Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion Slower Boot Times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Samsung 830 boots very slow. In -v mode, the line "macx_swapon SUCCESS" stays for a very long time.
When I replaced the two files with lion' kext, ML wasn't able to boot anymore. I started again in safe mode and replaced the two kext files with my backup. Nothing changed. Still not able to boot.
So I ended in reinstalling ML.

I stay with a slow booting Samsung 830 SSD. :(

Wow thank you, my boot time is now even faster than with Lion.
About 10 seconds now.

No bluetooth devices. Only wired keyboard and mouse.

Another report of successful fix. Thanks guys.
Boot times seem faster.

Update:
Everything seems faster with regards to disk access. overall experience much smoother working with Mtn. Lion.
Eject button on keyboard also now works.

Very impressive, its your hack?
Intel 520 ssd its a game changer :)
And i guess it have minimal possible kext loading

My i7 950 with samsung 128 ssd make a nice 24.6 sec with lot of peripherics/kexts loading.

It can't be right 24secs with SSD ??? My system is Asus P6T, Core i7 920 boots in 24secs with 1TB Western Digital Black Edition. I think you should get less than 10secs with SSD. Anyway I'm not replacing the two files that you guys have been talking about. I replaced the AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the one from SL...yeah my ML boots from 2mins to 24 secs....

It can't be right 24secs with SSD ??? My system is Asus P6T, Core i7 920 boots in 24secs with 1TB Western Digital Black Edition. I think you should get less than 10secs with SSD. Anyway I'm not replacing the two files that you guys have been talking about. I replaced the AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the one from SL...yeah my ML boots from 2mins to 24 secs....

there's lot of variables on boot times. ssd its just one of it
From anandtech tests, 18sec its a normal boot time for clean lion installation with samsung 830 ssd.
In my case, my SAta 6GB port its not OSX supported, so i had use PCI one that perform worst.
In other hand my hack its my main machine, i have lot of peripherics (aka Kexts), all my usb port are in use, and have 2 usb hubs full of gadgets :). because all of this, i think 26 its not a bad time. Btw i start count at moment i press "Enter" on Multibeast screen.
I know my HDD its working 99% of boot time, i m not having waiting times.
On other hand my sandy bridge i3 with normal hdd take 60 sec to start, and half of that time is waiting for "things". In Lion the boot time was about 25 seg. This is a mediacenter machine, i dont have nothing connected to usb's and no pci cards too. I can say its a clean OSX installation.

I m thinking about test that files changes from SL on my i3, but the idea of change kext from so old OSX ....
anyway going test it in my backup disk

I found out one of the Parallels kext is always being updated everytime you boot (datetime on file always changes). This kext is stored in S/L/E -- which causes OSX to always rebuild the cache unnecessarily on your next boot.

Fixed issue by removing the sym link file and copying the actual kext into it. Reduced my boot time from 90+ seconds to 40-50 seconds using a SATA drive.

Also, check Console log... some startup programs may not be fully ML compatible which causes timeout/unnecessary waiting/errors as shown in Log file. Update or remove said programs in startup items.

When I can get Mountain Lion to boot, it takes about a minute. Lion took no more than 10 seconds.

Also, I can't use the kexts, I get these errors when I paste them to the new folder:
'The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update."

"The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update."

Anyone know how to resolve this issue? I'm on the admin account, and put in my password.

For me, ML has been very buggy and boot takes forever (when it actually boots). I wouldn't suggest upgrading.

Try installing the two kexts with Kextbeast instead of just dragging them into the Extensions folder.

It seems ML on Ivy Bridge is slow to boot even after replacing AppleAHCIPort and IOAHCIFamily. I'm on a Vertex III also and on Lion boots were within 10 secs. Nowadays it's triple that. Sucks for me. :/

When I can get Mountain Lion to boot, it takes about a minute. Lion took no more than 10 seconds.

Also, I can't use the kexts, I get these errors when I paste them to the new folder:
'The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update."

"The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update."

Anyone know how to resolve this issue? I'm on the admin account, and put in my password.

For me, ML has been very buggy and boot takes forever (when it actually boots). I wouldn't suggest upgrading.

Same things happened to me. I wasn't successful with kextbeast nor with manually deleting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back