Graphics
W6800, Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

First time poster here.

I attempted to upgrade to 12.0.1 using software update from 11.6 Big Sur. The download worked fine, initial installation was fine (before restart). Then it asked me to re-boot to continue. At that point, a new partition appeared in the EFI boot screen called simply "Macintosh HD", and was selected by default. I don't have any drives by this name, so I let it proceed based on thinking it was a temporary partition created to aid in updating the OS. I could not get past the white Apple logo on black screen (see attached image). I turned off power, and this time booted from my regular Mac HD. This took me back into Big Sur, and at the same prompt before I restarted that initiates the install of Monterey. I tried a second attempt with the same outcome. I appreciate anyone who wants to jump in to help troubleshoot.

Gigabyte X299 DESIGNARE EX LGA 2066 ATX
Intel 10940x 14-core
Open Core 0.7.4
Radeon VII
LG Ultrafine 5k via thunderbolt on mobo
NVMe boot drive

I created a backup before starting all of this, so no issues if I have to roll back, though there are Monterey features I'd like to take advantage of.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0730.jpeg
    IMG_0730.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
I resolved my issue by using the CpuTscSync kext instead of TSCAdjustReset.

We have almost the exact same setup, glad you are doing ok, I'm worried my Samsung NVMe would spaz out like others with the long trim time... Cheers!

I resolved my issue by using the CpuTscSync kext instead of TSCAdjustReset.
Hello @ThetaK7 would you be kind enough to share the EFIs (for BigSur and for Monterey please) you have used?
I have a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 9, i9-10980x3, Radeon Vega Frontier ... and after a thousand attempts I can't install (panic error ... etc). Thank you.

Hi @maryhack2018 -

My EFI is attached. This is for Monterey, but I think could also work for Catalina. I use an LG UltraFine 5K display and a RAID array, both via Thunderbolt 3 (hence the mobo choice). I hope this works for you!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    19.2 MB · Views: 258
Hi @maryhack2018 -

My EFI is attached. This is for Monterey, but I think could also work for Catalina. I use an LG UltraFine 5K display and a RAID array, both via Thunderbolt 3 (hence the mobo choice). I hope this works for you!
Thank you @ThetaK7 , I test it and give feedback on how it went.

Hi @maryhack2018 -

Whoa, how did you get TB3 working?!
Does the TB3 connections ever crap out on you?
Mind sharing your BIOS settings as well please?

@gabevf I have been able to get TB# working on my board!
Bios -> ThunderBolt -> Security = No Security
Make sure the TB3 devices are turned on Prior to turning on the PC and booting into MacOS, then they show in System Profiler/Info. I haven't had mine crap out yet.

EDIT: You may need to rename the TB3 controller to get it to work properly, custom SSDT or AML file. I'll look for mine when I get home from work today...

@Jasoncole98 I see, you've got it working out of the box, so no Hot Plug? At least it doesn't go crazy on you – mine was losing connection all the time. Looks like you're not using any TB SSDT's in your EFI, either...
Have you been able to get the computer to sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back