gigabyte ga-x79-up4
msi twin frozr 660
OSX 10.9.2 -> used for everything else

PC2
intel 2600K
asus p8z68-v pro
evga 780 classified
windows 8.1 -> just games

i would like to swap the 2 where my PC1 will be my gaming machine using the evga 780 and PC2 be the hackintosh using the msi 660. i've browsed the site and it looks like it's more of a pain to get asus motherboards going than gigabyte. so my question would be, what motherboard should i get for the 2600K that will give me the least amount of compatibility issues just like the x79-up4 with my 3930K? also, i would like to run yosemite when it becomes available, it may be too early to worry about that right now.

i saw stork's zorro build (http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/32343-storks-zorro-build-z68x-ud3h-i7-2600k-hd3000.html) is the GA-Z68X-UD3H running well with mavericks? are there other boards to consider? to give more detail on tasks i would do on osx, it would be things like web development, use a few VMs with virtualbox, some imovie editing, capture videos using canopus advc110 or elgato usb capture, use handbrake for transcoding, stuff like that. i don't mind using 2600K. it's more than enough for what i need. just need a replacement motherboard for my asus. any ideas?

here's my setup at the moment
PC1
intel 3930K
gigabyte ga-x79-up4
msi twin frozr 660
OSX 10.9.2 -> used for everything else

PC2
intel 2600K
asus p8z68-v pro
evga 780 classified
windows 8.1 -> just games

i would like to swap the 2 where my PC1 will be my gaming machine using the evga 780 and PC2 be the hackintosh using the msi 660. i've browsed the site and it looks like it's more of a pain to get asus motherboards going than gigabyte. so my question would be, what motherboard should i get for the 2600K that will give me the least amount of compatibility issues just like the x79-up4 with my 3930K? also, i would like to run yosemite when it becomes available, it may be too early to worry about that right now.

i saw stork's zorro build (http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/32343-storks-zorro-build-z68x-ud3h-i7-2600k-hd3000.html) is the GA-Z68X-UD3H running well with mavericks? are there other boards to consider? to give more detail on tasks i would do on osx, it would be things like web development, use a few VMs with virtualbox, some imovie editing, capture videos using canopus advc110 or elgato usb capture, use handbrake for transcoding, stuff like that. i don't mind using 2600K. it's more than enough for what i need. just need a replacement motherboard for my asus. any ideas?

There is a DSDT for the P8Z68-V Pro BIOS version 1101 in the forum Database and a search using key words Success P8Z68-v Pro turns up what looks to be several builds.
For Asus Z68 boards you need to patch the BIOS, the kernel or AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext due to locked CPU MSR..

thanks, so i have to downgrade my bios to 1101? coz i'm currently at 3203. i'll have a look at that. i have tried with the current version and ran into kernel panics. couldn't figure out for days, so i gave up and thought to get a gigabyte replacement. i still may replace it with GA-Z68X-UD3H if i can find a good price for a used one. seems many have had great success with it.

thanks, so i have to downgrade my bios to 1101? coz i'm currently at 3203. i'll have a look at that. i have tried with the current version and ran into kernel panics. couldn't figure out for days, so i gave up and thought to get a gigabyte replacement. i still may replace it with GA-Z68X-UD3H if i can find a good price for a used one. seems many have had great success with it.

Not necessarily downgrade BIOS. Just extract new DSDT from BIOS and use MacIASL to patch it with the patches supplied by jPalm. See the Installation->DSDT forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back