Contribute
Register

Mooner's HackPro (Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 in Mac Pro case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize this is an old thread, I just wanted to mention this little gadget from OWC if future modders are looking to mount an SSD in their HackPro. :)

OWC Mount Pro

Nice but its blue :p lol

Not a bad find though.

Okay not blue; you can use an Icy Dock 2.5 into 3.5 converter: http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=80 to hold the SSD and then put it on a Mac Pro drive sled. I have one of these adapters and it is well done and a trick little device at about $15 US.

Good modding,
neil

Hi Mooner, Neilhart

I'm really impressed by your Mac Pro hacks. After building a G5 Hackintosh myself I now got a new project case from a 1,1 Mac Pro. Currently I'm gathering all the stuff and have a (dumb) question about this MiniSAS-Sata cable of yours. I naturally want to preserve the original hdd sleds and their functionality.

Did you only use the "barrel" and the cable from the kit you mentioned in the link? Is the PCIe card there only to add RAID functionality and not needed if one doesn't need RAID? At least to my eye it seemed that you had connected the SATA cables to the motherboard instead of the PCIe card.

I found several very cheap MiniSAS to 4xSATA cables from European eBay sites but no MiniSAS to MiniSAS "barrel" anywhere. USD 60 seems a bit expensive if one doesn't need the RAID functionality but like Neilhart said, it's well worth it if it works out of the box.

Hi Mooner, Neilhart

I'm really impressed by your Mac Pro hacks. After building a G5 Hackintosh myself I now got a new project case from a 1,1 Mac Pro. Currently I'm gathering all the stuff and have a (dumb) question about this MiniSAS-Sata cable of yours. I naturally want to preserve the original hdd sleds and their functionality.

Did you only use the "barrel" and the cable from the kit you mentioned in the link? Is the PCIe card there only to add RAID functionality and not needed if one doesn't need RAID? At least to my eye it seemed that you had connected the SATA cables to the motherboard instead of the PCIe card.

I found several very cheap MiniSAS to 4xSATA cables from European eBay sites but no MiniSAS to MiniSAS "barrel" anywhere. USD 60 seems a bit expensive if one doesn't need the RAID functionality but like Neilhart said, it's well worth it if it works out of the box.

Finndamage - I used only the "barrel" and the SATA cable assembly. As I recall I still had to make up a power adapter.

Good modding,
neil

Okay not blue; you can use an Icy Dock 2.5 into 3.5 converter: http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=80 to hold the SSD and then put it on a Mac Pro drive sled. I have one of these adapters and it is well done and a trick little device at about $15 US.

Good modding,
neil

Another option would be a WD IcePack which is an aluminum heatsink and 2.5 to 3.5" adapter that can be found separately from the VelociRaptor drives.
http://www.amazon.com/WDSL00S-IcePack-Drive-Mounting-Heatsink/dp/B008L5TQIS

Finndamage - I used only the "barrel" and the SATA cable assembly. As I recall I still had to make up a power adapter.

Good modding,
neil

Thank you Neilhart. This clears a lot. I also suspected that power was missing from those, so it must be handled otherwise.

Thank you Neilhart. This clears a lot. I also suspected that power was missing from those, so it must be handled otherwise.

Yes I have a Apple SATA shelf harness here in front of me. The power to the drives is via the 8 pin Molex. Some people have found the mating connector on Mouser's web site and build out a power solution that way. I cut off the 8 pin Molex and attached a PC style harness (solder splice).

SATA-Cbl.jpg

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back