1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Please read this before posting:

1) If you having issues when installing something other than with your purchased retail copy of Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion, STOP and read this: Rules Then go purchase you own copy and post your results.

2) Since installation on laptops and desktops are so very different, ALL questions laptop related or when using a laptop MUST be posted in the appropriate Laptop forum.

3) Apple has never supported AMD CPUs so the methods and software on this site won't work.

4) Apple removed support for Atom CPUs as of OS X 10.6.2 and there is no support for them in Mountain Lion.

5) OS X can ONLY be installed on a disk using GPT, it does NOT support MBR. If you want to install on your current disk you will need to erase it in OS X or purchase a separate disk to install on. Any discussion of methods to circumvent this will be deleted as that is a violation of forum policies of modifying the installer.

6) Installing on a non-Apple laptop is a science experiment. You will most likely have issues with things like graphics, networking (wired and/or wireless), power management, sleep, integrated cameras, battery status, etc.

7) If you are trying to install on to a laptop that only has Intel HD Graphics, be aware that this GPU is not supported. It will only run at 1024x768 with NO graphics acceleration and you will not be able to run things like iTunes.

8) If your laptop is using NVIDIA Optimus graphics switching technology, you can stop reading as it's not supported and most likely will never be.

9) Apple Software Updates will most likely break your working system. So ensure you have a good backup before installing.

10) Since there are so many configurations of laptops, and components can vary even with same model, you may not find another person with your exact specs to help.

11) If you're still reading this and want to proceed - use search before posting.

Thank you and good luck.

tonymacx86 and MacMan

Hello
I have a LG laptop and i cannot boot the mac os x dvd on it. every time there is a kernel panic and also the commands do not work.
the specifications are as follows:-
HDD - 650 gb
Graphics - intel dedicated graphics 1 gb
processor - 2nd gen core i3
RAM - 4 gb
OS - windows 7 home premium

please help i want to use mac...

Hey, Im having a few issues with my 4530s instal....to be expected. but my ethernet was working great and the it just stopped one day??? any ideas on a fixe... I've installed two kext files for realtek EN and nowthing still.

Hey, Im having a few issues with my 4530s instal....to be expected. but my ethernet was working great and the it just stopped one day??? any ideas on a fixe... I've installed two kext files for realtek EN and nowthing still.

You don't want to install "two kext files for realtek EN" as you definitely don't want to have duplicate kexts for the same device.
If you use the Probook Installer, it installs lnx2mac, which for the 4530s is the proven kext.

Please read this before posting:

5) OS X can ONLY be installed on a disk using GPT, it does NOT support MBR. If you want to install on your current disk you will need to erase it in OS X or purchase a separate disk to install on. Any discussion of methods to circumvent this will be deleted as that is a violation of forum policies of modifying the installer.

That one's actually only partially correct. You can only install on a GUID partition table, but there's a rather easy way to circumvent this WITHOUT modifying the installer.

Just make sure you have your installer media ready, as well as an external HDD or USB flash drive large enough to support Mountain Lion. Also make sure the external HDD/USB drive can be formated to GPT beforehand, else you might need to get a new one for this. You'll also need something like a Linux livecd distro(I'd recommend Ubuntu) that you will need in order to repartition your internal drive.

First things first, load up your livecd, open up GParted and unmount your already mounted drives. Keep in mind that in order for this to work, you will have to resize your first drive so your OSX drive can fit in the first position. At this step, having backed up your files beforehand suddenly seems like a good idea, so I suggest you can go back and do that. Add a 200MB free space partition in the start of the drive, then format the rest of the space you saved for OSX as FAT32.

Open up your installer as you normally would, format your external device as GUID and install Mountain Lion using whatever method works best for your specs. After you've made sure that it works, reboot with the external drive and install media still connected and boot up your ML installation drive. Open up Disk Utility and format your internal HDD's FAT32 partition to HFS+. After that, just restore the partition in which you've installed Mountain Lion from your external to your new internal HFS partition, reboot, install your bootloader(Chameleon worked for me) and it should work fine.

P.S. If any moderator or admin still find this to be a violation of Forum Policy, please remove this post.

Back