Contribute
Register

Monterey and Gigabyte 6900XT, no HW Acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus z390 Master
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone.
I just bought a new Gigabyte 6900XT that is replacing my old Asus Vega64 card. The Vega64 card was working great on Monterey ( HW acceleration, resolution etc.. ), the 6900 is giving me some issues though.
I'm running Monterey 12.3.1 on Opencore 0.8.5 ( tried on 0.8.0 too without success ) using iMac19,1 as smbios.
Seems that the original Apple drivers is getting loaded and the path in IoReg is the right one. But I get the wrong underscaled resolution for the monitor and the HW Acceleration is off. The system is pretty laggy too.
I've tried to change the smbios to iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1 resetting the NVRam, but nothing changed.
What can I try to get the 6900 working?
Thanks for any help!

My build:
Monterey 12.3.1 on Opencore 0.8.5
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
i9 9900K
Gigabyte 6900XT GV-R69XTAORUS

Attachments

• photo_2022-10-15 22.49.15.jpeg
    photo_2022-10-15 22.49.15.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 49
  • photo_2022-10-15 22.49.22.jpeg
    photo_2022-10-15 22.49.22.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 47
  • config.plist
    28.2 KB · Views: 29
Hello everyone.
I just bought a new Gigabyte 6900XT that is replacing my old Asus Vega64 card. The Vega64 card was working great on Monterey ( HW acceleration, resolution etc.. ), the 6900 is giving me some issues though.
I'm running Monterey 12.3.1 on Opencore 0.8.5 ( tried on 0.8.0 too without success ) using iMac19,1 as smbios.
Seems that the original Apple drivers is getting loaded and the path in IoReg is the right one. But I get the wrong underscaled resolution for the monitor and the HW Acceleration is off. The system is pretty laggy too.
I've tried to change the smbios to iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1 resetting the NVRam, but nothing changed.
What can I try to get the 6900 working?
Thanks for any help!

My build:
Monterey 12.3.1 on Opencore 0.8.5
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
i9 9900K
Gigabyte 6900XT GV-R69XTAORUS

You need to spoof device-id try this config its your config I altered device properties

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 55
Thank you, but doesn't seems to work.
Now I've the right model of the card in system information but nothing more.
I noticed that the first two digits of the deviceid in the config.plist you sent was BF instead of AF ( I see AF in IoRegistery ), tried to change it and changing the smbios type but nothing changed.

Last edited:
Thank you, but doesn't seems to work.
Now I've the right model of the card in system information but nothing more.
I noticed that the first two digits of the deviceid in the config.plist you sent was BF instead of AF ( I see AF in IoRegistery ), tried to change it and changing the smbios type but nothing changed.

@deadsinn - What is the exact make and model of your card? If you have one of the 6900 Ultimate models, you likely have an XTXH card, which has the AF designation. However, the macOS doesn’t have drivers for this, and so it doesn’t load anything to enable hardware acceleration.

Fortunately, there is a workaround for this where you trick the macOS into recognizing the card as a BF model, and this is known as spoofing. There are two steps to this process that zappy is helping you with.

1. You must place the SSDT-BRG0.aml into your ACPI folder on your EFI, then make sure you enable that aml in your config.plist

2. Then, in the DeviceProperties section of your config.plist, you specify that your graphics card is a BF model.

By doing this, the macOS will then load the 6900XT drivers, which is compatible with the XTXH models.

Make sure to checkout the thread that zappy linked, especially near the end.

If you want, you can post your EFI and someone can make the necessary changes for you.

@deadsinn - What is the exact make and model of your card? If you have one of the 6900 Ultimate models, you likely have an XTXH card, which has the AF designation. However, the macOS doesn’t have drivers for this, and so it doesn’t load anything to enable hardware acceleration.

Fortunately, there is a workaround for this where you trick the macOS into recognizing the card as a BF model, and this is known as spoofing. There are two steps to this process that zappy is helping you with.

1. You must place the SSDT-BRG0.aml into your ACPI folder on your EFI, then make sure you enable that aml in your config.plist

2. Then, in the DeviceProperties section of your config.plist, you specify that your graphics card is a BF model.

By doing this, the macOS will then load the 6900XT drivers, which is compatible with the XTXH models.

Make sure to checkout the thread that zappy linked, especially near the end.

If you want, you can post your EFI and someone can make the necessary changes for you.

I'm on the Designare Z390 with a Sapphire Radeon RX 6900 XT Nitro+. Since I updated to OC 0.8.5 / Ventura I don't have HW acceleration anymore and I feel I've tried most things posted on several threads on here, but to no avail. Could you please have a look at my Config?

Thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    35.6 KB · Views: 27
I'm on the Designare Z390 with a Sapphire Radeon RX 6900 XT Nitro+. Since I updated to OC 0.8.5 / Ventura I don't have HW acceleration anymore and I feel I've tried most things posted on several threads on here, but to no avail. Could you please have a look at my Config?

Thanks!
Hi @Ponkass - I can take a look, but I really only have knowledge of how to spoof an XTXH card to make the macOS recognize it as an XT card. This would help you out if you have the Nitro+ SE version, vs the Nitro+ version.

I'm not sure why it work under your previous OS, then it breaks after you upgrade to Ventura. Were you running Monterey? Are all your kexts up to date?

It looks like you have it set to spoof. The only thing I can think of is to double check which version of the card you have. If you don't have the SE version, then you might want to try disabling the SSDT-BRG0.

Otherwise, I don't really see anything wrong. The only other things you could try is moving up WEG so that it loads after Lilu, but I don't think that should make a difference.

The other thing you could try is moving the card to a different slot, or if you have other PCI cards, to remove them and see if there is something conflicting.

Ted

PS. It looks like you have a couple of USBInjectAll kexts loading. I think you should only have one, and it is generally a temporary solution so that you can generate your own USB port map kext. That shouldn't affect your video card problem, but just a PSA.

Hi @Ponkass - I can take a look, but I really only have knowledge of how to spoof an XTXH card to make the macOS recognize it as an XT card. This would help you out if you have the Nitro+ SE version, vs the Nitro+ version.

I'm not sure why it work under your previous OS, then it breaks after you upgrade to Ventura. Were you running Monterey? Are all your kexts up to date?

It looks like you have it set to spoof. The only thing I can think of is to double check which version of the card you have. If you don't have the SE version, then you might want to try disabling the SSDT-BRG0.

Otherwise, I don't really see anything wrong. The only other things you could try is moving up WEG so that it loads after Lilu, but I don't think that should make a difference.

The other thing you could try is moving the card to a different slot, or if you have other PCI cards, to remove them and see if there is something conflicting.

Ted

PS. It looks like you have a couple of USBInjectAll kexts loading. I think you should only have one, and it is generally a temporary solution so that you can generate your own USB port map kext. That shouldn't affect your video card problem, but just a PSA.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just realized I'm an idiot and listed the wrong card. I have the XFX Radeon RX6900XT MERC 319! Does this change anything about your comments? :)

The card name seems to spoof correctly, but the device-ID is still 73af in system info.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just realized I'm an idiot and listed the wrong card. I have the XFX Radeon RX6900XT MERC 319! Does this change anything about your comments? :)

The card name seems to spoof correctly, but the device-ID is still 73af in system info.
@Ponkass - that makes more sense! That card is an XTXH.

Can you upload your SSDT-BRG0.aml file (which should be on your EFI, in your ACPI folder).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back