Contribute
Register

Motherboard and CPU advice: 100 or 200 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMA

Motherboard
Asus Z170-A
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there.

Need some advice on my second Hackintosh. Been very happy with my first build, but need a second computer. These are the following things I'm considering (mainly based on price and availability in my area, which are all quite similar).

CPU: i7 6700 ($216)
MOBO: Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3 ($155)

CPU: i7 6700 (again)
MOBO: Gigabyte H270-Gaming 3

(I'm mainly keen on this for potential future upgrades, and to have the USB 3.1 option, but will I encounter issues with the 6700, and/or Hacking this board?)

CPU i5 7500
MOBO: Gigabyte H270-Gaming 3

(I'm aware Kaby Lake isn't officially supported yet, but that some people have had success with fake skylake id etc.)

Not planning on overclocking and not looking into getting a graphics card (as of yet).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

D

I would go with option 3. If you don't mind the extra work for a Kaby Lake install. Not sure how you could get an I7-6700 for only $215.00 Is it used ?

Reactions: DMA
I would go with option 3. If you don't mind the extra work for a Kaby Lake install. Not sure how you could get an I7-6700 for only $215.00 Is it used ?
Thank you for your response! Actually, the i7 6700 is from a site similar to eBay in my country. Ever so often a company will sell OEM CPUs new for dirt cheap. No packaging, heatsink etc.

I'm definitely curious about the Kaby Lake option though. So do you think that it's something one should not be too intimidated by? This deal seems quite appealing to me at the price (would probably change out the heatsink):

MSI Z270 Tomahawk
i5 7600K
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x8)
Antec A30 CPU Cooler

All for $650 (cheap where I am).

https://www.evetech.co.za/intel-7th-gen-core-i5-7600k-gaming-upgrade-kit/best-deal/2514.aspx

My only other components will be:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Chassis
Antec HCG 620W 80 Plus Bronze PSU

Do you think this might work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back