i7-3770
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just wondering has anyone got this or a similar configuration working?

I have tried to replace the ATI6000 connector.kext method but no joy. My graphics card produces a picture but does not allow me past the login screen. I can no longer use my mouse or keyboard at the login screen

Everything works great without the card HD4000+audio+USB3.0 just one last hurdle. Please help

Did you try GraphiceEnabler=No or PCIRootUID=0 and did you change your VGA settings in bios?

6850's generally work without any fiddling around. You only have to disable or delete the ATI6000Controller.kext for the installation. On the install usb, change ATI6000Controller.kext to ATI6000Controller.kext.bak .After the installation, remove the .bak extension, install the ATI6000Controller.kext with a decent kext installer like kext utility or kext wizard and you should just be able to boot as is. Some people have complained that it does not work after installing the kext, but in most cases used a kext install app that does not repair permissions or rebuild the kext cache. Kext Utility will do this by default. You can use GraphicsEnabler set to No or Yes. You only need GE=Y if you want the DVDPlayer to work. Other than that, this card's ID is already inside the ATI kexts and just works OOB. I cannot think of anything else you would need to do as this card is one of few that is natively supported Even OpenCL & AGPM works without any modifications or anything else.

Thanks guys for the replies, I have found that its just the HDMI that causes me trouble. Yes the ATIcontroller replacement method works. So for the moment i'm just gonna use a DVI and an audio cable.

It would be great to get the HDMI working. If anyone finds anything please post

Attached is a patched 10.8 ATI kext for your card. (didn't check audio)

I just use a passive DP->HDMI converter ($7US) to my 27'' display, I only run 1 with this setup and didn't need an active converter.

TIP: I like to keep as many kexts native as I can, makes for easy updating!

Attachments

• Sapphire68xxHDMI.zip
    110.3 KB · Views: 375
Sorry to be a noob, but I've been thinking of building a mac (first time) with recommended specs from this website, but I have a similar 6850 question. First of all, here's what I plan on using for the basic components:

Intel Core i5-3570K
GA-Z77X-UD5H
SSD (Undecided on which one yet)
8 GB DDR3 1600

Most everything else I'm using from my old setup. What confuses me is that on this website, the Unibeast 1.5 install guide says to NOT use the 6850 when setting everything up and to just use the on-board Intel video. It says after you're fully installed you can put your card back in. Would you do this before the Multi-Beast post installation then? Another thing the guide doesn't really say is anything about using a kext utility, so I'm kinda lost as to when I'd follow SubXero's instructions for that. Other than the timing of when to set up my 6850, it doesn't look too difficult. Thanks for any help you can give me. :)

Oh look, my profile even says I'm a noob... :p

Only way to get HDMI audio working is by injecting the info into your DSDT. Toleda has a lot of useful info on that. View his posts and you will get it working. If your not using a DSDT like most on UEFI boards, you will not get HDMI audio or 5.1 surround either for that matter.

Sorry to be a noob, but I've been thinking of building a mac (first time) with recommended specs from this website, but I have a similar 6850 question. First of all, here's what I plan on using for the basic components:

Intel Core i5-3570K
GA-Z77X-UD5H
8 GB DDR3 1600

Most everything else I'm using from my old setup. What confuses me is that on this website, the Unibeast 1.5 install guide says to NOT use the 6850 when setting everything up and to just use the on-board Intel video. It says after you're fully installed you can put your card back in. Would you do this before the Multi-Beast post installation then? Another thing the guide doesn't really say is anything about using a kext utility, so I'm kinda lost as to when I'd follow SubXero's instructions for that. Other than the timing of when to set up my 6850, it doesn't look too difficult. Thanks for any help you can give me. :)

It is really easy... Ignore the guide. Guides are based on 1 person's method. The person writing that guide assumes you have onboard HD4000 or similar, which is short sighted. That said, it can also be a mission to get onboard graphics working. Just go straight to what you want to do, instead of jumping through someone else's hoops. The method I explained takes far less effort. As for kext utility, google it and you will find it. In fact it is hosted on osx86.net. Once your install is complete, move kext utility to your apps folder or desktop. To install any kext, drag the kext from the source onto the app and release. Kext utility takes care of the rest. The reason I recommend kext utility over kext beast is that it repairs permissions on the kext and rebuilds the kext cache - which is the proper way to install a kext.

The reason for renaming the ATI6000Controller.kext to ATI6000Controller.kext.bak is just so that it does not load during the install procedure. If it loads you will get a white screen. With it not loading, you will get a low-res default display. This only happens during the install for some reason. Which is why after the installation, you can move the renamed kext to your desktop, remove the .bak extension and install it. This is the way 90% of 6-series hacks are done. The rest follow the 'guide'.

Intel Core i5-3570K
GA-Z77X-UD5H
8 GB DDR3 1600

Those are just two different ways of doing the same thing. By "removing" ATI6000Controller.kext, you're essentially disabling your 6850 graphics card. tonymacx86 recommends removing your 6850 entirely, because this is a more straightforward way of doing it. In your case, either method will work.

Sorry to take so long to get back to both of you, but thanks for the tips. Now hopefully I'll find some time to get around to setting this up! Thanks again. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back