Contribute
Register

Mooner's HackPro (Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 in Mac Pro case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm nearing completion...

Just got my OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD today. I was originally planning to install a RevoDrive SSD, but turns out you need one of the newer models (still expensive) to boot MacOS. So, went back to SATA III and got the nice and fast (and cheap!) Vertex 3...

I was going to install it in a standard Mac Pro hot swap bay -- but it doesn't quite work... Even though the Vertex came with a 3.5" adapter tray, the screw holes are not in a usable position. Also, the SATA port on the Vertex is not is a good location -- it doesn't line up at all with the drive tray.

So, to stop wasting time, I opted to use a thin neodymium magnet to just stick the thing to the side of the PSU. It is actually a convenient location - it doesn't displace anything else, conveniently located to power and easy to route/hide the SATA cable.

IMG_0724.JPG

Also found a good way to mount my Bluetooth card and DC converter. I put some 3M "Dual Lock" (kinda like velcro) on the PCBs and mounted just above the motherboard.

IMG_0722.JPG

Also had to change my heatsink choice. The Scythe Ninja 3 was my original choice, but it was just too damn big. It blocked one of the DIMM slots and made the fan mounting choice less than optimal...

So, I switched it for a Scythe Mugen. Fits much better.

IMG_0725.JPG

The almost finished machine...

EDITED: 2012-07-04 - MobileMe is down forever... Had to re-point my images...

Almost forgot! Here's how I covered the sharp edges after cutting the back panel.

I used Trim-Lok X1002, Rubber Edge Trim, 1/16" -- bought it on eBay... Very cheap and looks decent!!

Here is a cross section of a thin slice of the edging material:

IMG_0726.jpg

It fits perfectly on the cut perforated metal (aluminum) part of the case. Here you can see how it easily bends around the corners for the Power Supply and the ATX connector holes.

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

EDITED: 2012-07-04 - MobileMe is down forever... Had to re-point my images...

that edging material looks really slick! Very nice!

That's a great idea and will be adding it to my build. For the apple bluetooth adapter, where did you find the 5v to 3.3v converter? Also, are you using the antenna? I just purchased the adapter on ebay and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an antenna.

mooner said:
Mine came together... Cable and "SAS barrel" adapter.

Is this what you ordered??

http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=176

As it turns out the supplier did not ship the SAS barrel adapter. I called and he sent out immediately so I had it in two days.

I just now had a chance to test the cable adapter and am very happy to find that it works great.

Again, I find your build detail very interesting. Just saw the "edge trim" posting and agree it is a very good solution to the problem.

neil

Hi Guys - Thanks for the continued interest in my build.

Edge trim was actually hard to find... It is readily available in 1000' foot rolls, but hard to find in smaller quantities. I eventually found this guy on eBay selling by the foot. Here is the current eBay listing: $1/foot

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280690614114

As for Bluetooth -- I used the Mac Pro internal Bluetooth antenna. It is nicely hidden under the PCI-e slot bracket in the back of the case. I really wanted to use the existing antenna so I wouldn't need any additional case mods... The 5v DC to 3.3v DC converter was actually found by someone in the Bluetooth thread I mentioned earlier... Here is the module I purchased on eBay: $4

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380319575804

clarabow said:
I tried everything post here and nothing worked until I found this info:

You need to specify the PCI RootID in boot.plist in order for the Apple Store to work under Lion and under 10.6.8. Using the latest or a recent version of Chameleon, add this -

PCIRootUID=1 or 0

The majority of Gigabyte boards are 1, the rest 0; This can be done from MultiBeast under boot options; just check the PCIRootUID box and reboot! It worked for me! I had tried everything in the Apple forums and here! Good Luck!

This posting has solved my AppStore problems... Thanks Clarabow!! Here is the rest of the thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23001&start=20

Thanks Mooner! I found the apple BT adapter, converter, external antenna, and Mini Pci to RP-SM cable on ebay. I'm currently using a asus dongle and I'm tired of my apple bluetooth keyboard losing connection all the time.

Ok -- had some major frustration trying to get 3 monitors working... 2 monitors happened without even lifting a finger. Another thread here mentioned that you need ACTIVE mini-display port adapters if you wanted to use more than 2 monitors. The Active Adapters did the trick. For some reason, I needed to use 2 of them (maybe because my big monitor is 1920x1200??).

I have an SGI display (1600x1024) connected to DVI and the other SGI display (1600x1024) and my Dell display (1920x1200) both connected via Mini-DisplayPort...

I purchased 2 of these adapters:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004071ZXA/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

41oA9lxKFkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

No kexts or even any configuration was needed. The adapters sense valid resolution choices perfectly and pop up working immediately after plugging in. Seemed to work better plugging the adapter into the DVI cable and monitor first - then into the video card last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back