Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion graphics kexts for Snow Leopard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Mac Pro 5,1, presently running High Sierra and, occasionally, Snow Leopard. Since Mojave will require Metal, I've recently upgraded my GPU to an AMD Radeon HD 7970, which works great in High Sierra. Sadly, it has no acceleration in Snow Leopard. Is it possible to "upgrade" Snow Leopard graphics kexts to something like Mountain Lion graphics kexts so that Snow Leopard will "see" the capabilities of the new GPU? If it isn't, is there an alternative solution that might work?

You will not be able to run Snow Leopard and get full acceleration with a metal 2.0 supported card for Mojave as there is too big a difference in the supported tech and drivers.

If you need graphics acceleration in Snow Leopard then it might be worth considering purchasing an older mac that will run Snow Leopard or try to build a Customac using used parts - the motherboard will be the hardest part to source but there is some fun and enjoyment to be had with building such a machine.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...versions-of-os-x-using-older-chipsets.141225/

Look for older motherboards and CPUs on AliExpress and eBay. Matching motherboard system RAM is often available via eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back