Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion: HD3000/HD4000 with AMD or Nvidia, Working Together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached is a copy of the console message log.
With the 660, GE=No is the only choice.
IORegs with HD3000 only, GTX 650 ti only and any configuration of HD3000/GTX 660 ti that got to the desktop would be more helpful.

jwk asked:
"You don't mention anything about doing any edits to the DSDT.aml; only mention of DSDT is to use one from the tmx86 DSDT vault. Mine is something like a year old... maybe it does not have the correct edits in it?"

Should I assume that the old DSDT would not have anything to do with this?

I can get IOReg for HD3000, and probably for GTX650ti, but I never was able to get to the desktop with both enabled...

thanks for helping, I'll post what I can get asap...

jwk asked:
"You don't mention anything about doing any edits to the DSDT.aml; only mention of DSDT is to use one from the tmx86 DSDT vault. Mine is something like a year old... maybe it does not have the correct edits in it?"

Should I assume that the old DSDT would not have anything to do with this?
I don't know until I see the IORegs. It is likely HD3000 dsdt injection will be required.

I was only able to make IOReg for HD3000. I could not get to the desktop with the GTX650ti in 10.8.2.

Advanced BIOS Features=> Init Display First [PCIEx16], Onboard VGA [Enable If No Ext PEG]

GTX650ti tested with all permutations of GraphicsEnabler=No, GraphicsEnabler=Yes, GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0, GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1, GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=0, GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1. Both DVI and the HDMI were tested this way. All results the same: AppleScreen - No Spinning Wheel- after a pause disk activity observed for a short time (approx 20-30 seconds), then ceases. No further activity observed. Test ends with Apple Screen never changing. Monitor does get video at 1920x1080 default resolution.

Maybe the 10.8.2 kexts don't support the ti version for the GTX650 and I need to install the latest driver from NVidia site?
Maybe F7 BIOS won't work?
Maybe defective card?
Maybe PCIExpress 6-pin Power Connector is faulty?

I will measure voltages on the PCIExpress 6-pin power connector to see if they are correct.

I have a build I was planning to install Ubuntu on, I can pop the GTX650ti in it and install Win7 to see if I can verify the board is in fact working properly.

I have some hard drives coming from Amazon tomorrow or Wednesday, when I get them I will clone this drive and add the latest Nvidia drivers from their website, but this is a 'hail mary' because I believe I have read other threads at tmx86 that used the same card and it was installed with 10.8.2 native drivers before updating to the latest Nvidia drivers.

Attached is IOReg for HD3000 only- I doubt it will provide any meaningful info without an IOReg for GTX650ti, unfortunately there is no way to get one because I can't boot to ML and get a desktop when it's installed and I can't boot to HD3000 only when the GTX650ti is installed, and none of the BIOS settings allow the GTX650ti to be installed but disabled.

Attachments

• IOReg JKs MacMini 3 HD3000 GFX Only.zip
    337 KB · Views: 93
Cloned hard drive and added NVidia Quadro & GeForce Release 304.00.05f02 for OSX 10.8.2 from Nvidia website.

Installed GTX650Ti in H67N-USB3-B3 F7 BIOS.

Set BIOS: Advanced BIOS Features=> Init Display First: Onboard Onboard VGA: Always Enable.

Booted and entered "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" - Same problem, white screen, no mouse cursor, then desktop does not appear.

ReBooted and entered "GraphicsEnabler=No" - Primary monitor HD3000 1920x1200 & Secondary monitor GTX650Ti 1920x1080 both now have desktops. Main monitor is HD3000.
"About This Mac" shows correct information about the graphics adapters and monitors.
I did not enter "PCIRootUID=x" command to get here, don't know if that makes any difference.

This is somewhat different from your guide for the H67N-USB3-B3 in this thread. Regarding your post above that "GE=N" is only choice, I thought you meant that this was just for GTX650Ti only enabled w no HD3000, but maybe you meant it's for all cases. Is GE=N for all Kepler, and GE=Y for all Fermi when combined with HD3000 gfx?

Apparently the ML Nvidia drivers bundled with 10.8.2 do not work with the GTX650Ti, but the latest version 304.00.05f02 from the Nvidia website do.

Attached is IOReg for H67N-USB3-B3 F7 with displays connected to HD3000 (HDMI under the 15-pin Sub-D VGA port, and to the GTX650Ti Mini HDMI port.

Please advise what your thoughts are. Obviously I have only tested 2 ports, it's late, I'll test the rest of the configuration tomorrow after some much needed sleep. The GTX650Ti makes nice video, I wish I could have fit a 660 in there, but now that it's installed, I can say for certain the 650 was the right thing to do because a 660 would have blocked the access to my hard drive SATA & power connectors and necessitated removing and re-installing the 650 (not easy, space-wise) every time I wanted to change a drive and the circuit traces on the 660 would have come very close to a metal grill on the back of the front case fan.

Will try to run some tests and make sure performance numbers meet the expected targets by this weekend.

Need to updated the BIOS & DSDT to F9 and do HDMI edits after that.

Attachments

• IOReg JKs MacMini 3 Nvidia + HD3000.zip
    371.6 KB · Views: 132
This is somewhat different from your guide for the H67N-USB3-B3 in this thread. Regarding your post above that "GE=N" is only choice, I thought you meant that this was just for GTX650Ti only enabled w no HD3000, but maybe you meant it's for all cases. Is GE=N for all Kepler, and GE=Y for all Fermi when combined with HD3000 gfx?
The only change to the settings in Post #1 is GE=N for HD3000 and Nvidia 6xx. I had advised GE=N for Nvidia 6xx and that implies GE=N for HD3000 as well as the already documented GE=N for HD4000 and Nvidia 6xx. Suggestion, move the HDMI cable to the other HDMI connector on the motherboard for HD3000 HDMI audio.

The only change to the settings in Post #1 is GE=N for HD3000 and Nvidia 6xx. I had advised GE=N for Nvidia 6xx and that implies GE=N for HD3000 as well as the already documented GE=N for HD4000 and Nvidia 6xx. Suggestion, move the HDMI cable to the other HDMI connector on the motherboard for HD3000 HDMI audio.

Okay, understood now. Regarding HDMI cable on motherboard, prior to testing GTX650Ti I had a HDTV connected to HDMI mobo connector under dual USB 2 ports and the HDMI under the VGA Sub-D connector was connected to a flat screen monitor that has no audio. HDMI audio worked from mobo HDMI under dual USB2 ports in that case. For testing, I moved the HDTV cable to GTX650Ti as that is the next point I wish to confirm working audio. Thank you for all of your help and advice, it's much appreciated!

If you have a chance to look at my IOReg file and see anything you don't think is correct, please let me know.
Cheers!

Ok, so I think I've got an interesting one here...

I have three 27" Apple Cinema Display (DP, not TB versions). I would like to use two of them via the two TB ports and the onboard video (HD3000) of my i7-2600k in my GA-Z77x-UP5 TH motherboard. The third monitor is connected to one of my two GTX 670 cards. The reasons for wanting the config this way is a long story, I can get all three monitors to work across the two GTX 670's via DP and a DVI --> mDP adapter.

But I cannot get the HD3000 to work right at all. If I can get to a desktop at all it will be 1024x768 with no kext loaded. If I take out both NVidia cards and try onboard only with GE=Y then get garbled video. I tried creating a DSDT with what I thought would be a correct HD3000 patch and it is the same as using GE=Y with garbled video.

If I use the DSDT with the NVidia cards along with the instructions for post #1 the NVidia monitor will get to the desktop, the other two are still garbled but I can see that the DSDT *seems* to be right as it shows the kext loading but no monitors connected. The device ID for my HD3000 is 0x0122.

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

-Shrapnl

If I use the DSDT with the NVidia cards along with the instructions for post #1 the NVidia monitor will get to the desktop, the other two are still garbled but I can see that the DSDT *seems* to be right as it shows the kext loading but no monitors connected. The device ID for my HD3000 is 0x0122.
Your discussion is interesting; attaching a dsdt and IOReg is significantly more helpful. The facts, HD3000 primary, GE=No, HD3000 dsdt injection (if you want device_id 0122, kext edits are required)

Suggest:
Set BIOS and Boot.plist, Post #1
Add HD3000 dsdt injection, 1 or 2:
1. Easy way, see Mountain Lion HDMI Audio - AMI DSDT, use HD3000_AMI_EFI_hdmi_audio_dsdt_editing_kit and HD3000 graphics on 7 Series (if not present).
2. manual dsdt edit (add Method (_DSM... as shown)
Code:
            Device (GFX0)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x06)
                        {
                           "device-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x26, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 

"AAPL,snb-platform-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x10, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00
                            }, 

"hda-gfx", 
                            Buffer (0x0A)
                            {
                                "onboard-1"
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
Compile, install and restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back