Contribute
Register

Monterey RX 5700XT WON'T load after first boot: IOConsoleUsers:gIOScreenLockState BOOTLOOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-970-Gaming
CPU
FX-8320
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
After installing Monterey 12.6.2, I can boot normally in the initial setup and subsequently in the OS (I've even run benchmarks for that matter). Everything perfect, ready to go. Except, it's not...

Only when I reboot after that first load, that I get the IOConsoleUsers:gIOScreenLockState in a loop with crazy green video artifacts in the screens.

I've made my own OpenCore build for my hardware and can use BigSur and Catalina normally without any problems. I really don't understand what is going on.

Things I've tried already:

* Dortania's entire troubleshooting section for the error.
* Troubleshooting the GPU (RX 5700XT)
* Flashing other VBIOS ROMs for the GPU (Including ones I'm sure works with Monterey).
* Installing previous Monterey version builds (12.5+).
* Skipping the inital setup screen to load directly in the OS.
* Changing the wallpaper.
* Installing with another GPU and booting with RX 5700XT.

Nothing seems to work. My build is supposed to be good as it is. The only detail is that I'm using a prebuilt SSDT (Not sure if that could be the culprit).

Observation: (I'm using agdpmod=pikera in the boot-arg in case anyone wonders).

I can send my EFI and config.plist if anyone is interested.

Really hope someone can give me an insight here.

After installing Monterey 12.6.2, I can boot normally in the initial setup and subsequently in the OS (I've even run benchmarks for that matter). Everything perfect, ready to go. Except, it's not...

Only when I reboot after that first load, that I get the IOConsoleUsers:gIOScreenLockState in a loop with crazy green video artifacts in the screens.

I've made my own OpenCore build for my hardware and can use BigSur and Catalina normally without any problems. I really don't understand what is going on.

Things I've tried already:

* Dortania's entire troubleshooting section for the error.
* Troubleshooting the GPU (RX 5700XT)
* Flashing other VBIOS ROMs for the GPU (Including ones I'm sure works with Monterey).
* Installing previous Monterey version builds (12.5+).
* Skipping the inital setup screen to load directly in the OS.
* Changing the wallpaper.
* Installing with another GPU and booting with RX 5700XT.

Nothing seems to work. My build is supposed to be good as it is. The only detail is that I'm using a prebuilt SSDT (Not sure if that could be the culprit).

Observation: (I'm using agdpmod=pikera in the boot-arg in case anyone wonders).

I can send my EFI and config.plist if anyone is interested.

Really hope someone can give me an insight here.
best to upload your EFI

There you go. Hope you catch it!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
Just tried that. Absolutely no change.

This is what the Dortania Troubleshooting guide says about the I0ConsoleUsers kernel panic.

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 21.56.22.png

As you are using an FX-8320 CPU, your system lacks an IGPU. So the bottom three issues can be ignored.

The CSM option in the Bios may be something you need to check.

You should check the version of WhateverGreen.kext you are using, if you are using it.

Do you have a custom SSDT or any DeviceProperties set in your config.plist for your RX 5700 XT? If yes, which framebuffer patches or SSDT are you using?

Lost the count how many times I went through it.

- I can confirm CSM is disable in the bios.

- I'm using the WhateverGreen's latest version (v.1.6.2).

- No custom SSDT. I'm just using the default Dortania's prebuilt for Bulldozer.

pic-selected-221222-2031-47.png

UPDATE: After some extensive tests with a KVM/GPU Passthrough environment I can say this issue is being caused by the following patch on Bulldozer chips with Monterey only:

I'm currently checking commits and testing other versions.

Monterey boots 100% normally with the RX 5700XT and the CPU isolated with the Penryn model passed to the guest.

Which AMD kernel patch are you saying is the cause of the issues you have encountered?

Try this Revised EFI on your AMD FX system, see if it works any better. I have made a few edits to the sub-folder contents and config.plist, which will hopefully get you booting in to macOS Monterey.

Post a screenshot of any kernel panic text, if you get stuck at any point.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back