Contribute
Register

Most powerful build with the best compatibility (Maybe Xeon?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Windows Phone
Please apologies me if my post is not in the right forum or is in an existing thread. I will immediately correct it if needed.

Hi!
I hope everyone is well!

My name is Michaël and I am the happy owner of a Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2014 15" (2,8 GHz i7, 16 go DDR3 and Nvidia T 750M + Iris Pro) and 1To of flash

I think it is a great machine. It always has been blazing quick at doing graphic tasks.
Until I decide to buy this monitor : 31MU97 from LG which is a DCI 4K display (4096 x 2160)
Then everything took a hit. Playing 4K videos is painful, FaceTime is awfully buggy and Google Maps on this screen could heat my entire house how it is demanding on the computer.

Let's be honest, this is a 4.300$ computer and this kind of behaviour just because I hooked a 4K screen to it is kind of disappointing. I really feel I don't get performance for my money. I really expect this computer to do excellent even after 4 years.

What are my options?
I could sell this computer and buy the latest one. That would mean I would need to invest about 1.500$ extra to compensate lost value over time. Also, I'm considering buying a desktop and not a laptop because I have the 12" Macbook for on the go (it's perfect).

That would mean I would need to buy the Mac Pro which is a very bad choice as everyone knows. The price did not go down and the device is super duper old and even with the Apple-o-gises recently given, I'm not sure I want to wait for a disappointing 5year-ish renewal.

This is where the Hackintosh came to my mind. I love the fact that I could upgrade components over time and not the damn whole computer. Also, value for money seems to be excellent and way better than a mac computer. It's pretty obvious in my mind that I will build a Hackintosh with the money of my Macbook Pro.

What to build?

So this is where I seek help. I saw multiple very interesting builds but I still have some questions in my mind.

Here are my questions :
  1. I seek maximum compatibility over power but want the most powerful build I can do for a 5.000$ budget. (I don't want to over clock) should I consider a double xeon since I multitask a lot, like aaaaaaaaa lot? I saw we can get a matching pair for the cheap on eBay.
  2. What is the best recommendation for a graphic card since I maybe want to buy a second 31MU97 and have them side by side? I only plan to do some Photoshop, video enjoyment on YouTube and a lot of paper work (the giant screen give me lots of work space but need to be driven correctly, unless my actual setup) is AMD the way to go for now? Do I need 2 graphic cards? Can i get the support of 10-Bit Color Depth for my monitor?

I think that's all for now, I really appreciate the time you invest in this community and I am grateful of any help I receive.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Last edited:
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, similar budget, for a video editing machine. Curious as to what the most powerful CPU while still maintaining full compatibility will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back