Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion 6XXX GPU Issues - FIX INSIDE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Costomac
CPU
Intel i7 2600k
Graphics
GIGABYTE GV-R687OC-1GD Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Since many of you have issues getting your AMD Radeon HD 6000 series card to work in Mountain Lion (when it worked great in Lion), I decided to make this guide.

Credits: Haysphere

Part 1: Setting up the UniBeast Drive
1. Insert your UniBeast Flash Drive into a working Mac. Maybe your MacBook Pro, working Lion installation, etc.
2. Run this command in terminal to unhide files "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1" (copy and paste that into terminal and hit enter)
3. Force Finder to quit. You can do this in activity monitor. It will automatically restart.
4. Open Finder and navigate to your UniBeast Drive
5. Navigate to System/Library/Extensions
6. MAKE A BACKUP OF the kext "ATI6000Controller.kext" and then DELETE it.

Part 2: Booting from your UniBeast Drive
1. Boot from your UniBeast drive like you usually would. Use the command "GraphicsEnabler=No" in order to boot into Mountain Lion Installer
2. Install Mountain Lion as you usually would
3. After installation, bootup Mountain Lion by booting into your flash drive and then booting into ML, using the command "GraphicsEnabler=No"
4. Copy the ATI6000Controller.kext kext to your new desktop
5. Run KextBeast (Download: http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3)
6. Reboot

Now your graphics should work. I have two monitors (Apple Cinema Display and another 25" 1080p monitor) running with full graphics acceleration Very fast and no lag!

For those wondering, I fixed my machine in my sig by replacing the parts with the exact same things. Not everything blew. I now run a surge protector on my phone line and computer.

You're welcome!

Going from Lion to Mountain Lion this seems to work but If I try to do a New install of Mountain Lion with unibeast I have problems replacing the Kext file. The Kext file is on my desktop with kextbeast and says install is a success but it will not work and the ATI6000Controller.kext file is greyed out in system/library/extensions

Obvious Answer Man

Super Moderator
Guys, tell me one thing... Im just curious!

Is this problem that we all have (with ATI 6XXX) connected to early release of UniBeast? Is this problem going to be fixed in future releases of UniBeast, or it will remain as it is...?

No, it's not a UniBeast problem. While I can't blame you for reading all the posts in this thread, some re-search on your part would have shown that the kext in question was radically changed by Apple from the Lion version of the kext.

And, all bad things will get corrected with time.

Motherboard
HP Elite x2 1012 G1
CPU
Intel Core M5-6Y54, 1.1GHz
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 515
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have the Gigabyte 6670 video card. Tried the steps in the first post, but got spinning wheel when trying to boot with kext from mountain lion installed to my hard drive after a successful ML install (steps 4-6 of part 2). I deleted that one and reinstalled the original ATI6000controller kext and all is working as before. I was able to get back in by using the GraphicsEnabler=No flag. Hope that helps others

Motherboard
Custom Gaming Rig
CPU
i3-2120
Graphics
Sapphire HD6850
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
up and running first shot!

Well I have to say with these instructions it made my ML install super quick, i have a i3-2120, GA-H77-DS3H mobo, and Sapphire 6850. Multibeast i used Easybeast instead of user dsdt, ALC887 kexts, and Majols network kexts, and i downloaded the sleep enabler kext and installed with kextbeast. everything is working great with 2 monitors. My Lion install took me alot more time.

Motherboard
mac book pro
CPU
intel i5
Graphics
onboard intel
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Going from Lion to Mountain Lion this seems to work but If I try to do a New install of Mountain Lion with unibeast I have problems replacing the Kext file. The Kext file is on my desktop with kextbeast and says install is a success but it will not work and the ATI6000Controller.kext file is greyed out in system/library/extensions
i have this same issue. its an brand new ML install. so i cant get in without using the "GraphicsEnabler=no" at boot?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
CPU
Intel i5 2500K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 650Ti Boost
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Correct, if you are using your 6870 to install ML, you need to use GraphicEnabler=No. Another work around is to pull the card and install ML using the onboard video or use another video card.

Motherboard
Asus Rampage Formula 3 (Mountain Lion)
CPU
Intel core i7 965x Extrem Edition
Graphics
AMD Radeon 6870 (x3)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Not for nothing but .... I installed MT with both of my xfx 6870hd cards

in at the same time and it worked w 1.5.2 ... and I can confirm that it installed successfully ... I dont have the luxury of being on an economy mother board w on board video ... Only thing I did was unplug the Crossfire cable other then that it was a clean install and I must say that my extreme edition processor is flying w this set up !!! im over clocked to 4.22ghz in the BIOS !!! ... I think most ppl having issues seem to be on Gigbyte MB .. Anyone useing an ASUS Rampage Formula lll should be good ...Anyway best of luck to you ....heres a quick screen shot of my set up

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-03 at 2.10.08 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-08-03 at 2.10.08 AM.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 412
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO
CPU
Intel Core i5
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics
I have the Gigabyte 6670 video card. Tried the steps in the first post, but got spinning wheel when trying to boot with kext from mountain lion installed to my hard drive after a successful ML install (steps 4-6 of part 2). I deleted that one and reinstalled the original ATI6000controller kext and all is working as before. I was able to get back in by using the GraphicsEnabler=No flag. Hope that helps others

Try PCIRootUID=0 boot flag!

Motherboard
HP Elite x2 1012 G1
CPU
Intel Core M5-6Y54, 1.1GHz
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 515
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Try PCIRootUID=0 boot flag!

I tried that during the initial install attempt. Didn't work. Then followed steps in this post. Worked as described in my first reply. Only thing I had to do different was use the original kext vice the one I deleted from the UniBeast install USB.

Motherboard
Z370N-WiFi
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thank you dear topic starter for the great solution =)

But after my ATI 6870 card did not work property (low resolution and screen freezes).
The solution is:
- just add the following strings to the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file:
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Duckweed</string>

Status
Not open for further replies.