Contribute
Register

Most of my personal files are randomly gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-Clover
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi everybody!
I am not active on this forum but I have read it a lot, and all the help provided here guided me to built a CustoMac that had worked wonderfully until now. Well, it stills seem to be working wonderfully, but most of my personal files just seem to be gone.

A little information:
I'm on a Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 with a Sandy Bridge i7 2600k on top of it, using Intel Graphics (OSX Lion) and 8GB RAM. Lion and most apps are installed on a 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD and there is a 1TB Samsung HDD installed (HD103SJ) that had a 700GB HFS+ partition named DATA where I kept most of my personal files. Additional partitions on the drive where a 200GB NTFS partition for a Windows 7 installation that I never use and a 100GB FAT32 partition that I had planned for cooperation between OSX and Windows (never used it much either).

In the DATA partition, I had a folder named 'Leo' which was probably about 240GB and had... well, all my files. It is the folder that I have been backing up from computer to computer since at least 1998.

I used my computer this morning, everything was OK, and shutted it down normally before going to work. I waited until the process was complete and then disconnected the power source. I don't usually do that, but today I am sure that the hard disk was not mistreated and there was no power shortage when it was writing data or anything. As I came back from work I turned on the computer and was surprised to find out that the wallpaper was the original Lion galaxy picture. The wallpaper I was using before was located in the 'Leo' folder I mentioned. I navigated the Finder to that folder and all I could see is three folders (and they only have one file each) summing up a total of 100MB. Of the around 240GB worth of files I had there, only 100MB remain.
Everything else seems to be there, OSX runs smoothly and as if nothing happened, other files outside that folder but in the same partition are all there, the other partitions in the drive work just fine (I just booted into Windows 7 and its OK), and the files are not in the Trash Bin. Booting into Windows and watching the drive through MacDrive gives me the same results.
I have run a "verify disk" on the partition within Disk Utility, which says: "The Volume DATA appears to be OK". If I check the size, it stills counts it's total size as 700GB, and the space used is the space used by the remaining files on the partition.
I didn't have much luck in Google, most of what I've found is about recovering accidentally deleted files (I swear I did not do that... and there was no one at home to do it), however I tried downloading the recommended Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery. The quick scan found nothing, now I am performing a thorough one which apparently is going to take ages. I do hope it's not writing data in the disk... but I guess if it's a data recovery application it should know that.
I luckily have a backup form March, but there was a lot that I gathered this year and it would be really sad to loose it. However, the worst part is not really knowing what happened. If I there had been a power shortage while I was moving a massive amount of files, or if I had left the computer on and there might have been a power peak, or even if the whole drive would have crashed and went bonkers, it would be much more comforting. What do you think happened? Does this happen...? Randomly loosing gigabytes within only one folder? Why are the other folders alright? I should replace the drive immediately, right? Or could this be some weird software-osx86 thing? Is there any way to get the files back?

Any help or hint or theory will be greatly appreciated! And thank you all very much for your great work and help with CustoMacs.

Cheers,
Leo.

Update: The Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery's thorough scan found nothing either

No way to tell what made the files disappear, but a redundant backup on a new drive is recommended.
My data loss is usually self inflicted, so I also keep a set of backup files on DVD or DVD DLs. A few 3 ring binders full of disks have saved me over the years. Good Luck. :wave:

I have a 3TB Time Machine and can finally sleep soundly. Sorry to hear about your files lost. Happened to me last spring (not the same way, though), that's why I bought the TM.

What about the drive? Once it fails, is it unreliable forever, or is it just as unreliable as any other drive?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back