Contribute
Register

Monterey Public Beta on Asus X99 Deluxe II

Status
Not open for further replies.
** OpenCore 0.7.2 EFI for Asus X99 Deluxe II **
Supports Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Update to OpenCore 0.7.2 using HackinDROM App

If making manual changes to OpenCore config.plist, please ensure that OpenCore Configurator is set to either 0.7.2 Development Version or 0.7.2 Release Version

This update includes:

1. OpenCore 0.7.2
3. AppleALC 1.6.3
4. Lilu 1.5.5
5. WhateverGreen 1.5.2

Changes to config.plist:
  • None (schema updated for 0.7.2)

Reminder:
  • Radeon VII users must disable boot argument agdpmod=pikera. Vega users may need to do the same.

If using OpenCore Configurator, please ensure it is set to 0.7.2 Development Version or 0.7.2 Release Version.

For manual update purposes, the ZIP file is attached below.

Updates:
  • 2 Aug 2021: First version
  • 3 Aug 2021: Change APFS Min Date/Version to "ANY" or "-1"

Attachments

• EFI-OC-072-ASUS-X99-DELUXE-II.zip
    7 MB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Hey there,

I'm using your latest EFI folder attempting to install Big Sur but running into the dreaded [EB]#LOG:EXITBS:START] error when trying to boot the installer. I've done my due diligence around Google but I haven't run into anyone else running an x99 system with the same problem.

Asus x99 Deluxe II
i7-6950x
ROG STRIX LC Radeon 6800xt
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS
OpenCore Configurator 7.2

-v and agdpmod=pikera added to boot args

Some things I've tried:
- Read through the OpenCore github for Big Sur, everything relating to x99 seems to be taken care in your build
- Read through the Kernel Issues section on OpenCore github specific to [EB]#LOG:EXITBS:START], didn't see anything that you haven't included in your build
- Added agdpmod=pikera boot arg for 6800xt
- Tried with both Displayport and HDMI cables

Config attached. Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to provide!

Attachments

• config.plist
    72.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1608.jpeg
    IMG_1608.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
@psymbionic,

Please see the post below in which there’s a modified BIOS with unlocked MSR 0xE2 register (CFG-Lock disabled). The post also contains instructions for installing the BIOS.

@psymbionic,

Please see the post below in which there’s a modified BIOS with unlocked MSR 0xE2 register (CFG-Lock disabled). The post also contains instructions for installing the BIOS.
Thanks @CaseySJ! I'll give this a shot.

Question, is there a reason why you haven't used an unlocked version of the latest BIOS 2101? Perhaps that version isn't able to be unlocked? I found that I'm having trouble getting a 2101 version that I patched for MSR unlock / Microcode update to FlashBack. It would be my preference to use the later BIOS version if possible because it solved a couple issues with my hack.

Thanks @CaseySJ! I'll give this a shot.

Question, is there a reason why you haven't used an unlocked version of the latest BIOS 2101? Perhaps that version isn't able to be unlocked? I found that I'm having trouble getting a 2101 version that I patched for MSR unlock / Microcode update to FlashBack. It would be my preference to use the later BIOS version if possible because it solved a couple issues with my hack.
Unfortunately I did not patch BIOS 1803 myself, but got it from someone who was good enough to reply to a request from me. If the latest BIOS contains support for Resizable BAR, then it may be best to avoid it.

Hey @CaseySJ -

First off, I'm attaching a copy of the latest 2101 BIOS that has MSR unlocked and MicroCode updated. Looks like Resizable Bar isn't available on any x99 system, so no worries there.

(A quick note for anyone reading: if you're trying to FlashBack your BIOS but you're using a USB flash drive that used to have an EFI folder on it, you'll need to format it with Master Boot Record to remove the EFI partition and allow the FlashBack to proceed.)

After installing Big Sur via an authentic Mac and an external NVMe enclosure, I'm unfortunately running into a new issue whenever I try to boot Big Sur. It happens after selecting my Big Sur volume and reads: "ACPI: executed X blocks opencore module-level executable AML code" and then reboots.

Reading up on this suggests an SSDT issue. Perhaps because I'm using a different CPU? I reread through the OpenCore manual, but Broadwell-E ACPI support requirements all seem to be included in your EFI. On my past Clover installation, I had to manually build a SSDT per KGP's instructions, but I'm guessing that isn't really relevant anymore based on my (honestly limited) understanding of OpenCore.

EDIT: actually after going back to your Vanilla EFI folder (instead of Debug version), I caught a different error with an extra few lines of code. Now stuck at "HID: Legacy shim 2" before rebooting. I tried my EFI on a USB 2.0 drive in a 2.0 slot, but no change. I read through the OpenCore manual section regarding this error, and not seeing any possible solutions (Above 4G Encoding is on, no Resizable Bar (last BIOS update was 2019 before Resizable Bar become a thing), npci=0x2000 is added, Samsung 970 Evo is on latest firmware, CSM disabled, Windows UEFI mode selected in Secure Boot, etc).

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• X99 Deluxe II BIOS 2101 (MSR Unlock Patched & Microcode Updated).zip
    7.1 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1636.jpeg
    IMG_1636.jpeg
    779.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1631.jpeg
    IMG_1631.jpeg
    866.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
@psymbionic,

Quick question: Because your CPU has 10 cores and mine has 6, have you modified/updated TscAdjustReset kext?

Hey there @CaseySJ, no luck after updating TscAdjustReset plist for my 20 thread / 10 core CPU. Same exact issue (the system either freezes or reboots). I also tried VoodooTSCSync which gives me a slightly different error, attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1637.jpeg
    IMG_1637.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 72
Hey there @CaseySJ, no luck after updating TscAdjustReset plist for my 20 thread / 10 core CPU. Same exact issue (the system either freezes or reboots). I also tried VoodooTSCSync which gives me a slightly different error, attached.
Couple of comments:
  • My EFI is using KGP's custom FakeSMC. In all 3 of your screenshots we see what appears to be crash in FakeSMC:
    Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 3.01.13 PM.png
  • Option 1: We can disable FakeSMC and its four sensor kexts, and install VirtualSMC instead:
    • VirtualSMC.kext
    • SMCSuperIO.kext
    • SMCProcessor.kext
  • Option 2: We can enable AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock temporarily to see whether that makes a difference.
Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 3.04.40 PM.png

Hey @CaseySJ -

First off, I'm attaching a copy of the latest 2101 BIOS that has MSR unlocked and MicroCode updated. Looks like Resizable Bar isn't available on any x99 system, so no worries there.

(A quick note for anyone reading: if you're trying to FlashBack your BIOS but you're using a USB flash drive that used to have an EFI folder on it, you'll need to format it with Master Boot Record to remove the EFI partition and allow the FlashBack to proceed.)

After installing Big Sur via an authentic Mac and an external NVMe enclosure, I'm unfortunately running into a new issue whenever I try to boot Big Sur. It happens after selecting my Big Sur volume and reads: "ACPI: executed X blocks opencore module-level executable AML code" and then reboots.

Reading up on this suggests an SSDT issue. Perhaps because I'm using a different CPU? I reread through the OpenCore manual, but Broadwell-E ACPI support requirements all seem to be included in your EFI. On my past Clover installation, I had to manually build a SSDT per KGP's instructions, but I'm guessing that isn't really relevant anymore based on my (honestly limited) understanding of OpenCore.

EDIT: actually after going back to your Vanilla EFI folder (instead of Debug version), I caught a different error with an extra few lines of code. Now stuck at "HID: Legacy shim 2" before rebooting. I tried my EFI on a USB 2.0 drive in a 2.0 slot, but no change. I read through the OpenCore manual section regarding this error, and not seeing any possible solutions (Above 4G Encoding is on, no Resizable Bar (last BIOS update was 2019 before Resizable Bar become a thing), npci=0x2000 is added, Samsung 970 Evo is on latest firmware, CSM disabled, Windows UEFI mode selected in Secure Boot, etc).

Any thoughts?
I've got the same error on my X79 system with Monterey beta and hyper threading enabled. During boot it reaches various boot phases then reboot (HID shim, weg operations, SuperIO loading and something related to APFS) with no errors. If I disable HT the system boots with no problem. On Big Sur and older this doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back