Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

I've tried to install Mountain Lion via both the update utility and the Uni-Beast and no such luck as of yet. When i try the apple update from the app store, it downloads, installs [well it says it installs] and then it reboots back into Lion, its as if i never ran the update. When i try to install via the Uni-Beast it installs and when i go to boot from my main drive, it goes back to the boot-loader selection screen and when i select the drive again i think i can faintly read an error message of 'mach-0 file has a bad magic number' at least thats what i think it says. When i clone my back up drive with lion back everything works fine again. I'm as up-to-date as i can be with regards to software and everything on my Lion install works without fail. Any ideas?

I'm getting the same issue with "Mach-0 has a bad magic number" after installation. None of the boot options help.

I can now boot into Mountain Lion... sort of.

1. I boot from the USB drive with the options: PCIRootUID=0 -v -s
2. It then scrolls by that its loading all sorts of files from HFS+
3. Eventually it fails with an error "Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC". At this time I also notice that it was unable to alloc AppleHDAController.

I'm presented with a command prompt at root. It tells me I can mount the filesystem in R/W or I can type "exit" to boot the system. So I type exit and hit enter.

Finally ML boots, but its sluggish. This is probably due to the fact that I'm booting from the USB key.

I installed the latest version of Chimera from Multibeast but it still gives me the "Mach-0 file has bad magic number" error when I try to boot.

i've just tried it again with uni-beast and no luck, hopefully its something nice and simple we're doing that way we can get it all fixed.

I suppose I should post my specs:

Mobo: MSI P55-CD53
CPU: 2.67 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 16GB 1336 MHz DDR3
Graphics: GeForce GT220 1024MB
Storage: 500GB SATA Disk

One thing I noticed that may be related is that when I boot up the BIOS log takes forever "Auto-Detecting SATA5..". As far as I know, nothing has changed in my BIOS settings.

My bios remains unchanged to, also here are my specs if it helps anyone;

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2
CPU: 3.39 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5700 1GB
Storage: 1TB SATA Disk

I'd like to mention that I got the bad magic number error when I tried booting my install using rboot after the bootloader on unibeast wouldn't work. If you still can, have you tried updating chimera on the hard drive to the latest version?

my bootloader is chimera, i've never used rboot, im just trying to get ML to install via xmove, but that appears to be stalling out now too lol

xmove was a no go, it did the same as the uni-beast and chimera is the most up to date version

Success!

I guess the problem for me was that I needed to install my DSDT. It was just very hard to get booted into Mountain Lion so that I could do so.

Steps that worked for me (with the latest version of Chimera):

1. After installation, press any key when Chimera loads and does its countdown thing.
2. Select your USB drive, NOT your new Mountain Lion installation like it says in the instructions, and hit Enter.
3. If it won't boot, try the boot option PCIRootUID=0 and press Enter. You may need to type -v -s if you have bad kexts. If that's the case it should drop you into a terminal where you can type "exit" and hit Enter. Mountain Lion should boot at this point.
5. Run the latest version of Multibeast and install your DSDT (I used EasyBeast with Permission Repair)
6. Reboot

You should no longer get the "Mach-0 file has a bad magic number" error.

In addition, to fix the slow boot "Auto-detecting SATA5.." when booting up, I went into my BIOS and explicitly disabled all SATA ports except for my HD.

Hope this helps!

Success!

I guess the problem for me was that I needed to install my DSDT. It was just very hard to get booted into Mountain Lion so that I could do so.

Steps that worked for me (with the latest version of Chimera):

1. After installation, press any key when Chimera loads and does its countdown thing.
2. Select your USB drive, NOT your new Mountain Lion installation like it says in the instructions, and hit Enter.
3. If it won't boot, try the boot option PCIRootUID=0 and press Enter. You may need to type -v -s if you have bad kexts. If that's the case it should drop you into a terminal where you can type "exit" and hit Enter. Mountain Lion should boot at this point.
5. Run the latest version of Multibeast and install your DSDT (I used EasyBeast with Permission Repair)
6. Reboot

You should no longer get the "Mach-0 file has a bad magic number" error.

In addition, to fix the slow boot "Auto-detecting SATA5.." when booting up, I went into my BIOS and explicitly disabled all SATA ports except for my HD.

Hope this helps!

If you have another mac install around (hackintosh or otherwise), you could also install your DSDT by plugging in the drive into the mac (externally or internally), and setting multibeast to point to the drive when you run it. The big precaution here is to MAKE SURE it's pointed to the external drive if this is on a real mac; installing chimera on one would likely make it unbootable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back