Contribute
Register

Motherboard and RAM with Best Chance for Future Skylake Compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 LGA1151
CPU
Intel i7-6700K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW GAMING
Hey guys,

My MacBook is on its way out and I've been looking into building a Hackintosh for video editing. I know Skylake testing is still ongoing, but since all the programs/apps I use are multiplatform and I have a deal to get the 6700K for less than a 4790K it doesn't make a ton of sense to go for the Haswell option.

I plan on running Win10 on the hardware until there is full Skylake compatibility, as OSX is my platform of choice.

I was looking at the Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 5 as it seems to be the Z170 version of the Gigabyte board recommended on the Buyer's Guide, and a set of standard Crucial DDR4 32GB memory because I've seen people have had success with that in X99 builds.

I know it's all speculation at this point, but what hardware do you guys think would stand the best chance of being hackintosh compatible in the future? Thanks in advance!

Links:
GIGABYTE BOARD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128844&cm_re=gigabyte_z170-_-13-128-844-_-Product
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148861&cm_re=32gb_ddr4-_-20-148-861-_-Product

It's very likely that all z170 will be supported eventually, however it is also likely that full support won't arrive until 2016 Q1. Also please note for the Gigabyte board you are looking at, you will have to tick 'kernelPM patch' on Clover for it to boot due to the new gen gigabyte mobos having a locked sector which OS X attempts to write to and reboots over.

It's very likely that all z170 will be supported eventually, however it is also likely that full support won't arrive until 2016 Q1. Also please note for the Gigabyte board you are looking at, you will have to tick 'kernelPM patch' on Clover for it to boot due to the new gen gigabyte mobos having a locked sector which OS X attempts to write to and reboots over.

Hey Dave, thanks for replying. I don't have a problem waiting, I'd just like my hardware to be Hackintosh compatible at some point. Q1 2016 isn't that far away, I can stick it out with Windows :)

I did see something about that for the GIGABYTE mobo, but also that some people thought it wasn't that big of an issue. Are the implications of having this locked sector a big enough deal that I should be looking an another mobo? And the Crucial RAM is fine?

Nah, it's not a big issue. I just wanted to make sure you knew :).

No one can say with certainty, but i wouldn't worry about the ram being compatible. It's unbuffered, non-ecc, it's pretty standard. The chances of it being incompatible are lower than the chances of z170 never being compatible imo.

Nah, it's not a big issue. I just wanted to make sure you knew :).

No one can say with certainty, but i wouldn't worry about the ram being compatible. It's unbuffered, non-ecc, it's pretty standard. The chances of it being incompatible are lower than the chances of z170 never being compatible imo.

Cheers, Dave. I got a great deal on both so I've just ordered. Appreciate all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back