Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion Slower Boot Times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found out one of the Parallels kext is always being updated everytime you boot (datetime on file always changes). This kext is stored in S/L/E -- which causes OSX to always rebuild the cache unnecessarily on your next boot.

Fixed issue by removing the sym link file and copying the actual kext into it. Reduced my boot time from 90+ seconds to 40-50 seconds using a SATA drive.

Also, check Console log... some startup programs may not be fully ML compatible which causes timeout/unnecessary waiting/errors as shown in Log file. Update or remove said programs in startup items.

Thanks for information. Can you explain me once more, but with more information about this procedures? Please! I use Parallels desktop too. Thank you.

i got 2 SSD and both works fine with Mountain Lion.
OCZ 120GB Agility 3
OCZ VERTEX 2 40GB
they give same Boot time like Lion.
so not need to replace anything.

Thanks for information. Can you explain me once more, but with more information about this procedures? Please! I use Parallels desktop too. Thank you.

Check the datetime on S/L/E/prl_usb_connect.kext. Write down the date/time.
Reboot your computer. Take note of time you rebooted your computer.
After rebooting, re-check the datetime on S/L/E/prl_usb_connect.kext.
Did it change?

Let me know.

made my day

since I installed ML GM and final release booting takes 27 sec but after installing these 2 kexts from Lion booting time reduce to be 6 sec, thank you looking forward to back to Lion booting time was 1 sec :D

My Crucial M4 64gb SSD took about 45 seconds to boot after initially installing ML. But replacing/installing those 2 kexts mentioned worked great. Back to normal now, if not faster. Thanks!

I'm having the same problem. I tried installing those 2 kexts & got a kernel panic... so I'm guessing my problem is different. Here is a screenshot of where it's hanging...

slowbootml.jpg

"USBMSC Identifier" - it hangs there for at least 15 seconds. I haven't timed it but I would say it's around 30 seconds total before I can get to my desktop. I'm on an OCZ Vertex 4 SSD & my boot time before was 5-7 seconds on Snow Leopard. Here is my org.chameleon.Boot.plist as well:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Any help would be appreciated!

In my tests I could notice around 15 seconds less in booting to the desktop than before replacing the above mentioned kexts.

Apart from that, and somewhat annoying, is the fact that every reboot the desktop background resets itself to the default galaxy after installation.

Anyone with similar symptoms ?

Thanks in advance !

UPDATE: Wow... no joke guys. I tried installing the same 2 kexts again but this time with Kext Wizard and now my boot time is around 3-4 seconds lol thank you so much for the fix! For those having trouble definitely use Kext Wizard instead of drag & dropping.

Attachment removed! Please don't reupp those kexts in the future!

It's just a fix/workaround, not a solution to reinstall Lion kexts into Mountain Lion. After installing the ML 10.8.1 Update, all your Systems will be kernel panicing.

Removing "UseKernelcache=Yes" from boot.plist works for me

OK, so removing kernelcache=yes reduces boot time from 35 seconds to 17 seconds for me. So, what did I just do by removing that and does it affect anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back