Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion HDMI Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again for the help -- I'll keep trying. Maybe I should ask another question while I'm at it, in case I run into a dead end with this card -- is there a particular video card that you would recommend on which HDMI audio is known to work, and would be less of a wildcard than the GT 210?

f.
How much do you want to spend and what are you using the system for?

I'm actually building this system for my brother, to be used as a desktop PC / media center. HDMI audio is important to him because of the way his TV / stereo is set up. This is built on a GA-Q77M-D2H motherboard which has HD4000 graphics, but I was experiencing some weirdness with the onboard video (having to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable upon restarting) so I used the GT 210 card I had laying around.

I'm willing to spend to spend more money ($100-$200) on the graphics card is that would be the difference between getting HDMI audio working or not, but if HDMI audio will work through the onboard video, I'm thinking I should try to play with it some more and see if I can get that working.

thanks,

f.

I'm actually building this system for my brother, to be used as a desktop PC / media center. HDMI audio is important to him because of the way his TV / stereo is set up. This is built on a GA-Q77M-D2H motherboard which has HD4000 graphics, but I was experiencing some weirdness with the onboard video (having to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable upon restarting) so I used the GT 210 card I had laying around.

I'm willing to spend to spend more money ($100-$200) on the graphics card is that would be the difference between getting HDMI audio working or not, but if HDMI audio will work through the onboard video, I'm thinking I should try to play with it some more and see if I can get that working.
What happened with the GT 210? If the processor supports HD4000, pursue HDMI audio with that. $200 can get a lot of graphics if the case supports two slots and the power supply is more than 450W.

dragadog, the onboard HDMI works great, you need to add a few lines in the Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist file. Add the following and you won't have a problem. I'm using the GA-Q77-D2H and without this upon startup it is garbled and used to unplug and replug, not anymore:

Open, Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist file

Then add this at the bottom:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x64</string>

(I believe you can also add in 32 in place of 64, and you can change it to a 1280x720)
Also, if you don't want a boot option screen and are looking to speed up boot time, change the "Timeout" string from 2 to "-1" (I think "no" may also work)
Lastly I'm almost done with my build then I'll post a guide with files, DSDT, etc to share.

toleda, you're awesome. I finally got back to my build and got the HDMI audio working with the quick use of your guide and kit v4. For some reason I passed over deleting the HDAEnabler888 kext. then changing the layout id was simple.

Now, I have another favor to ask of you: to make my build complete I want to be able to use the SPDIF header on my MB if I need to down the road. Currently that option is not listed in system preferences, or system report. I have the S/PDIF Optical as an option, but not the internal SPDIF header. Depending on what receiver I use, I want to have the option of going coaxial or optical.

Is this possible to get the SPDIF internal header as a selection option with some simple edits?
Also, will it always only show 2 channel in HDMI audio and SPDIF optical even if I have 5.1 content and 5.1 player in MIDI setup?

I have attached my DSDT and IOReg files if it will help you help me.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IOReg hdmi audio success.zip
    422.6 KB · Views: 128
  • dsdt.aml.zip
    14.3 KB · Views: 154
toleda, you're awesome. I finally got back to my build and got the HDMI audio working with the quick use of your guide and kit v4. For some reason I passed over deleting the HDAEnabler888 kext. then changing the layout id was simple.

Now, I have another favor to ask of you: to make my build complete I want to be able to use the SPDIF header on my MB if I need to down the road. Currently that option is not listed in system preferences, or system report. I have the S/PDIF Optical as an option, but not the internal SPDIF header. Depending on what receiver I use, I want to have the option of going coaxial or optical.

Is this possible to get the SPDIF internal header as a selection option with some simple edits?
Also, will it always only show 2 channel in HDMI audio and SPDIF optical even if I have 5.1 content and 5.1 player in MIDI setup?

I have attached my DSDT and IOReg files if it will help you help me.
Thanks in advance!

See 7. Substitute SPDIF-2 Wire Output in Customizing the Optimized Lion AppleHDA.kext
Also review OS X Surround Sound in the same pdf.
Platforms.xml file is compressed the ML AppleHDA.kext, use search to find the zlib terminal inflate and deflate commands.

Thanks for the quick response. Do you know if it would be possible to have BOTH as an option listed? This would be ideal rather than having to "substitute" one for the other.

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick response. Do you know if it would be possible to have BOTH as an option listed? This would be ideal rather than having to "substitute" one for the other.
You can delete either Green (Speakers/Headphones) or Black (Line Out). The maximum audio output devices is 4.

Toleda,

The edits were easy and HDMI audio works flawlessly on my Z77-DS3H. However, doing the edits and using the DSDT breaks video after resume from sleep. The system goes to sleep automatically and manually just fine, but upon wake-up the GPU doesn't wake up, ie screen stays blank. Might be that the system actually crashes.

If I remove the DSDT and reboot, sleep and wake-up is fine again, but of course no HDMI audio.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back