to be.

To further prove that Mountain Lion is lying as far as the link speed is concerned, I plugged in an 8GB Kingston DataTraveler. It was also prepared with a single HFS+ GUID partition scheme. Plugged in to USB 2.0 port, here is the result:
8GB KINGSTON DATATRAVELER USB 2 PORT.jpg
OK, so this thing is slow as all hell, but when I plugged it in to USB 3.0 port:
8GB KINGSTON DATATRAVELER USB 3 PORT.jpg
still a significant improvement over the 2.0 port.

I will report further once I test with a SATA III SSD in the docking station, but for now, I am convinced that this is working as USB 3.0 should be!

Bump for update news!

I tried the drivers you mentioned on a Z77 and it stops all the USB ports on the board from working, so clearly there's a conflict there with the Intel drivers. That said, I'll give this a try and see if it works on a Z68 board.

Nice work.. ;)

There drivers are included in the new Multibeast, but they might break sleep and hibernation. On top of that it seems like the automatic re-boot problem is enabled by these drivers...
Not ideal, but they work with NEC, ASMedia and Etron controllers.

Mountain Lion - USB 3.0 - Gigabyte UEFI

Hello,

Has anyone managed to get full USB 3.0 speed on one of the z77 Gigabyte UEFI boards on the USB 3.0 connectors that are directly controlled by the Z77 chip?

On my ga-z77x-ud3h, the Intel-controlled USB 3.0 ports do work, but only at USB 2.0 speed, even when connecting a USB 3.0 peripheral.

Dual-booting in Windows 7, they do work at USB 3.0 speed, so presumably it's not due to bios settings, though I admit being confused about the correct setting for "EHCI Hand-off" -- what should it be set to? (Current settings on enclosed screenshot)

Many thanks!

Attachments

• peripherals-bios.jpg
    peripherals-bios.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,983
I can't see anything from that screen shot.
Did you set xHCI mode to Auto, rather than Smart Auto or Enabled?
EHCI is USB 2.0 and it apparently doesn't matter in the later UEFI revisions, so leave it disabled.

Mountain Lion - USB 3.0 - Gigabyte UEFI settings

Sorry about the screenshot -- the web interface must have shrunk it because it was too tall!

xHCI, XHCI Hand-off and EHCI Hand-off are all enabled.

In Windows 7 this setting gives the expected superspeed connection ...

Do you have better results with a different combination of settings?

Since all these z77 Gigabyte boards probably have very similar settings, it would be useful if you would add some bios screenshots to your basic installation instructions (F12 takes a screenshot in the UEFI bios interface if there is a FAT32 usb-stick inserted)

Many thanks for your input!

Attachments

• peripherals-bios.gif
    peripherals-bios.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 14,884
p.s. I just tried EHCI Hand-off disabled and xHCI=Auto, but the result is the same: with Windows 7 the read speed is ca 100 MB/sec, whereas in Mountain Lion it tops off at 33 MB/sec ...

There drivers are included in the new Multibeast, but they might break sleep and hibernation. On top of that it seems like the automatic re-boot problem is enabled by these drivers...
Not ideal, but they work with NEC, ASMedia and Etron controllers.

I noticed they are included, but I am having no trouble with sleep/reboot/shutdown; nor am I experiencing automatic reboot. Maybe only work well with my particular board/revision?? Not quite sure, but I would like to help out however i can. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back