Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion GUIDE - 2012 Sony VAIO S Series (SVS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
VAIO S 2012 15.5-inch
CPU
i5-3210M
Graphics
HD4000 + Geforce640M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[GUIDE] OSX 10.8 - 2012 Sony VAIO S Series (SVS)

OS X 10.8 mini-GUIDE - 2012 Sony VAIO S Series (SVS)

This guide only addresses the extra steps needed to get Mountain Lion working for the 2012 VAIO S Series
Follow UniBeast, MultiBeast, guide for basic tutorial.

---updates---

Dec 2, 2012: Apparently someone got Mountain Lion working on a VAIO S 2012.
Source: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283613-sony-vaio-s-2012-ml-success-ivy-i5-hd-4000/

Aug 6, 2012:added SMbios "macbook pro 9,1/9,2"
requested bios mod for BIOS advanced menu unlock. (link is here)

Need to fix/Stuck On:

Need un-locked/advanced BIOS for 2012 VAIO SVS Series. (stuck on "waiting for root device" error)

progress/instructions:

Attached DSDT.aml will allow built-in-LCD support. (Thanks cyberwalrus for adding the EDID info to it)
Also attached is the Ivy Bridge SMbios. (Use SMBios "macbook pro 9,1")

Right now, becuase of (possible) AHCI issue, UniBeast USB will not boot on the VAIO. So Install Lion/MLion on another computer, and transfer the harddrive over to the VAIO. Mountain Lion will only boot with -x.

Will not boot off Unibeast created Mountain Lion USB. not even in safe mode (-x).

It will boot off a Mountain Lion partition installed under another PC, using safe mode (-x) only.

Completed:
SMbios 9,1 & 9,2 uploaded.

In Progress:
Need New un-locked/advanced BIOS (link)

Attachments

• dsdt_VAIO_with_EDID.zip
    24.8 KB · Views: 643
  • SMbios.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 631
Here are some extra tips that I've used to help me test OS X.

Buy/Use a separate harddrive if you plan on dualbooting windows and OSX. OSX uses hybrid (MBR/GPT) paritions. I've accidently damaged my windows partition as a result. (Windows modify the MBR and does not update GPT. OSX reads the outdated GPT and corrupted my NTFS volume).

When Testing OSX, install OSX to multiple partitions. One is a minimal (boot) partition. The other partitions you can test kexts and other settings, and if it messes up, you can just boot into the first partition to fix things instead of reinstalling from scratch. (Also take advantage of OS X Disk Utility's create/restore image)

Bluetooth PAN on OS X

On a laptop with OS X, usually you can either have bluetooth or wifi (but not both at the same time due to OSX not having drivers for Intel's Centrino Advanced Wifi cards). If you need bluetooth, you can make do without Wifi in OSX by using bluetooth PAN tethering. You will need Android ICS or JB for this, perhaps the stock Google version of ICS/JB. On your Android phone, you can connect to your home or any WiFi, and create a BT PAN to share your home WiFi, so you will not be using mobile data if Wifi is available.

Set Default Partition when using Chameleon as bootloader
=hd(x,y) where 'x' is the disk number, 'y' the partition number.
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(x,y)</string>

Related Helpful Links for basic info:
UniBeast Lion Guide
iBoot Guide (for Snow Leopard if you don't have access to a mac/hackintosh, does not work for Ivy Bridge)
Mountain Lion Guide for 2012 Sony VAIO S Series (SVS)
Mountain Lion Guide for 2011 Sony CAIO S Series (VPC-SA/SB/SE)
Lion Guide on 2011 Sony VAIO S Series (VPC-SA/SB/SE)
boot0/boot1h error (Google it)

Mountain Lion 10.8 Progress cannot continue unless BIOS is modded to allow change to certain settings.

I don't know how to mod the BIOS, but I've added a request here (link).

Follow up on that link to request support for getting a BIOS mod.
(A BIOS mod has already been successfully done on the 2011 VAIO S, we now need a BIOS mod for the 2012 S Series)

I also have a Sony Vaio S series 2012
I am very interested by this topic!

By the way I have also an "old" macbook 3,1 with Lion.

Hi there,
So here is where i am.
I have install ML on my hard drive with a macbook air and my hard drive on USB drive
Then I put back my hard drive in my laptop and i have install Windows 7 Pro X64
then i have install Ubuntu 12.04 x64

I have Grub 2 in EFI mode which have detected Ubuntu of course, Windows 7 and Mac Os X.

So i just stuck now with what i have to do to boot os X with -x -v flags at least

Here is how is my hard drive

EFI | Macintosh HD | Microsoft Reserved | Windows 7 | Ubuntu

There is no Swap because i have 12 Go of ram ..

I have install ML on my hard drive with a macbook air and my hard drive on USB drive
Then I put back my hard drive in my laptop and i have install Windows 7 Pro X64
then i have install Ubuntu 12.04 x64

I have Grub 2 in EFI mode which have detected Ubuntu of course, Windows 7 and Mac Os X.

So i just stuck now with what i have to do to boot os X with -x -v flags at least

Here is how is my hard drive

EFI | Macintosh HD | Microsoft Reserved | Windows 7 | Ubuntu.

You need to follow the TonyMacx86 Guides to install the bootloaders for OSX for Windows PCs to be able to boot into OSX.

Since you already have OSX installed to the HD, you need to install Chimera/Chameleon to your OSX partition. Put your HD back into your mac, then use MultiBeast to install Chameleon to your OSX partition, then you should be able to boot to OSX using with an Intel PC.

When booting via Chimera/Chameleon, it will let you enter the -v -x flags to boot into OSX.

does the 640m works out of the box? or you're using hd 4000?

Well i have install Chameleon but the laptop doesn't start.. i have configure SMBIOS.plist and DSDT.aml but it is stopping on AppleHDAHardwareDriverConfigDriver.plist...

Any answer about my problem with S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/info.plist

About the dsdt that you upload why is it DSL and not AML?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back