Contribute
Register

Most Powerful CustoMac Server - 2xXeon/2xGTX580/64GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there guides for successful two CPU systems builds? Was trying to convince a friend if mine to build a hackintosh but he was insisting on two CPUs.

Gordo74 said:
tonymacx86 said:
Gordo74 said:
I would think dual 6870's would actually be faster due to the HORRIBLE OpenGL performance of nVidia cards in OSX right now. A 570 only benches about 30FPS in Cinebench, whereas a 6870 does about 55ish.

Cinebench is broken and outdated- try LuxMark or Heaven after OpenCL- the NVIDIA cards perform much better.

LuxMark is good, however, Heaven is strictly geared toward the newest cards with tessellation, so it is a bit skewed.

I've gotten 48 with a GTX 570 and an i5 2500k. I'll have to try out Heaven with the 570 and see how it does. Other than benchmarking, how many people actually use openGL apps in OS X? What level cards produce the skew in your view? Just curious...

wfj said:
I've gotten 48 with a GTX 570 and an i5 2500k. I'll have to try out Heaven with the 570 and see how it does. Other than benchmarking, how many people actually use openGL apps in OS X? What level cards produce the skew in your view? Just curious...

For example of the skew: A 5870 puts up equal frames to a 6950 in real world test, but loses to a 6870 in benchmarks.

Anyone who games in OSX uses OpenGL apps. DirectX does not function on OSX.

Gordo74 said:
wfj said:

For example of the skew: A 5870 puts up equal frames to a 6950 in real world test, but loses to a 6870 in benchmarks.

Anyone who games in OSX uses OpenGL apps. DirectX does not function on OSX.

Must depend on the specific benchmark...most that I've seen have the 5870 slightly ahead vs. the 6870. I don't imagine too many people use OSX specifically for gaming (especially the Hack crowd). To each his own however:)

Posted Heaven results with gtx 570:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=52970&p=333619#p333619

Well this is a little bit more than what I am looking for. I am wanting to build a hackintosh with 12 core processing, 32 to 64 gigs of ram, and best graphics cards I can find. I do a lot of after effects work and 3d rending and I will have the money. Can someone help make a list of parts

Halo doc said:
Well this is a little bit more than what I am looking for. I am wanting to build a hackintosh with 12 core processing, 32 to 64 gigs of ram, and best graphics cards I can find. I do a lot of after effects work and 3d rending and I will have the money. Can someone help make a list of parts

No. We wont go shopping for you. That's why we made the buyers guide on the blog.

Last time i checked SLI / CF was not supported in 10.6.8. So I can finally add another HD6870?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back