Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion on Zotac H77ITX-B-E + i5 3570K ( Intel HD Graphics 4000 )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77-UD5H
CPU
Core i5 3570k
Graphics
Geforce 660 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. LC
  3. Performa
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Why Zotac:
I am off the beaten "safe" track with this non-Gigabyte motherboard, but it is a great motherboard [mSATA, eSATA, HDMI/displayPort/DVI] and was half the price of the Zotac Z77ITX-A-E board, and even less than the H77 "A" model (H77ITX-A-E). I saw it in the store, and it turns out that I bought the first one they had -- this board is a new release here in Japan.

I saw that couple people (minihack and hspfriend) have had some success with ML on their Zotac Z77's. I figured that the H77 board couldn't be that much different... from that you can tell that I am a n00b -- this is my first CustoMac. :headbang:

Hardware:
Zotac H77ITX-B-E comes with
- Realtek ALC892 audio
- Realtek LAN
- Azurewave PCIe Wi-Fi - Bluetooth card (came w motherboard)
- USB 3.0

Intel i5 3570K (HD Graphics 4000)
mSATA Crucial 256Gb SSD
16Gb RAM

Mountain Lion install:
Uniibeast is awesome. Worked just fine.
Multibeast 5.0.2 worked .. kind of. Read on.

LAN - worked out of the box. :D
USB 3.0 ports and 2.0 ports working fine. ( though I don't have usb3 devices to test) Able to connect webcam and do Photo booth.

HDMI Video - after Unibeast able to boot into generic graphics mode...
HDMI Audio - installed only 1. Drivers / Audio / Realtek ALC8xx / Without DSDT / ACL892 for my first MultiBeast install ... and HD Audio seemed to work great!
... but after installing Easybeast, Video and Audio flipped
After EasyBeast, HDMI Video -- now is great Intell graphics 4000!! but youtube & vimeo don't play?
:|
After EasyBeast, HDMI Video doesn't work -- just shows device #892.

Sleep doesn't work yet. Using NullPowerManagement at the moment.
[strikeout]Wifi[/strikeout] - Bluetooth don't work yet.
The mSATA SSD works fine.
So does the 2.5" hard drive which is plugged into SATA slot 0. (the red slots 2 and 3 didn't work for me).

Whats next:
* May do a few reinstalls to see what results are for HD Audio and Youtube. Will update this post as I learn.
* I think I probably will have to learn how to build my own DSDT for this mobo.
* Inspire more people to try out the Zotac.
* get some sleep -- work is a pain right now and I get home I am too tired to post and fiddle with the Customac...

Edit:
Aug 15: Wifi now works! See post #38 and #41: [Success] i5 2500k - Zotac Z77ITX - Mountain Lion

After looking at miramar's progress in Minihack's thread with the Zotac Z77ITX board, I decided to start from scratch with a fresh Unibeast install and see how far I can get on the Zotac H77ITX-B-E board, keeping it as simple as possible.

1. Fresh Unibeast v1.5.3 install of Mountain Lion.
2. After restart, booting via USB into Mountain Lion install on the SDD.
* If you have a kernel panic on AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext at this point, boot into the USB Unibeast installer again, but instead of running the installer, Go to Utilities/Terminal... and use the terminal to move or delete the AICPUPM.kext.
Code:
$ mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /tmp

3. Bare bones install of Multibeast 5.0.2:
* User DSDT
* Network - Lnx2Mac driver for Ethernet LAN
* Audio - no dsdt for Realtek ALX892
Screen Shot 2012-08-20 at 8.32.33 PM.png
4. After reboot, you should have
* Intel HD Graphics 4000!!
* Ethernet Lan working
* No audio :/

5. Next, get sleep/wake working: From minihack's thread download the "Zotac Kit".
* Copy the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from "Zotac Kit/Patching of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/Patched ML Version/" to your desktop.
* Use KextBeast to install the AICPUPM.kext into /S/L/E/

---
So for not much effort, I get
Out-of-Box: USB2/USB3, mSATA SSD working, SATA HDD working.
Steps 1-5 above: Sleep/wake, Intel HD Graphics 4000, Ethernet LAN.
---
That is where I am at the moment. So far so good.

Next up is
a) I got Wi-Fi working before by editing a kext but which I want to integrate into a DSDT like miramar did, and
b) figure out regular audio and HDMI Audio, which also look like require DSDT edits.

I have managed to get the 9285 and HDMI A/V working with DSDT codes let me know if u need help.

1. Which motherboard / CPU do you have?
2. How did you get HDMI Audio to work? I have been reading toleda's guides for both regular analog audio and HDMI Audio but I haven't yet attempted them... still trying to understand how to do it.

Hi herflet, how's it going? Glad to see your making progress in your build. Have you got analog audio working? I've created a new thread here, "miramar's Zomac: Zotac Z77ITX - i5 3570K - HD4000 - Mini-ITX - Mountain Lion", with all the details of my Z77ITX build. Might have info that may help you.

By the way, do you know what's the difference between the Zotac H77ITX-B-E that you have and the Zotac H77ITX-A-E model?

I'm thinking of getting one to build a cheaper version of my Z77ITX.

Update:
Just read your post in minihack's thread that you have analog audio working. Which ports did you try for HDMI audio? On my Z77ITX, it only works on the DisplayPort which happens to be port07. You can check the Port numbers in ioRegistryExplorer. Toleda's HD4000 edits is fairly generic so I don't see why it shouldn't work on your board.

I'm planning to use H77ITX-A-E or H77ITX-B-E to build mini too.

From manual, The only different between those two model (other than some connector location) is: H77ITX-A-E has 6 SATA port (2 SATA III, 3 SATA II, 1 eSATA), H77ITX-B-E has 5 SATA port (2 SATA III, 2 SATA II, 1 eSATA). Also H77ITX-B-E has later BIOS release date, so I guess H77ITX-B-E released after H77ITX-A-E.

Of cause no spec on chips been used for WIFI, LAN, and so on. But I guess they should be same as Z77ITX-A-E.

I didn't see H77ITX-B-E available in US yet.

Hi herflet, how's it going? Glad to see your making progress in your build. Have you got analog audio working? I've created a new thread here, "miramar's Zomac: Zotac Z77ITX - i5 3570K - HD4000 - Mini-ITX - Mountain Lion", with all the details of my Z77ITX build. Might have info that may help you.

By the way, do you know what's the difference between the Zotac H77ITX-B-E that you have and the Zotac H77ITX-A-E model?

I'm thinking of getting one to build a cheaper version of my Z77ITX.

Update:
Just read your post in minihack's thread that you have analog audio working. Which ports did you try for HDMI audio? On my Z77ITX, it only works on the DisplayPort which happens to be port07. You can check the Port numbers in ioRegistryExplorer. Toleda's HD4000 edits is fairly generic so I don't see why it shouldn't work on your board.

Zotac H77ITX-B-E and H77ITX-A-E Differences:
If you go to Zotac.com and enter via the Japan website, you can navigate to a the H77 pages (A-here, B-here). Basically the A version has 6 SATA ports (versus 5 on the B), and also has a RAID controller chip, plus some extra USB 3.0 brackets in the box. I love this board, by the way!

Audio:
Yeah, I did use your DSDT for HDEF-HDMI_audio-Wifi, and analog audio and Wifi worked (but not HDMI audio).
After that, I did a clean re-install and decided to try to make my own DSDT... and I am struggling a bit. Also don't have much time during the week. I will give making another try this weekend, but I find the whole DSDT thing a bit confusing...:eek: but maybe the light will go on if I give it a few more tries.

Thanks for all your help! Will reply in this thread with updates (will probably be posting in Toleda's audio threads for help too).

hey mate, sorry missed your PM. The new forum system is a bit lacking, I reckon.

Anyway, I got temporary fix for my audio by setting UseKernelCache=No bootflag. Toleda's thread is a bit confusing for a noob like me but I think I understand it now, going to give it a try when I'm free

By the way, have you got the chance to update the BIOS? The PDF instruction is atrocious and apparently there are no mods helping in the forum either :S

Also what BIOS settings do you use to get USB 3.0 port working? My hack doesn't pick up anything plugged into USB 3.0 ports and some USB storage actually freeze up the whole system :S

Hi !

I'm trying to install ML on a HackMini CustomBuild:
Streacom F1C evo + Streacom 150W nanoPSU
ZOTAC H77-ITX WiFi B series Mini ITX
Intel Core i3-3225 / 16 Go RAM / Crucial M4 128 Go

I give a first test with Unibeast+Multibeast and it works but I had no wifi, no sound, no youtube video.
Then I try something (installing Z77 ITL .AML file) and ML crashed...

Then I just start a second try. ML install just end, I will try to have sound (and wifi but I don't need it now)...

Thanks a lot if you have some tips or help.

CAM00003.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back