Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Monterey Update 12.3.1 => 12.4 Kernel Panic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. Well they are same thing anyways (300 series) so my settings should work for you.
If you are going to boot Monterey 12.4 I suggest to turn off XHCIPortLimit and enable XHCI-unsupported.kext
and the other kexts I mentioned - and then turn off USBInjectall once you have your USB map. Also make sure device-id and AAPL,ig-platform-id is Coffee Lake (from the Dortania guide). Your Vega64 dGPU is natively supported so you shouldn't need anything else in the boot-arg.
Thanks for advice. I test this next when I have a better time to concentrate to the this thing. I inform how was results.

Heyas, apologies for not replying in time, really busy week.

Anyway, I came back to announce that I've successfully updated to 12.4 BUT there are a few caveats.

First things first, I believe the kernel panic I am having seems to be USB related!.... the culprit are some remnants I carried over from Clover kernel paths. Attaching a screenshot bellow.
Screenshot 2022-06-16 at 10.08.46 pm.png

These are two kernel paths I copied over from this guide by MacMan's Build.

For your information I have a CustomUsbPortMap.kext. In the first stage I removed the kernel patches and added the USBinjectAll and enabled XhciPortLimit. Mac updated just fine however, the idiot I am, didn't see that the USB keyboard/mouse would not light up. Update finished, and I had no keyboard and mouse. Off I had to restart to Windows, and modify the EFI folder from there.

Eventually disabled these two kernel patches, USBinjectAll and XhciPortLimit. It was at least one of these two patches which caused a kernel panic. After restarting my USB returned back to normal... now much question, is it that I have a CustomUsbPortMap.kext?

How do I know that my custom usb kernel is working all right? I would think that it does since I have disabled all the above I have my keyboard? I am asking as I am trying to get the single USB-C / Thunderbold port working.

Heyas, apologies for not replying in time, really busy week.

Anyway, I came back to announce that I've successfully updated to 12.4 BUT there are a few caveats.

First things first, I believe the kernel panic I am having seems to be USB related!.... the culprit are some remnants I carried over from Clover kernel paths. Attaching a screenshot bellow.View attachment 549770
These are two kernel paths I copied over from this guide by MacMan's Build.

For your information I have a CustomUsbPortMap.kext. In the first stage I removed the kernel patches and added the USBinjectAll and enabled XhciPortLimit. Mac updated just fine however, the idiot I am, didn't see that the USB keyboard/mouse would not light up. Update finished, and I had no keyboard and mouse. Off I had to restart to Windows, and modify the EFI folder from there.

Eventually disabled these two kernel patches, USBinjectAll and XhciPortLimit. It was at least one of these two patches which caused a kernel panic. After restarting my USB returned back to normal... now much question, is it that I have a CustomUsbPortMap.kext?

How do I know that my custom usb kernel is working all right? I would think that it does since I have disabled all the above I have my keyboard? I am asking as I am trying to get the single USB-C / Thunderbold port working.
once you have a USPorts.kext, you remove/disable the patches you mentioned

EDIT: XhciPortLimit was killing the back panel USB ports for some reason. Out of all my ports only the internal ones worked (one bluetooth connected to wifi, and one USB connected to the front panel. So all the back panel USB ports were dead.

I managed to log in with a wireless mouse and onscreen keyboard. Discovered the ports using USBMap (not hackintool) created kext. Disabled XhciPortLimit, added new kext. All ports now work, even the one in the front panel.

once you have a USPorts.kext, you remove/disable the patches you mentioned

Thanks, I am trying to rework the custom USB port kext. Is it normal the XhciPortLimit making my USB ports not to function.

That is with USBinjectAll.kext only (without any USB patch)

Last edited:
EDIT: XhciPortLimit was killing the back panel USB ports for some reason. Out of all my ports only the internal ones worked (one bluetooth connected to wifi, and one USB connected to the front panel. So all the back panel USB ports were dead.

I managed to log in with a wireless mouse and onscreen keyboard. Discovered the ports using USBMap (not hackintool) created kext. Disabled XhciPortLimit, added new kext. All ports now work, even the one in the front panel.

Thanks, I am trying to rework the custom USB port kext. Is it normal the XhciPortLimit making my USB ports not to function.

That is with USBinjectAll.kext only (without any USB patch)
yes XhciPortLimit is broken in Monterey

Thanks for advice. Now it update to 12.4. When I disabled XhciPortLimit and update USBinjectAll to latest version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back