Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[FONT=&amp]Dear Tonymacx86 &[/FONT] Dear Members

[FONT=&amp]I am in the process of completing my parts list and I already have the parts listed below. I am by no means a pro on this, but I have successfully built a few PC’s down the road…[/FONT] so I'm hopeful enough to give it a go.
[FONT=&amp]It is obvious that the motherboard still is missing in the list as I would need some advice from the Pro’s here.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]This rig is will be built for music only, running Logic Pro X & ProTools HD among other things. As I already have the old HD/Accel cards (pci-x) and I would like to stick with them for cost reasons. I also have a Magma Chassis on the shelf that was intended for mobile use with a MacBook Pro, but never came that far. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]My question is; which is the best route to go - try to find a motherboard that can hold the HD cards(3) or go with the Magma even if it’s an outboard setup, and which is the best motherboard for each solution?[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]What would be the pros and cons of the two setups, as I am looking to get a very fast system ?[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Fractal Design R2 XL case[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Seasonic X-650 [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Corsair Vengeance 4 x 8GB 1866MHZ (32 GB) [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Intel I7 3770 [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Noctua [/FONT][FONT=&amp]cooler NH-U9B SE[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS SC[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1 x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (OSX)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1 x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Windows 7 Ultimate)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]3 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Samsung & Sony DVD

Very thankful for any advice since I'm new in this world...
[/FONT]

From first hand experience I would advise you be VERY careful with your selection of components here.

If you want to use PCIx HD cards directly in the mobo you need to make sure the mobo you choose has a chipset with native PCI support, Almost all current monos don't! This means you will be forced to find a mobo an CPU that are several generations old. In the past I used a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 and i7 860 with a PCIx HD2 system. It worked really well btw.

The other option you suggest is what I now use, a Magma PCIx to PCIe chassis with a HD4 system installed connected to a GA-77X-UD5-TH w/ i7 3770k. It's smoking fast and has power than I need. Care must be taken with Magma a chassis, make sure it's qualified by Avid to work with HD cards. If it's not it probably won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back