Contribute
Register

Motherboard Coil Whine !!!! For the love of God, help me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 5 working hacks and have never experienced this. My hearing is good too. Have you tried the solution with the mouse DPI settings as mentioned in this thread ?
I'm using the Magic Trackpad most of the time and the sound doesn't happen. The sound still happens network downloads...

First part of the recording is when using the mouse, the second part is when doing a speedtest.

Hi guys,

I got exactly the same problem. No whine in Windows 10, in Mojave it starts after a couple of minutes while mouse moves.

Did it solve someone?

I have tried some of the things that was suggested in this thread, nothing worked :(

- adjusting CPU frequency down and playing around with the core voltage.(this did change the volume/pitch of sound, but did not get rid of it)
- adjusting mouse DPI and refresh rate (no change)
- removed my GPU and used intel HD instead (no change)
- changing mac profile from IMAC 18.3 and to various MAC pro configs (no change)

I'm slowly becoming more desperate, and might try to order a better PSU which i have seen suggested on other sites... Right now i'm running a Corsair CX750M which is supposedly not the best PSU out there regarding coil whine.

For me it is always audible, and increases in pitch/volume whenever i start a program/move the mouse etc.. So it must be some kind of throttling thing, otherwise i would expect a more constant sound.

Also important to mention is that i'm running the system in an old MAC Pro cheesgrader case so there is plenty of room for the sound to get out of the case and absolutely no dampening.

Thank you to everyone contributing to this thread, i hope we will all find out what is wrong with out specific system. :) Keep hacking ya'all

UPDATE on my situation (and maybe a tip):

I took the PSU out of the case so that i could put my head between the case and the PSU and hear where the sound came from.

It was the PSU all along! So i switched my Corsair CX750M to a 550W BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro. And what a difference, no weird sounds on throttling or anything! This is the upgrade that i needed to not go back to a real mac again. Such a bliss to have a quiet machine. I know this thread is about Motherboard coil whine, i'm just providing you with my experience :) Good luck with yours!

I also have Corsair PSU and yes it does have noise but it's different than motherboard. It comes from motherboard's VRMs and can be reduced by disabling energy saving features. It's totally silent while benchmarking or under load. I noticed that I don't hear it when I use onboard audio but as soon as I enable usb sound card it starts whining while playing something, or simply downloading. I don't know if new sound card will solve or it'll be same...

I'm slowly becoming more desperate, and might try to order a better PSU which i have seen suggested on other sites... Right now i'm running a Corsair CX750M which is supposedly not the best PSU out there regarding coil whine.

And I think also silent with USB DAC with builtin battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back