Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion and Dell Inspiron N7110 - Installing and boot problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Inspiron N7110
CPU
Intel Core i3 2330M Sandy Bridge Rev. D2
Graphics
nVidia GeForce GT 525M DDR3 1GB
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So… after months of searching, researching, installing and erasing, I still not have a stable version of Mountain Lion, Lion or even Snow Leopard for my Dell Inspiron N7110.

My system specification (see the attached pictures):
- CPU: Intel Core i3 2330M Sandy Bridge Rev. D2
- Motherboard: HM67 Rev. B3
- Graphic card: nVidia GeForce GT 525M DDR3 1GB
- RAM: 4 GB 1333Mhz DDR3
- BIOS: A11

1. On my Mac Mini (OS X 10.7.4):
- I've made a Bootable USB drive for Montain Lion, using UniBeast v1.5.3 (for Mountain Lion) as in this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

2. On my Dell:
- I've tried to boot by pressing F12.
Result: cannot reach the installer.
- I've changed the boot sequence priority, by pressing F2.
- The only way to boot was by typing extra boot arguments, as follows:
a). PCIRootUID=1 -x
- Two errors occurred.
a). dcbtable_version is 0x10
b). nVidia ROM Patching Failed
- It's OK, because now I can reach the installer, but I cannot use trackpad and keyboard.

3. Back to my Mac:
- I've plugged in the Bootable USB.
- I've opened Terminal, and I've wrote (to see hidden files):
a). defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true (press return)
b). killall Finder (press return)
- I copied those three files attached here, to: USB > Extra > Extensions
- In Terminal, I've wrote (to hide back the files):
a). defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false (press return)
b). killall Finder (press return)

4. Back again on my Dell:
- Boot by typing extra arguments PCIRootUID=1 -x, the two errors mentioned above, occurred again, but now I can reach the installer and I can use the trackpad and keyboard.
- In Disk Utility, I set up two partition, by choosing GUID Partition Table and Mac OS Extended Journaled, for both of them, and then I quit the DU.
a). Macintosh HD (150 GB)
b). Data (350 GB)
- Choose Macintosh HD, clicked Install.
- Installation completed successfully.
- Restart and boot from HD by typing PCIRootUID=1 -x (is the only way I can boot) and keeping the Bootable USB plugged.
- After setting up the system, I can see the Desktop (see the attached pictures).
- To run MultiBeast v5.0.2 (for Mountain Lion) I need to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Allow application downloaded from > and set to Anywhere.

This was the easy part, because now, every time I run MultiBeast v5.0.2 (for Mountain Lion) with the DSDT downloaded from the database (tried only the attached files: H67M-D2-B3-1.0-F4.aml, H67M-D2-B3-1.0-F7.aml, H67M-D2-B3-1.1-F4.aml, H67M-D2-B3-1.1-F7.aml), the system gives me kernel panic.

Slightly different story for Lion and Snow Leopard, but the same result: no bootable system and kernel panic.

Question: What is wrong and how can I boot with my Dell, on Mountain Lion?. Any suggestion... much appreciated.

Attachments

• dell_01.jpg
    dell_01.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 668
  • dell_03.jpg
    dell_03.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 484
  • dell_06.jpg
    dell_06.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 544
  • AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.zip
    18.9 KB · Views: 199
  • ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip
    115.5 KB · Views: 174
  • PXHCD.kext.zip
    199.2 KB · Views: 186
  • ml_01.jpg
    ml_01.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 1,027
  • ml_02.jpg
    ml_02.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 642
  • DSDT-GA-H67M-D2-B3-1.0-F4.aml
    16 KB · Views: 244
  • DSDT-GA-H67M-D2-B3-1.0-F7.aml
    17 KB · Views: 246
  • DSDT-GA-H67M-D2-B3-1.1-F4.aml
    16 KB · Views: 239
  • DSDT-GA-H67M-D2-B3-1.1-F7.aml
    17 KB · Views: 224
Try to install without DSDT. and manually all drivers that you have not. Try to install the specific kext for your graphic card before all. and try to boot with GraphicsEnabler=NO to reach desktop in normal mode =)

Thanks. Still no success. The only way to boot is by typing PCIRootUID=1 -x, and keeping the USB stick connected to his port (no matter if it is USB 2 or USB 3).

have u got it working if not i think i might be able to help you :)

No, I did not! But any suggestion... much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Cosma - I tried to send you a PM but apparently I need 50 posts here to do something simple like that.

Anyway, I posted a triple-boot guide for the Dell Inspiron N7110 on osx 86 (dot) net in the forums. The site is kinda broke at the moment (searching and whatnot) but it is there. Do a search on google for "dell inspiron hackintosh triple boot 17r n7110" and the link will show up. External links are not working well for that site so you might have to dig in the forums manually.

There are some boot qwerks for the N7110 and I think I addressed them in my guide. I use this laptop heavily and is working great, with a few minor issues.

Hi Cosma - I tried to send you a PM but apparently I need 50 posts here to do something simple like that.

Anyway, I posted a triple-boot guide for the Dell Inspiron N7110 on osx 86 (dot) net in the forums. The site is kinda broke at the moment (searching and whatnot) but it is there. Do a search on google for "dell inspiron hackintosh triple boot 17r n7110" and the link will show up. External links are not working well for that site so you might have to dig in the forums manually.

There are some boot qwerks for the N7110 and I think I addressed them in my guide. I use this laptop heavily and is working great, with a few minor issues.

I sure wish I could find this guide, I can't get anything working on this Dell N7110.

I sure wish I could find this guide, I can't get anything working on this Dell N7110.
Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Although you should read the FAQ for an overview of issues, the Clover guide is linked from the first question: "Q. Where do I start?", just after the bold face "Clover Guide".
Here is a direct link, just to be clear:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Also, your profile must be filled out with complete details as requested in the FAQ, again under "Q. Where do I start?". All seven details requested are equally important.

And if you have an issue (after following the guide), or on any other problem, you must provide a detailed description of the problem including information that helps us understand what you're doing. Always attach "Problem Reporting" files as per FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html
The required files and data are fully detailed in the last question in the FAQ:
"Q. What are typical "Problem Reporting" files?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back