Contribute
Register

Mooner's HackPro (Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 in Mac Pro case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished installing Lion now... WOW it was easy...

Used Tony's instructions:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmove-multibeast-install-os-x-107-lion.html

BUT -- I needed to add one minor change.

Step 3 would fail unless I manually mounted the MacOS X 10.7 Lion image before I started xMove. You can do this by opening the AppStore downloaded package.
- In the Applications folder, find the "Install MacOS X Lion.app" icon -- don't double click it... Right click on it and select the "Show Package Contents" option.
- Find the Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg file.
- Copy this DMG to a convenient location if you want or burn it to DVD/USB stick. (optional)
- Double click on the InstallESD.dmg file -- it will amount an image of the MacOS X Lion installer.

THEN run xMove.

Should be able to follow Tony's instructions after that point.

wooooooow man that is a really really sexy build!
congrats!

Mooner, do you remember what you did to get sound working in Lion? I've tried reinstalling ALC8xxHDA and AppleHDA Rollback with Multibeast, but with no luck.

gdtrfb24 said:
Mooner, do you remember what you did to get sound working in Lion? I've tried reinstalling ALC8xxHDA and AppleHDA Rollback with Multibeast, but with no luck.

You have to install your sound chipset's Non-DSDT HDAEnabler along with MacMan's driver and the rollback.

Yes, I had audio problems too. It was caused by having TOO MANY kexts installed. Follow these instructions and you should have an easy fix...

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19468

Mooner

I just ordered the SATA adapter should be here tomorrow, on the apple harness how did you come up with the order of the power cables since they are all black?

Is it as simple as it looks starting from the L side of the connector Black Red Black Yellow?

and did you run all 4 drives off one power cable or did you do 2?

thanks

For the SATA power harness, I used 2 separate power supply cables. It would have been simpler to use 1, but since the power supply had so many separate ports for drive power, there was no reason to be stingy... Also, I figured it would be far safer to use 2.

I simply used the order of the wires to determine what the wire "color order" should be. I used a "normal" SATA power cable to figure out which were ground, 3.3v, 5v and 12v wires. If I remember correctly, the 3.3v (orange on ATX) lines were not connected on the Apple wiring harness -- but don't take that for granted. Your harness might be different.

After I already completed soldering the wiring harness, I found that you could purchase the Molex connectors on Mouser.com. They are called Molex MicroFit 3.0 series connectors.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/43020-0801/?qs=th8CuLdcYnnUcp9LIcG6sw==

If I would have known that ahead of time, I would have used the existing Apple connector on the SATA power harness instead of splicing... But it was already too late for me...

Ok - trying to get USB 3.0 working... If any of you have used the same mobo as I did, you will find that the Etron USB 3.0 chipset is somewhat less supported than either the NEC or Renesas chipsets out there. I saw a couple postings suggesting that I could use the same Renesas/NEC Kext for the Etron chipset, so I gave it a try...

I found this USB 3.0 header to PCI slot internal cable on eBay -- it is made by BioStar. Since I'm using an mATX mobo, I have one slot that goes unused. This solution is ideal -- it allows me to use the 5th (otherwise unusable) PCI-e slot in the MacPro case. I'm surprised, but it seems that Gigabyte does NOT make a similar item... There are several other brands out there that are combined with SD/CF readers, but those need an open 3.5" front bay...

IMG_0731.JPG

Then, I simply ran MultiBeast and installed the Renesas/NEC Kext for USB 3.0 support. Now, I can see the SuperSpeed USB ports in my System Profiler. I can even see the attached device on that port (a standard USB 2.0 flash drive). But, even though it is recognized, the flash drive does NOT mount a file system...

2011-07-31-SystemProfiler.png

So still not working 100%... But getting closer...

EDITED: 2012-07-04 - MobileMe is down forever... Had to re-point my images...

Mooner

Do you know where I can find the edging material you used it looks good the guy you linked to on ebay does not have any listed. I emailed him to see if he still has any but not reply yet. I am going to keep an eye on ebay any thoughts.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back