Contribute
Register

Monterey/Ventura on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

@rafale77 No - you don't need to rename EC0 with SSDT-EC. You'll have an EC0 and an EC in your IORegistry - perfectly acceptable.

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 4.25.07 PM.png

_OSI->XOSI is not required for dual-boot. It's for macOS.

EDIT: If your rig hangs during boot when you add SSDT-EC without renaming EC0->EC, then there's something else wrong with your EFI.

@rafale77 No - you don't need to rename EC0 with SSDT-EC. You'll have an EC0 and an EC in your IORegistry - perfectly acceptable.

View attachment 539469

_OSI->XOSI is not required for dual-boot. It's for macOS.

EDIT: If your rig hangs during boot when you add SSDT-EC without renaming EC0->EC, then there's something else wrong with your EFI.
Just for me edification...
What does the XOSI SSDT do? I understand it is to enable the SSDT_XOSI but I am observing that it is used to emulate a Windows OS thus my assumption that it was related to dual boot. Removing doesn't appear to do anything to my configuration so I am not sure what is missing.

The SSDT I am replacing with the dortania version is the USBX SSDT. If I only use the USBX SSDT instead of the EC_USBX-Desktop SSDT then my config won't boot without the EC0->EC patch. I ended up editing the latter SSDT to remove all the fluff and just keeping the EC and USBX part and that seems to work fine. I don't have SSDT-EC.

Edit: quick search on the XOSI yielded that it is useful to spoof the OS for I2C devices like integrated trackpads on some laptops. It is probably safe to remove for all desktops and our units in particular.

Last edited:
@rafale77 If you found someone who characterizes XOSI as something to "spoof the OS for I2C devices" and they're saying that's all it does, I'd suggest finding another source. XOSI's value depends on the original, unpatched ACPI. Our EliteDesk 800's have ACPI code paths that aren't executed when OS = "Darwin" (macOS). I first learned about _OSI -> XOSI from Rehabman when it was important for proper USB functionality on a particular rig I was patching.

Sorry if I'm appearing to debate the issue - I'm not. There is certainly more than one way to skin this cat.

Last edited:
@rafale77 If you found someone who characterizes XOSI as something to "spoof the OS for I2C devices" and they're saying that's all it does, I'd suggest finding another source. XOSI's value depends on the original, unpatched ACPI. Our EliteDesk 800's have ACPI code paths that aren't executed when _OSI = "Darwin" (macOS). I first learned about _OSI -> XOSI from Rehabman when it was important for proper USB functionality on a particular rig I was patching.

Sorry if I'm appearing to debate the issue - I'm not. There is certainly more than one way to skin this cat.
I am searching...

I am not finding that it is useful for anything else, as you can see the dortania guides only recommend this SSDT for laptops. Not for desktops. So the rename patch probably still enables somethings in the ACPI but the SSDT appears to be unnecessary.

I have attached my current updated "lean" EFI and I don't appear to have lost any functionality. I have all continuity/watch unlock/sleep functioning so I am curious as to what provides on our machines.

Attachments

• EFI0.7.7.zip
    67.3 MB · Views: 133
@rafale77 The Dortania Guide also advises against the use of SMBIOS MacMini8,1 for all but NUCs. It is well-written, though. You'll also find that you can remove SSDT-DMAC, SSDT-XSPI, SSDT-PPMC and you can enable HPET and you won't notice anything. Again, there are code paths in ACPI that depend on _OSI() returning true for a Windows OS version. I would suggest extracting and carefully reviewing your DSDT to find those code paths (which differ for different Windows version).

EDIT: @rafale77 I was looking back at the origins of the XOSI patch and found a Rehabman git repository where he applies the patch for his NUCs. If you don't feel like extracting your DSDT to learn how/why the XOSI patch works, maybe it's sufficient that Rehabman used it for NUCs and our EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Minis are very similar to NUCs. For anyone who really wants to understand _OSI->XOSI (including why it requires both the _OSI->XOSI rename and the XOSI SSDT), extracting and reviewing the DSDT is the best way to learn (my opinion). Start here.

EDIT2: Rehabman's explanation of the XOSI patch in this thread is a good reference, too.

EDIT3: I posted my OC 0.7.7 EFI here.

Last edited:
I placed a link to this Monterey thread in Post #1 of the Big Sur thread. I'll continue to maintain the Big Sur thread for as long as I'm running Big Sur (which will be until XCode updates require Monterey). After I transition to Monterey, I'll discontinue my maintenance of the Big Sur thread and will defer to this thread for HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini support. Thanks everyone for this fantastic team effort!

I updated to 12.2 a couple of hours ago, I'm on OC 7.5, so far so good! The update went great without issues, I'm going to keep using this version and report back if I happen to find any issues.

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 23.51.25 PM.png

If history serves as an indicator, I'm going to be switching from Big Sur to Monterey soon, so that I can continue updating XCode on my hack. When that happens, I will no longer be maintaining the Big Sur Thread and this Monterey Thread will become the baseline. It has been helpful for me to standardize EFIs and to attached those standardized EFIs to the first post in the thread, so that submitted problems are easier to diagnose. Going forward, the approach for Monterey will be up to all of you who participate in this thread. You'll want to decide whether you want to standardize your EFIs and whether you want those standardized EFIs to be attached to the first post in this thread.

Updated to 12.2.1 without a hitch

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 22.03.59.png

Also updated the BIOS to the latest 02.12.00 and subsequently OC to 0.7.8. All without any problem.

Last edited:
Back