Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on ASUS G74sx from start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus G74sx
CPU
Intel Core i7 2630QM
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 560 3GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Install Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on ASUS G74sx from start to finish.

This thread couldn't be possible if it weren't for this thread and its maker. http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...t-guide-install-mountain-lion-asus-g74sx.html

1- First, you need at least an 8 Gb USB, and a working Mac. You need Unibeast (it's a program to creat a bootable Mountain Lion USB) http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

2- Now boot from the USB on G74sx, after you see the ASUS logo press ESC multiple times and select the USB to boot from. You will get to the Chimera boot menu, select the USB to boot from, but don't press (Enter) yet type PCIRootUID=0 , then press Enter. After the installation is finished, boot again from the USB but this time choose to boot from the HDD where you installed Mountain Lion with PCIRootUID=0.

3- Now you are in OS X 10.8 with no working drivers, I've attached some files, download them all from another working machine, and put everything in a USB. Copy the "Extra" folder as it is in the main HD (Go, My Computer) then go inside the Partition where you installed Mountain Lion.

****Now this is very Important, the SSDT.aml file inside Extra folder is for 2630QM 2.0 GHz, if you have another processor model copy yours and replace the inside SSDT.aml, you can find your model here http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-4530s/56622-ssdts-all-i3-i5-i7-please-test-give-feedback.html ****

4- Install Chimera 1.11.1 (you may enable installing from other locations other than App Store, do this from System Preferences/Security and Privacy/General). Open Kext Wizard, in the Installation tab, drag all the files inside Kexts folder and drop it there and install. Switch to Maintenance tab and select System/Library/Extensions , Repair Permissions, Rebuild Cache and press Execute. This will take about 5 mins, then reboot.

5- Now boot from the HD of the ML installation directly, no need for the Unibeast USB again. After that you should have a fully functional Mountain Lion 10.8, now use your wireless and connect to Software Update to get the 10.8.2, update and restart. After booting you will notice that you lost all your drivers, it's ok, Do step 4 again and reboot.

6- Now you need Nvidia drivers, download and install from here http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html, mount NVIDIA DRIVERS.dmg, right click over 304.00.05f02 Web Release and choose Show Package contents, open contents, packages and run webDriverPayload_jLhsf.pkg, and when finished reboot.

Credits goes to Baoren and RehabMan from tonymacx86.com and Odin79 from osx86.net.

Update 2/6/2013 : Use the new DSDT uploaded, because it's patched -By Baoren in this thread, post #25, from a patch created by RehabMan- with a working backlight keyboard (use is with ctrl + alt+ "numlock +,-").
Delete AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext, and use the new uploaded one -This is RehabMan's kext- VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

Attachments

• Installation.zip
    12.6 MB · Views: 1,754
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,229
  • DSDT 2_6_2013 UPDATE.zip
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,396
I have 12 Gb of ram and here's what about my mac shows :
And you are more than welcome.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 9.32.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 9.32.50 PM.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,175
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 9.36.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 9.36.04 PM.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 959
Thank you so much OmarMohi. I have ML running on my G74SX! I have the same cpu as you so i only had to install your kext installation files. The only things i've noticed is that the info is showing that i have 3gb of video memory but i have the 2gb version - do i need to install a specific kext file for my 2gb version of the 560M? and do you know where i might get it? Also i noticed my wifi sees my wireless network but ends up getting an exclaimation mark when trying to connect to it, even with the correct wireless key. I also get a bluetooth keyboard thing running when ML loads. Lastly i wondered if it was possible to get the keyboard backlight working?

Other than the few things above this is working great! I'm writing this on it now via a lan cable - Thanks again for the help! :D

you should edit the dsdt in graphic card vram sections. there you should change the value to show correctly 2048. I had to do the opposite: the dsdt I found were all for 2048gb vram, and I edited it to see the right ram value. You should find easily maybe the dsdt inside g74sx.zip file I linked in my old post is ok for you: just the one in there, the updated version in the other file was already corrected. you can find it here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...t-guide-install-mountain-lion-asus-g74sx.html

hope will work for you

To get Wifi to work, you must have a router/access point signal is set to b or b/g mixed, wireless N doesn't work with it, and i don't know why ! :( maybe the 2.4 GHz doesn't work with it, it only detects 5 GHz or vice versa.

The backlight sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't :D i don't have an explanation for this, i'll try to figure it out and tell you when it runs.

Again, don't thank me, thank Baoren :D.

Great stuff. I think just about everything works fine now. The only things left i can think of is i occasionally hear a quiet popping sound from my right speaker and sometimes when browsing youtube i have to refresh the page to get sound back. It'd be really great to get the keyboard backlight working but i'm amazed at how fast this is. A big thank you to both of you - so massively appreciated :D

You probably can get the keyboard backlight working. It is likely all Asus laptops work the same (DSDT methods)...

See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...asus-g73jh-keyboard-backlighting-working.html

RehabMan, You are just AMAZING !!

I've a question though, is the bluetooth drivers related to kexts methods ?, if so, i'll do some researches and get it to work from its driver from Ubuntu's, thanks anyways :)

When i said get it to work, i meant to have a better bluetooth with ability to turn off and on, and use some gestures on my Magic Trackpad, since the laptop detects only two fingers, if i touch it with more than two it stops and i have to turn off the trackpad and on again to get it to work.

RehabMan, You are just AMAZING !!

I've a question though, is the bluetooth drivers related to kexts methods ?, if so, i'll do some researches and get it to work from its driver from Ubuntu's, thanks anyways :)

When i said get it to work, i meant to have a better bluetooth with ability to turn off and on, and use some gestures on my Magic Trackpad, since the laptop detects only two fingers, if i touch it with more than two it stops and i have to turn off the trackpad and on again to get it to work.

I don't use bluetooth, but even on the Probook it doesn't work very well. Most serious BT users use a third-party USB dongle. One person has transplanted a BT module from an old MacBook into his Probook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back